No announcement yet.

Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

Originally posted by hobeydog View Post
    Notre Dame's primary sports affiliation is with NBC.
    I fixed the typo in your quote above...

Truth be told, Notre Dame is actually a member of the WCHA and we've had them participating in a trial "loan-a-team" program since 1981. (This special program is current scheduled to end following the 2030-2031 season.) Once the Title IX crowd gets their way in North Dakota, and the men's team folds as well, we'll be moving Notre Dame into the NCHC for a two-year stint, 2021-2023.

After that is completed, they will become one of the charter teams of the PAC10 hockey conference along with ASU. There will be 20 conference games scheduled per season with Notre Dame and ASU each listed as the home team for 10 games. However since ASU still won't have a rink by then, all games will actually be played at Notre Dame. The teams will simply swap jersey colors home/road for each game. The 20 game conference schedule of the PAC10 hockey conference also allows for ample non-conference games to be scheduled.

Following the 2030-31 season, Notre Dame will be released from the WCHA to play as an independent, but in an ironic twist will only play intra-squad games going forward. All games will be covered lived in prime time on NBC in 3D ultra-vision with NBCSN simulcast proving additional camera angles, color commentary and running "Rudy" via picture-in-picture during all games.

Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      ACC should claim national titles in hockey
      Yes! How about some BC hockey players in those ACC ads that run every 5 minutes during national telecasts.

As an aside, has Syracuse or Pitt ever considered D-1 hockey? Any Terry Pegula types out there?

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        We don't live in "used to be's anymore..." Seriously. If you change this, it will turn the entire conference structure upside down. It's not that I don't agree, but we're not going back to the way it was. I didn't want to see the Big East (one of the greatest basketball conferences ever) break up either, but stuff happens...
        In the end, it's all about the Benjamins.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          Well, I don't have ESP. On further review, maybe HockeyBuckeye's first sentence (Post #1) can be read your way. Maybe. But I don't think the third sentence can. When all becomes "ALL," I don't see a lot of wriggle room.

Setting aside the question of who's been "bad," let's deal with the disagreement. If I understand it correctly, your position is that as long as a member school participates in most Big Ten sports, but has no program at all in the rest, that's OK. Apparently I'm also to assume that Club Sports "don't exist." But letting a school participate in B1G Varsity sports is unacceptable -- if they offer one or more Varsity sports in another league.

Whatever the merits, that's not the current rule. As others have pointed out, the inclusion of Johns Hopkins in the Lacrosse league set a precedent that one sport membership is OK. Still want to outlaw the practice? Go for it. Work through the system. Try to get a new rule passed. State your case!

Beyond "mixed feelings," what specific problems do you see with single sport membership? I look at the two deals that have been struck, and see a win-win situation for all concerned. Maybe I'm wrong to support those deals. But those wanting a ban need to tell me why. My feeling is that such a ban is a solution in search of a problem.
          You’re still misunderstanding. A full-time Big Ten member, of which ND and JHU are not, must participate in the Big Ten conference for a sport, if the school participates in that sport, and a big ten conference exists for that sport.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by hobeydog View Post
            Yes! How about some BC hockey players in those ACC ads that run every 5 minutes during national telecasts.

As an aside, has Syracuse or Pitt ever considered D-1 hockey? Any Terry Pegula types out there?
            Syracuse has D1 women's hockey.
            https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
            https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
            NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
            Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

My take-
              Conferences used to be a regional thing where tribes of schools can get together and economically play a sport. And at the end of the season, all is mixed into a tournament or bowl games to decide a national champion.

Then it started to take on more of an economic income device. PSU was added to the B1G, and quickly after that the BTN was formed- which added a lot of money into the coffers of the schools. Then all of the rest of the conferences saw that opportunity and joined into the fun of all of that. At THAT point, the whole point of conferences that we dreamed of in the past changed.

But it only *really * worked for football. It kind of worked pretty well for BB, but BB only conferences like the Big East were blown up by the money of football. Which changed things even more. (which begs the question- how many NC's did BC win for the BE vs. the ACC?)

The problem with all of that- it really didn't work for hockey, since the scales of schools participating varied all over the place- so it made more sense for the small schools to be more the traditional regional(ish) schools and let the big schools be more spread out.

Given ND's level of athletics- it kind of made sense originally that they would go HE. But since hockey is expensive, and ND isn't a hockey school, and there are smaller schools in HE- I see all of that contributing to ND needing to leave.

So lets look at the choices that they have to go- WCHA- the only "like" school there is BG (who have a large athletic budget relative to the rest of the schools). Not a great fit, but it could work. NCHC- like schools- Miami and WMU (the rest are down conferences or not)- again, could work, as the hockey budgets in that conference are clearly more. B1G- the entire conference are "like" schools, and even better, many are already traditional rivals in other sports, let alone the hockey history. Double bonus for how close 3 of the schools are relative to South Bend.

When it comes to simple logic, it just makes sense that ND would be in the B1G.

I'm ok with it.

For many of those reasons, I also see ASU being a member until more western schools start playing hockey. I know that ND complained about western travel, but ASU would be one weekend a year there- which is much less than going to the east coast every other weekend. The "politics" of large athletic programs would not be an issue, too.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                (which begs the question- how many NC's did BC win for the BE vs. the ACC?)
                One for the Big East and 3 for the ACC.

As to Notre Dame, it's my opinion that they probably wanted to join the B1G from the start and the conference played hardball to try and get ND to join in all sports. That didn't happen and the B1G folded first as their need to have Notre Dame was greater than Notre Dame's need to be in the B1G for hockey.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  I fixed the typo in your quote above...

Truth be told, Notre Dame is actually a member of the WCHA and we've had them participating in a trial "loan-a-team" program since 1981. (This special program is current scheduled to end following the 2030-2031 season.) Once the Title IX crowd gets their way in North Dakota, and the men's team folds as well, we'll be moving Notre Dame into the NCHC for a two-year stint, 2021-2023.

After that is completed, they will become one of the charter teams of the PAC10 hockey conference along with ASU. There will be 20 conference games scheduled per season with Notre Dame and ASU each listed as the home team for 10 games. However since ASU still won't have a rink by then, all games will actually be played at Notre Dame. The teams will simply swap jersey colors home/road for each game. The 20 game conference schedule of the PAC10 hockey conference also allows for ample non-conference games to be scheduled.

Following the 2030-31 season, Notre Dame will be released from the WCHA to play as an independent, but in an ironic twist will only play intra-squad games going forward. All games will be covered lived in prime time on NBC in 3D ultra-vision with NBCSN simulcast proving additional camera angles, color commentary and running "Rudy" via picture-in-picture during all games.

Ryan
                  This made me LOL...which is something I needed since I am still "recovering" from my team's ouster..

Comment

No
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Let me ask this and I'm not targeting hockey, but does this system allowing schools to be members of conferences for specific sports allow them to seed the sports they do well into conferences that they would have a better chance to dominate? Just a devils advocate question.

Comment

"It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                          Let me ask this and I'm not targeting hockey, but does this system allowing schools to be members of conferences for specific sports allow them to seed the sports they do well into conferences that they would have a better chance to dominate? Just a devils advocate question.
                          If your conference offers the sport, you must play in conference. If it doesn't, or you're an independent, you can go anywhere to help a conference get to 6 members and an AQ.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            If your conference offers the sport, you must play in conference. If it doesn't, or you're an independent, you can go anywhere to help a conference get to 6 members and an AQ.
                            I'm not 100% certain on this but to have the minimum 6 teams to have a sport be officially part of your conference such as when the B1G hockey conference was formed don't all 6 founding teams MUST be FULL FLEDGED members of the conference and not an associate member like Notre Dame currently is?
                            Which means if Penn State never formed their team and Notre Dame wanted to join for just hockey the B1G hockey conference couldn't have been formed under those circumstances?

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              No
                              Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                              Well said, guys!
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Notre Dame? There are still those who don't accept Rutgers and Maryland... (but thanks for the cable TV money)

Personally, not a huge fan of it but I get it - and understand why it makes some sense.
                                St. Norbert College Green Knights
                                NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                                NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                                NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                                ---
                                SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X