No announcement yet.

Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    agreed- it's where the real money in the B1G really is, anyway. Research budgets are about 5x athletics, on average. Oh, well.
    LOL- some one negatively rep'ed me for this post.

I honestly didn't know this fact until I started looking into school budgets. It's very true for all of the schools I looked into at the time- research trumps athletics all over the country, including schools that are not actually top research universities.

It's more true for Michigan, who has a $100M athletic budget, and $1B research budget. Mind you, there are only a handful of schools out there who have bigger athletic budgets than Michigan.

I don't understand how people think there's that much money in entertainment (sports) relative to research. Think about football, even- they play at home what 8 times a year, and up to 13 games on TV? Compare that with the research facilities going on all year round?

Money is in the academics and research. Pride is sports.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
      Without doing any research as to whether Iowa St fits in the B1G academically, I've always wondered why they aren't in the B1G geographically. Built in rivalry with Iowa, old rivalry from Nebraska's time in the Big 12, and a new border battle team in Minnesota.
      They don't bring new TV markets/revenue to the table? (Which helps explain Rutgers and Maryland...)
      St. Norbert College Green Knights
      NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
      NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
      NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
      ---
      SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Without doing any research as to whether Iowa St fits in the B1G academically, I've always wondered why they aren't in the B1G geographically. Built in rivalry with Iowa, old rivalry from Nebraska's time in the Big 12, and a new border battle team in Minnesota.
        Iowa State does, from what I remember, meet the basic qualifications. Which is being on this list:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asso...n_Universities

I’m not sure it meets he preferred qualifications.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I honestly didn't know this fact until I started looking into school budgets. It's very true for all of the schools I looked into at the time- research trumps athletics all over the country, including schools that are not actually top research universities.

It's more true for Michigan, who has a $100M athletic budget, and $1B research budget. Mind you, there are only a handful of schools out there who have bigger athletic budgets than Michigan.

I don't understand how people think there's that much money in entertainment (sports) relative to research. Think about football, even- they play at home what 8 times a year, and up to 13 games on TV? Compare that with the research facilities going on all year round?

Yeah, sports is just a cute sideshow. The public-facing front of a school, more or less. The real stuff happens in the labs.
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Iowa state isn't close. Its rated #115 in academics, that's at or near the bottom of the B1G. Its a second school in a small state - little new fanbase. Its in a modestly declining area of the country. It doesn't have a great football program - see Nebraska or even Rutgers.

Each spot in the B1G is precious and once offered will probably never be rescinded. So the decisions to add Penn St, Marlyand, Rutgers and Nebraska - were extremely well thought through from academic, athletic and national footprint points of view.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
              They don't bring new TV markets/revenue to the table? (Which helps explain Rutgers and Maryland...)
              That's fair.

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              Iowa state isn't close. Its rated #115 in academics, that's at or near the bottom of the B1G. Its a second school in a small state - little new fanbase. Its in a modestly declining area of the country. It doesn't have a great football program - see Nebraska or even Rutgers.

Each spot in the B1G is precious and once offered will probably never be rescinded. So the decisions to add Penn St, Marlyand, Rutgers and Nebraska - were extremely well thought through from academic, athletic and national footprint points of view.
              They have a decent football program, seems to be on an upturn IMO. They have had an above average basketball program in recent years. Nebraska has a great fanbase, but they haven't been relevant since the 90s. Rutgers a doesn't have a great anything.....c'mon man.....
              "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Yeah, but they all have world-class research. Even Nebraska, which has one of the best infectious disease programs in the country.
                Code:

Comment

Doesn't give the B1G an additional media footprint. Same reason the B1G would NEVER bring in Cincy or UMD or U of Penn or another school from Illinois or Marquette, etc.. And I don't think ISU has good enough credentials in the research or academics departments.

Comment

I agree totally alfablue, and why I gave you pos rep on that post, I believe it was that one? But I didn't know if the research taking precedence over athletics was a nationwide thing or not. If you talk to SEC football fans, you'd never know that was the case, lol. Good to know it is though, as sports are meaningless in the bigger picture, but mankinds health and welfare are far from meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
                      I agree totally alfablue, and why I gave you pos rep on that post, I believe it was that one? But I didn't know if the research taking precedence over athletics was a nationwide thing or not. If you talk to SEC football fans, you'd never know that was the case, lol. Good to know it is though, as sports are meaningless in the bigger picture, but mankinds health and welfare are far from meaningless.
                      I wouldn't call it meaningless, entertainment does have value.

But it's marginal relative to other things.

Comment

That's fair.

They have a decent football program, seems to be on an upturn IMO. They have had an above average basketball program in recent years. Nebraska has a great fanbase, but they haven't been relevant since the 90s. Rutgers a doesn't have a great anything.....c'mon man.....
                        Just a few years before Rutgers got the invite to join the B1G, they had 2 Top 25 like seasons in football in a 3-4 year period. I remember because I was debating a Cincy fb fan who was trying hard to brag up any and every Big East success in fb and bb. So when the B1G was checking out their resume, it looked better football wise than it has since they joined the B1G. That might say more about the quality of competition in the B1G compared to the old Big East than it says anything about Rutgers. And it was their media footprint and mostly, their research that got them the invite, not their sports.

Comment

I wouldn't call it meaningless, entertainment does have value.

But it's marginal relative to other things.
                          Well alfablue, I'm a huge sports fan, and movie fan and music fan, so I would love to agree with you that entertainment has value. But my religious beliefs always seem to force me to acknowledge that MOST entertainment has very little value.

The very little would include comedy, as laughter is good medicine. Now outside of the entertainment factor, sports has benefits to the person playing the sport, better health. But acting? At least music has the potential to be inspirational and to move people's emotions, it has shown to have medicinal value as well. But most music is used for negative things instead. And I guess acting and movies can also be used to inspire and to make people think, but again, same as music, far more often is used as a tool to manipulate or to inspire bad things.

I guess it's like anything else out there, religion, politics, etc., its just a tool that good people use to do good things and bad people use to do bad things, and far more people do bad things than good so its why so many people hate religion and politics, lol. And why I might have a negative view of entertainment, and my problem may be that I like entertainment too much? lol

But in the long run, entertainment rarely can claim to save lives, or greatly extend people's lives, etc.. That is all I was getting at.

Now how that has anything to do with Notre Dame? lol Some might say that Notre Dame is far too religious of an institution to fit into the B1G? They would kind of stick out in that regard if they did join the B1G.

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post

Now how that has anything to do with Notre Dame? lol Some might say that Notre Dame is far too religious of an institution to fit into the B1G? They would kind of stick out in that regard if they did join the B1G.
                            It was related to if ND fit into the CIC/BTAA or not. Asking if they have the academics and research to be a real part of the B1G or not.

I think their football program will always prevent that, which is a shame considering the amount of money they are loosing.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              All that matters is football and basketball. And even then, not really. The big ten is really just members of the CIC. Sports are entirely secondary.

As an aside, your comment about club sports was particularly eye roll worthy. It wasn’t needlessly disrespectful. The five people who might care about it aren’t in this conversation and none of that sub-D3 clap trap matters. Those sports matter about the same as much as the five-member A/V club.

Now that was needlessly disrespectful.
                              Huh? Your last comment was actually pretty funny, and I probably deserved it.

The problem was everything else you said to me. All off the mark; just arguing for argument's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                Huh? Your last comment was actually pretty funny, and I probably deserved it.

The problem was everything else you said to me. All off the mark; just arguing for argument's sake.
                                I must have completely misinterpreted your previous comment.

Sorry about that
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X