Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Nice Devils jersey!
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

From now on, he's "Copycat Willie":

Comment

If yesterday's #21 was well known to Tech hockey fans, then the #20 will be almost as well known. John Scott came to Tech known for his size and grit. With a lot of effort and perseverance, he made himself into one of the most well known names in the NHL, feared enforcer, funny man off the ice, All-Star MVP, author, engineer and a vocal supporter of Huskies Hockey.

So without further delay, "Heeeere's Johnny..."

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Blake was the third of four Pietila (so far) to wear the Michigan Tech colors, and was by far the most successful. He played in 153 games for the Huskies, netting 106 pts. From 2011 to 2013 three Pietilas were on the ice for the Huskies at the same time, making the second photo possible. Blake was drafted by the Devils and has played three seasons in their system earning a handful of games at the NHL level, but spending most of his time with their AHL team in Albany and now Binghamton.

Comment

Mike played parts of three seasons for the Huskies and also coached for a year in the USHL. Today you can still find him in the Copper Country, most recently as the CEO of Superior National Bank.

Comment

Mike is a Hancock native and his dad, Bob also played at Tech in the late 50's.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

He also just won the UPGA Best Ball over the weekend with Calumet native and former Huskies teammate Kevin Manninen.

http://www.miningjournal.net/sports/...0%88best-ball/

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  If yesterday's #21 was well known to Tech hockey fans, then the #20 will be almost as well known. John Scott came to Tech known for his size and grit. With a lot of effort and perseverance, he made himself into one of the most well known names in the NHL, feared enforcer, funny man off the ice, All-Star MVP, author, engineer and a vocal supporter of Huskies Hockey.
                  John Scott has been producing a pretty interesting/amusing podcast called "Dropping the Gloves."
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                    John Scott has been producing a pretty interesting/amusing podcast called "Dropping the Gloves."
                    Speaking of John Scott here is a comment made by Aaron Eckblad after being sucker punched by Max Domi the other night (eyes all black and blue)

“I didn’t see it coming, didn’t expect to get sucker punched,” Ekblad said. “I was a little worried, but in the end, a punch doesn’t really move the brain all that much. It wasn’t John Scott coming and punching you in the face."

Comment

https://twitter.com/WCHA_MHockey/sta...905469441?s=19

In other words; get ready for another roller coaster ride. (but worse)!

Comment

Did he ever answer why they have four?

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                          https://twitter.com/WCHA_MHockey/sta...905469441?s=19
                          In other words; get ready for another roller coaster ride. (but worse)!
                          I don't have any problem with any of them in the net... but just pick ONE of them.
                          Ryan

Comment

File this one under strange, unusual and somewhat unknown... To the best of my knowledge, this is part of a set of jerseys that was produced for the Huskies that never saw the ice. They were returned to the supplier (OT Sports) who then liquidated them to the general public. Michigan Tech wore new road jerseys in 2007 with the "Huskies" incorrectly placed horizontal (not slanted) on the jerseys. This set of home jerseys, which can be identified by the black on the shoulders running all the way down to the gold cuffs, has the same incorrect Huskies crest placement. This leads me to believe that both sets were produced in the summer of 2007, but for whatever reason, the whites were rejected and returned while the blacks were used.

Adding to the irony, this is a jersey for Casey Pierro-Zabotel who also never saw the ice at MTU. He signed his NLI in July 2007 after being drafted by the Penguins, but could not clear the NCAA Eligibility Center and decommitted in November 2007. Casey returned to the BCHL for parts of two more seasons before joining the WHL and ultimately going pro in 2009 and is still playing today. An unfortunate example that even if you have all the hockey skills in the world, you still need to make grades to play NCAA hockey.

Comment

Ryan,

Thanks for the history/background on some of this stuff. Very interesting and much appreciated.

Comment

Arriving at #16 is another variation of the classic "Huskies" style in gold by CCM. Yes, "CCM" is actually on the back hem of the jersey if you look hard enough. The previous set of CCM jerseys had the standard size CCM logo on the back hem (roughly 3" long). However Tech and many other NCAA teams had to cover their suppliers' logos with patches when the NCAA limited the allowable square inches to display the manufacturer's name on the jersey. I believe it was one square inch. (Yeah, I know, the NCAA never meddles in meaningless things...) As a result, future jerseys from CCM used in college hockey featured this ridiculously small version of their logo to comply with the NCAA rules.

Example from the previous set of black jerseys. CCM logo covered by the team.

Although I was a student when this style was worn, it took me nearly 20 years to acquire one. Starting in the early 1990s, the blue line club would raffle the jerseys, one per game. As a result many of the jerseys were either won by students who left the area after graduation, or by local fans who still wear them to this day at home games. In both scenarios, it is tough to convince the owner to make a trade for another style. As luck would have it, eventually one of these jerseys actually came and found me. A former WCHA equipment manager, who had traded jerseys with other teams in the conference throughout his career, was selling his collection. He found my website and asked if I wanted to purchase the Tech jersey along with a couple other teams. Needless to say, I jumped at the chance.

Maybe this is where I say, "The best things come to those who wait." So if whoever has the 1993-94 white Piano Dog jerseys with the three-color neck will just seek me out, I am still waiting for you to find me. The search goes on for one of those, twenty-five years and counting. They have to be out there somewhere...

Comment

Working...
                                X