Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Very cool info regarding yesterday's jersey and the Cooperall era. Time to make some updates to my website - thanks!

One week from today, we'll be watching Michigan Tech playing real hockey! Coming in with jersey #7 is Tech's most recent player to establish himself as a legit NHL regular - Jujhar Khaira. This set of black jerseys spanned Khaira's entire career in a Huskies uniform... one season. Other than some special alternate jerseys, I can't recall too many sets of jerseys that only lasted one season in recent history with Tech. From my memory the list would be the 1993-94 home Piano Dog, the 1993-94 throwbacks, military tribute camo 2017 and these black jerseys from 2013-14. After his lone season at Tech, where he put up a very respectable 25 pts in 37 games, he played one season in the WHL before turning pro. After two full seasons in the AHL, he finally got his break in Edmonton and has seen increasing time in the NHL each season. In 2017-18 he spent the entire year with the Oilers posting 21 pts in 69 games. It appears he will continue to be a regular with the Oilers in the near future as well.

Nice sweaters. Didn’t assistant Steve Shields have a part in the design?
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      Nice sweaters. Didn’t assistant Steve Shields have a part in the design?
      Yes, that is what Mel said at the time, something like "Steve did a great job designing our jerseys..." The whites and blacks were copies of each other and the blacks the following year were just Bruins jerseys, right down to the font, with the crest changed. I found that funny because it I'm not really sure what was original about Steve's "new" design that he created for the Huskies. School name with number on the front is a pretty standard college hockey jersey design. And this is just from the WCHA...
      Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        Yes, that is what Mel said at the time, something like "Steve did a great job designing our jerseys..." The whites and blacks were copies of each other and the blacks the following year were just Bruins jerseys, right down to the font, with the crest changed. I found that funny because it I'm not really sure what was original about Steve's "new" design that he created for the Huskies. School name with number on the front is a pretty standard college hockey jersey design. And this is just from the WCHA...
        Ryan J

What, no Bemidji State? The Beavers have been wearing a variation ofthat design since they went D-I (98-99) and did away with the "Beavers" script jersey that they wore since the late 60s.
        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I hated those sweaters since day one. I figured Marv lost a bet to Kevin Luke and the wager was he had to put the boys in bouncyball jerseys for the year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
            I hated those sweaters since day one. I figured Marv lost a bet to Kevin Luke and the wager was he had to put the boys in bouncyball jerseys for the year.

Agreed. Those jerseys were not great.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
              What, no Bemidji State? The Beavers have been wearing a variation ofthat design since they went D-I (98-99) and did away with the "Beavers" script jersey that they wore since the late 60s.
              Sorry, no WCHA era ones. Your fans hog all of them. Since Bemidji joined the WCHA I've had a grand total of FOUR BSU jerseys. But in the spirit of equal time / equal opportunity, I present this one from the CHA era of Beavers Hockey. Hey did Steve Shields design this one by chance?

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                Sorry, no WCHA era ones. Your fans hog all of them. Since Bemidji joined the WCHA I've had a grand total of FOUR BSU jerseys. But in the spirit of equal time / equal opportunity, I present this one from the CHA era of Beavers Hockey. Hey did Steve Shields design this one by chance?

Trying to remember what year they switched from the "shadow box" lettering to the plain block lettering. Might have been 2002-03.

But at least you got one with the Frozen Four patch!
                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

We don't have to go far back into Tech's history to find this set of jerseys which were modeled after those worn by the 1962 NCAA Championship team. First worn in for the outdoor games at Comerica Park in Detroit, the Huskies released these jerseys in December of 2013. Much like the Energizer Bunny, they just kept wearing them and wearing them and wearing them, all the way through the 2017-18 season. This #6 jersey was worn by Chris Leibinger 2013-17 and Cooper Watson in 2017-18. Unfortunately the contrasting color nameplate has been removed from this example. And fear not fans of the cream, these jerseys have been replaced with a nearly identical set.

It appears the team is going back to a traditional "square cut" hem line rather than the tuxedo / drop tails style they have had since they started with Reebok in 2013. That cut first became popular in 2007 when Reebok started supplying their "Edge" cut jerseys to the NHL. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I really don't see the point of drop tails on a jersey with horizontal striping at the hem. The striping seems to emphasize the black a little more on the new jerseys, which I think is a positive design change. There will also be a revision of the jersey branding from Reebok to CCM. (It's all the same company, but they like to push different names from time to time.)

The photos below are of Tanner Kero (remember him, yeah, he wore these) modeling the jersey for the press release and this year's captains in the new set of CCM branded jerseys.

-

Comment

The jersey for today is #5 Jeff Hill from the 1992-93 season. I believe this set was first worn in 1991. This would be the last set of black jerseys to feature the "Huskies" crest for almost a decade until the team brought it back again in 2004. This set was last used in 1993-94 and it appears that a fair number of these jerseys were ordered at a later date and added to the set. As you can see below the location of the WCHA logo was changed and even the number font was different (see the #2s). The crest also became more detailed as the "ies" in Huskies had more negative space allowing the black from the jersey to show through the crest. I find it interesting to see the variations from jersey to jersey that were all on the ice at the same time. Also of note is the sewing of the "C" on Jeff's jersey where the bottom of the letter was slightly turned in when it was sewn down.

Comment

Since it is Sunday I'll put out a double header addition. This is one of my favorite professional games worn jersey from the collection. I've had a few of Tim's jerseys over the years, but this was my favorite Kings due to all the unique little touches. For the 1991-92 season Los Angeles wore a special patch to celebrate the franchise's 25th anniversary. There was also a patch added to all of the teams' jerseys that season for the NHL 75th anniversary. I also like the use of silver as the main color for the jersey numbers rather than their normal black.

I don't think too many people will remember Tim's time behind the bench at Tech fondly, but he did have a pretty successful NHL career. I would also like to think that this jersey had some brushes with The Great One during the Wayne-ing moments of Gretzky's playing days.

Comment

Any thoughts on the game saturday?
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Was watching in the background on just a Mac, no big screen so did not see it as well as normal, but Marcus Russell's speed and tenacity stood out. He looked hungry.
                          The Smith Jackson combination with one of the young freshman is going to be dynamic. Either Bliss or Broetzmann?

I would agree with Coach that the puck management needs to get better, but I just got back from my game tonight and we had the same problem as well early in the season.

Heading up on Thursday, looking forward to seeing the weekend series.

Comment

Game day is getting closer. Today we highlight a Brown black jersey from 1999-2002. This jersey was first worn by short timer Landon Boyko for 1999-2000 and then recycled to Justin Brown for the next two seasons (2000-02). When the name was replaced it ended up with a steeper arc and different font from the original one.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

We don't have to go far back into Tech's history to find this set of jerseys which were modeled after those worn by the 1962 NCAA Championship team. First worn in for the outdoor games at Comerica Park in Detroit, the Huskies released these jerseys in December of 2013. Much like the Energizer Bunny, they just kept wearing them and wearing them and wearing them, all the way through the 2017-18 season. This #6 jersey was worn by Chris Leibinger 2013-17 and Cooper Watson in 2017-18. Unfortunately the contrasting color nameplate has been removed from this example. And fear not fans of the cream, these jerseys have been replaced with a nearly identical set.

It appears the team is going back to a traditional "square cut" hem line rather than the tuxedo / drop tails style they have had since they started with Reebok in 2013. That cut first became popular in 2007 when Reebok started supplying their "Edge" cut jerseys to the NHL. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I really don't see the point of drop tails on a jersey with horizontal striping at the hem. The striping seems to emphasize the black a little more on the new jerseys, which I think is a positive design change. There will also be a revision of the jersey branding from Reebok to CCM. (It's all the same company, but they like to push different names from time to time.)

The photos below are of Tanner Kero (remember him, yeah, he wore these) modeling the jersey for the press release and this year's captains in the new set of CCM branded jerseys.

-
                              I hate the tails, especially if it's not a team point to tuck them. I'm with you — they look especially bad when there's prominent horizontal striping.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                                I hate the tails, especially if it's not a team point to tuck them. I'm with you — they look especially bad when there's prominent horizontal striping.

GFM
                                Worse than tails is when guys tuck in their sweaters. A fad I blame on Gretzky.

Comment

Working...
                                X