Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

In 2017-18, less than the width of a 3" diameter puck separated the Michigan Tech Huskies from an NCAA tourney opening round victory. Seconds later, a carbon fiber stick, also about an inch wide, snapped in two, sending Notre Dame down the ice on a break-away. Despite a beautiful save by Munson in the Tech net, moments later the Huskies season came to an end with a 4-3 overtime loss to #2 raked Notre Dame.

When the Huskies return the ice in the Fall of 2018, they'll be looking to take that next step - return to the NCAA tourney and advance beyond the first game. A step which was literally only inches away this season... Go Huskies! Go Tech!

Discuss...

Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Sad day that we must acknowledge it is the off-season, but I am more optimistic about next season than I was about 2017-18 at this time last year.

Packy needs to be Ice Breaker/March Packy, not mid season Packy.

Need to bring in depth on D. The young guys we have will be solid if they continue the growth they've shown this year.

Up front I hope Jackson and/or Lucchini don't leave early. If they stay another year, I think the offence will be good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm always optimistic and I think they will do fine next year. And two NCAA appearances in two years!
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I am definitely not nearly as worried for next season as I was for this season, there is still a solid core coming back and with what appeared to be a full buy in to Joe's coaching at the end of the year, I think we will be OK, as long as the PK get's better.
        2005-2006: 7-25-6
        2006-2007: 18-17-5
        2007-2008: 14-20-5
        2008-2009: 6-25-7
        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

I feel much better about this season than last, but there are areas that need some player growth and consistency. We have some good size questions to answer this off season.

What do you guys think the odds of Jackson and Lucch leaving are? I think Lucch is going to stay and Jackson is 50/50 that he leaves.

I'm looking forward to next season.

Go Tech!

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
            I feel much better about this season than last, but there are areas that need some player growth and consistency. We have some good size questions to answer this off season.

What do you guys think the odds of Jackson and Lucch leaving are? I think Lucch is going to stay and Jackson is 50/50 that he leaves.

I'm looking forward to next season.

Go Tech!
            Jackson depends on San Jose, Lucchini depends on any NHL team. As a junior, Jackson is 16 months from being a free agent, but I don't think thats as big a deal for someone like him compared to a 1st round pick. Unless San Jose is worried about losing him or thinks he's actually ready, he's back, I put that at 25% turning pro.
            Lucchini, he scares me, especially if he goes to an NHL camp in fall and really impresses...
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Met Lucchini's mom in Vegas. She is 100% behind him staying at MTU, but of course money can change that stance. It will bear watching as camps open, especially which one he ends up attending.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                Met Lucchini's mom in Vegas. She is 100% behind him staying at MTU, but of course money can change that stance. It will bear watching as camps open, especially which one he ends up attending.
                Every mum wants her kid to stay at the university. Mine sure did, but then again she saw me play hockey so I don't blame her.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats to Dane Birks on the NHL contract with the Pens.
                  After scrolling through some of the hand-wringing and panic attacks surrounding Lucia/Motzko/whoever, I'm just so glad that our AD saw the wisdom in hiring Coach Joe instead of some over-eager up-and-comer (didn't Joe have to be begged to apply, like U.S. Grant?) who wouldn't have provided anywhere near the stability and leadership that we've been getting since... Merv? Marv? whoever that guy was... left town.
                  Those are my grateful thoughts on "National Joe Day" (google it)
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                    Congrats to Dane Birks on the NHL contract with the Pens.
                    After scrolling through some of the hand-wringing and panic attacks surrounding Lucia/Motzko/whoever, I'm just so glad that our AD saw the wisdom in hiring Coach Joe instead of some over-eager up-and-comer (didn't Joe have to be begged to apply, like U.S. Grant?) who wouldn't have provided anywhere near the stability and leadership that we've been getting since... Merv? Marv? whoever that guy was... left town. Those are my grateful thoughts on "National Joe Day" (google it)
                    Speaking of that hand-wringing, there a chance of any of the staff moving along? Joe made a comment during the show about how they MET expectations though didn't exceed them. Dominoes are falling so you never know. From what we see, seems like a great staff, especially to get this group to play like this. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                      Speaking of that hand-wringing, there a chance of any of the staff moving along? Joe made a comment during the show about how they MET expectations though didn't exceed them. Dominoes are falling so you never know. From what we see, seems like a great staff, especially to get this group to play like this. Thoughts?
                      I would think Brooks remains until the WMU job opens up, and Steward, Idk. I really like the staff as a whole and hope it sticks for a couple seasons
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        I would think Brooks remains until the WMU job opens up, and Steward, Idk. I really like the staff as a whole and hope it sticks for a couple seasons
                        Agreed, hoping they can at least keep them for a few years for consistency sake and then see people move on at different times.
                        2005-2006: 7-25-6
                        2006-2007: 18-17-5
                        2007-2008: 14-20-5
                        2008-2009: 6-25-7
                        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Well they got me, I think I will be in line for WCHA Tech package again next year.

If Luch and Jackson stay, (PLEASE DON'T GO), we are setup to be a very good team next year.

As Shirtless said, the D looks solid despite the loss of the following:
                          think about it, this caliber of D gone and we are still looking good!!!!!
                          Cliff Watson
                          Leibs
                          Roy
                          Hanna
                          Reinke
                          Auk
                          Birks

I had predicted the forwards would be the strength of the team at the beginning of the year and that followed suit, but the D corp played very admirably and then to lead the nation in points was an awesome accomplishment.

My question to the faithful, is how do we look compared to BG, NMU, BSU, and Mankato next year. The Mankato thread has them taking a step back with all the offensive power lost. I would think we are #1 or #2 in the WCHA polls next year pending the answer to any early departures.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                            What D1 schools have openings UAA, UNH, now SCSU,...? If his goal is Western, one would guess they would like to see a 2-3+ years as a D1 assistant head coach, 3-4 years D1 head coach for a AH, ECAC, or WCHA team. (My perception is WMU has a high opinion of themselves.)

Unless he applied and UAA or US developmental want him, I think he stays.

I like Joe as coach and the staff he put together.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                              Well they got me, I think I will be in line for WCHA Tech package again next year.

If Luch and Jackson stay, (PLEASE DON'T GO), we are setup to be a very good team next year.

As Shirtless said, the D looks solid despite the loss of the following:
                              think about it, this caliber of D gone and we are still looking good!!!!!
                              Cliff Watson
                              Leibs
                              Roy
                              Hanna
                              Reinke
                              Auk
                              Birks

I had predicted the forwards would be the strength of the team at the beginning of the year and that followed suit, but the D corp played very admirably and then to lead the nation in points was an awesome accomplishment.

My question to the faithful, is how do we look compared to BG, NMU, BSU, and Mankato next year. The Mankato thread has them taking a step back with all the offensive power lost. I would think we are #1 or #2 in the WCHA polls next year pending the answer to any early departures.
                              I was thinking that as well. In two years, we lost our entire D-corp plus one. Considering that, and we still feel good about who we have left is quite something.

Just a gut feel. Feel free to disagree with me.
                              I think BG will be solid. This should have been a rebuilding year and they had a solid year. They will lose the player I love to hate McClain (misspelled ON PURPOSE! )
                              BSU lost Bitzer. I don't care who you are, that is going to hurt. I don't know what their back-up goalie(s) is/are like, but odds are it will be a step down. They also lose Bauman and G. Fitzgerld. Their D looks mostly in-tact.
                              Mankato has a highly touted young group. I think they will be inconsistent early, but towards the end of the season, watch out.
                              It pains me to say, NMU is set up nicely for next year. They lose Payne and Diamantoni, but it looks like most of their team is there next year.

My guess, we will be in the home ice conversation. If Packy plays like he did to close out the year, we could be fighting for the MacNaughton with NMU, BGSU, and MSU.

Comment

Working...
                              X