Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    I hate the tails, especially if it's not a team point to tuck them. I'm with you — they look especially bad when there's prominent horizontal striping.

GFM
    While I dislike the tail on jerseys as well, what bothers me more is when teams don't just have the bottom stripe follow the tail. To me, they're purposely pointing out the flaw in the jersey.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      what bothers me more is when teams don't just have the bottom stripe follow the tail...
      The 1990s would not be your favorite era of hockey style... I'm just guessing.
      You can blame the Mighty Ducks for that trend.

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I'm okay with those though, because they are obviously designed that way.

This is annoying:

It seems to be a problem with the RBK Edge jerseys, as the Adidas doesn't have the pronounced tail (or teams took the hint finally).
        Last edited by aparch; 10-08-2018, 11:38 AM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Yeah, it's the tradition of the NHL and lack of willingness to try something new. When the Reebok Edge form fitting jerseys were released they wanted to distance themselves from the traditional "square cut" jerseys that had been the standard in the NHL for decades. So they added the useless tail in the front and back. (The ironic part is that the Edge was designed to save weight and they added extra fabric that didn't need to be there.) They also wanted to improve player comfort, however the initial materials selected actually retained moisture on the inside and left players with soaking wet gloves and other gear. They eventually changed the material mid-season and replaced every jersey in the NHL (unless the specific player specifically requested NOT to change to a the new Edge 2.0 material. Some players continued to wear the original 1.0 material for several years.)

Teams were so entrenched in the horizontal stripes on the hem and sleeves they simply refused to alter their jersey designs to work with the Edge jersey template. Ultimately some teams adapted and dropped the bottom stripes or added curved piping, but many have now added the horizontal stripes back as the Adidas version is flatter on the bottom. I'm actually getting my first Adidas game jersey in hand later this week from Minnesota's Summer "Da Beauty" pro league. (How can you not love a league that puts an image of Tech's own John Scott on EVERY single jersey?) I'll be interested to see it in person and check out some of the finer details.

NHL game worns of Amadio, Conner, Scott, Sutton & Wilson

Comment

Now I'm curious about the stripe pattern on the bottom of my Adidas Blues and Wings game worn jerseys. I cant remember if the stripes follow the hem or not.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

This set of Bauer golds is the second of two that Tech used in the late 1990s. Yet another set of jerseys where the "Huskies" crest got placed on the jerseys at a crazy angle. I can't believe someone at Tech doesn't just tell them what angle to place the crest. We are largely a TECHNOLOGICAL institution.... This set of 45 degree Huskies jerseys was worn 1997-2001. Ironically it was first worn by Andy Lewis in 1997-98 and was recycled without any changes to Matt Lewis (no relation) for the 1998-2000 seasons.

This set of jerseys was pretty much identical to the one that came before it. The most notable external change was the addition of Bauer's "flying-B" logo on the right chest which was not present on the previous set.

Comment

Michigan Tech has a new recruit. 17 year old Grant Docter. He's a defensemen that played defense for last years state championship team in Minnesota, Minnetonka. According to most, he's the second best defenseman on the team behind former NMU recruit, Josh Luedtke. I'll try to get a write up done soon.

Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Already violating the Institution's branding rules.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Already violating the Institution's branding rules.
                    ?
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

As Tonka alum that watched many games last year on-line you should be quite happy with this pickup.

I borrowed the following from another forum:

Originally posted by JerseyDave post_id=723418 time=1539035032 user_id=24663
                      grant docter (@grantdocr)
                      "Proud to announce my commitment to play division 1 hockey and further my education at Michigan Tech University thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way!"
                      2:36 PM - 8 Oct 2018
                      https://***********/grantdocr/status...13303376723968

Neutral Zone (@_Neutral_Zone)
                      "4⭐️ Grant Docter is a mobile D with a a high IQ. Passes the puck to smart spots and can run the PP. Factored in over half of Minnetonka’s 17 goals (1G, 8A) on their run to the MN AA State title. “A” grade in our report."
                      https://***********/_Neutral_Zone/st...26505003134982

Russ Bitely (@russbites)
                      "MTU gets verbal commit from Grant Docter ‘00 (Minnetonka HS). Avg size, good puck moving Dman with vision & hockey IQ, strong mobility and handle. Late birthdate, helped Skippers win Minny HS State Champ last season 8-30-38 in 30gp."
                      4:24 AM - 9 Oct 2018
                      https://***********/russbites/status...21658577883136

Video highlights:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QUey1GX4qE

Elite Prospects profile:
                      https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...9/grant-docter

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        ?
                        Many years ago, a memo went out from University Marketing & Communications that when using the full name of the Institution, one should never abbreviate "Technological" to "Tech". This was right around the time they had heartburn over some people supposedly thinking we were a junior college branch of UMich.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          As Tonka alum that watched many games last year on-line you should be quite happy with this pickup.

I borrowed the following from another forum:
                          Thanks for the information. I'm very happy to see we got him. I'm sure he will be a good fit for us and a big help in our defense.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            ...some people supposedly thinking we were a junior college branch of UMich.
                            Actually it is the other way around. If you can't spell "technological", then you can just go to Michigan and skip the last part.

Comment

Hard to believe that real hockey is almost here. We're going to keep it golden all the way to the puck drop on Friday. Presenting the #2 is this gold Rawlings mesh and knit jersey from the early 1980s. I received some info from Dave Ellis that the Cooperall jerseys were worn throughout the CCHA span of three seasons (1981-84). So that means this jersey was likely last worn during the 1981 season and Tech's run through the NCAA tourney. That appearance would the last one for a long time until Tech finally returned to the NCAA tourney in 2015 losing 3-2 in OT to SCSU, ending a 30+ year absence.

These vintage jerseys are pretty tough to come by and I could look a long time and never find one. This was another lucky one that simply came and found me. A game worn jersey dealer acquired it and knowing that I collected Tech jerseys he reached out to me before they were made available to the public. I feel very fortunate to be able to locate, acquire, preserve and share these historical items with other fans of Tech hockey. Tomorrow brings us to #1. If you've ever been to my site, I'm sure you can guess which jersey it will be, but that's a story to share tomorrow. I can't wait for the puck drop.

Comment

Thanks for posting these jerseys and back stories, its really interesting!

Comment

Working...
                                X