Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Roll along you BG Warriors!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    yes...sigh
    next three starting with this coming season are:
    LSSU
    FSU
    NMU
    I assume the sigh means you're thankful BG isn't on your list ;-)

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Quote Originally Posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
    I assume the sigh means you're thankful BG isn't on your list ;-)
    Haha, I just see no PWR value in the 4th team being a WCHA opponent. If it had to be someone close, Id prefer it be Western...

Haha, I just see no PWR value in the 4th team being a WCHA opponent. If it had to be someone close, I’d prefer it be Western...
    Agreed, it annoys me as well, but if it brings in an extra few hundred fans over booking an eastern team, then I suppose it's worth it. Western and Northern have had decent contingents.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Michigan Tech Fan

yes...sigh
    next three starting with this coming season are:
    LSSU
    FSU
    NMU
    I think it is about high time we just change the name of the GLI to "Tech vs CCHA Alumni from Michigan Invitational".
    More non-conference conference games. Yeah! (Not.)

Honestly Tech needs to stop looking at this tourney from simply an attendance stand point at look at it as an opportunity to get two valuable non-conference wins every Christmas. The WCHA as a whole isn't helping Tech make the tourney and you don't want to have to count on winning the Maple Syrup Cup every Spring to make the NCAA tourney. If you lose $10,000 on the tourney, because you invite an AH/ECAC/HE team that doesn't have a good fan base, but you get a key win that helps you in the PWR, in the long run that is just the cost of building a winner.

Do you think UND gripes and complains about the fact that they have to put forth the effort and man power to run an NCAA regional nearly every single year, or do you think they look at it as an opportunity to basically have a two-game home playoff series to advance to the Frozen Four almost every year?

Ryan
    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 05-03-2018 at 07:39 AM.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    I think it is about high time we just change the name of the GLI to "Tech vs CCHA Alumni from Michigan Invitational".

Honestly Tech needs to stop looking at this tourney from simply an attendance stand point at look at it as an opportunity to get two valuable non-conference wins every Christmas. The WCHA as a whole isn't helping Tech make the tourney and you don't want to have to count on winning the Maple Syrup Cup every Spring to make the NCAA tourney. If you lose $10,000 on the tourney, because you invite an AH/ECAC/HE team that doesn't have a good fan base, but you get a key win that helps you in the PWR, in the long run that is just the cost of building a winner.

Do you think UND gripes and complains about the fact that they have to put forth the effort and man power to run an NCAA regional nearly every single year, or do you think they look at it as an opportunity to basically have a two-game home playoff series to advance to the Frozen Four almost every year?

Ryan
    Agree 100%

The 4th team being a WCHA team is just bad scheduling. It adds no value to the PWR, which needs to be priority #1 in non conference scheduling. If the want attendance, then make Western the permanent 4th team.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Roll along you BG Warriors!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Agree 100%

The 4th team being a WCHA team is just bad scheduling. It adds no value to the PWR, which needs to be priority #1 in non conference scheduling. If the want attendance, then make Western the permanent 4th team.
    From reading the WMU message boards, I think they'd sign up for that deal in a heartbeat.

Coach Emeritus
    Enjoying the arrival of the Jeff Sauer Trophy in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Ryan
    How does North Dakota hosting a regional equate to a holiday tournament? There isn't any comparison there.

The PWR problem right now comes from Michigan State being a doormat for the better part of a decade right now. If the Spartans were where they have been historically, that solves the problem. And what makes you think that teams are beating down the door to come in and risk their own PWR in Detroit? That list is not excessively long in any season.

Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    How does North Dakota hosting a regional equate to a holiday tournament? There isn't any comparison there.

The PWR problem right now comes from Michigan State being a doormat for the better part of a decade right now. If the Spartans were where they have been historically, that solves the problem. And what makes you think that teams are beating down the door to come in and risk their own PWR in Detroit? That list is not excessively long in any season.
    Sorry but I call BS, there have to be multiple eastern teams that want a guaranteed game against Michigan/Michigan State in a given year, with the chance to play MTU/MSU/Michigan in the other. Tournaments are huge loophole to flipping comparisons in PWR. There was a long history of the GLI having a pretty good 4th team from another conference...and the occasional WCHA team. Now its all close teams and the only teams near by are WCHA/B1G and there isn't going to be a 3rd B1G team...

Since I started following that tournament has included UND, CC, BU, BC, UNH, Harvard, Providence, RPI, and WMU. All of those are preferable to a WCHA team in the current situation.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Sorry but I call BS, there have to be multiple eastern teams that want a guaranteed game against Michigan/Michigan State in a given year, with the chance to play MTU/MSU/Michigan in the other. Tournaments are huge loophole to flipping comparisons in PWR. There was a long history of the GLI having a pretty good 4th team from another conference...and the occasional WCHA team. Now its all close teams and the only teams near by are WCHA/B1G and there isn't going to be a 3rd B1G team...

Since I started following that tournament has included UND, CC, BU, BC, UNH, Harvard, Providence, RPI, and WMU. All of those are preferable to a WCHA team in the current situation.
    Home games and the gate $$$$ are all too important now for "Power Teams". Unless you can guarantee a payout equal or more to what they would receive from hosting a weekend of home games, these "Power Teams" aren't going to travel anymore.
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Home games and the gate $$$$ are all too important now for "Power Teams". Unless you can guarantee a payout equal or more to what they would receive from hosting a weekend of home games, these "Power Teams" aren't going to travel anymore.
    They do for tournaments though.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

It doesn't have to be whatever you consider a "Power Team" there are plenty of other teams that are good enough and valuable enough to have on the NC schedule to invite to this tournament.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Cool Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

i would assume a guy coming from LSU would understand how important the big sport on campus is for identity, etc.
    I'm excited that we're getting a new president from a Big 5 Conference. LSU fans are as crazy as they come so I'm confident he'll embrace and promote the hockey program.

I loved Glenn but I always felt he was too provincial having been in Houghton since the 70s. I once asked him if any high-tech companies came to recruit at Tech and he said, "Yes, Ford and Boeing." Really? What about Google, Apple, Intel, Facebook, Oracle, Microsoft?

The stacked MTU was the most recognizable logo Tech has ever had but Glenn detested abbreviating Technological to Tech. He thought it sounded like a trade school. Really? Ever heard of MIT, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Cal Tech, Texas Tech?

So I'm comfortable with the choice. I only hope he doesn't freeze to death in the winter. The King is Dead, long live the King...
    "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
    Abe Lincoln

Coach Emeritus

Joe Shawhan (half) Hour is on now on Mix93 WKMJ and pasty.net

Coach Emeritus

Joe says that the Saturday game at Bemidji is likely to be an outdoor game, per a conversation with Tom Serratore.

Joe says that the Saturday game at Bemidji is likely to be an outdoor game, per a conversation with Tom Serratore.
    I would assume that would be part of Hockey Day Minnesota which Bemidji is hosting. FoxSportsNorth typically covers all the high school games that are played that day. It will be interesting to see if they stick around for the college game or if they break away due to the Goofers or Wild playing.....

Of course, other cities have hosted Hockey Day Minnesota and had the rink in use for the whole week so as many teams as possible could use the outdoor rink as possible. So I suppose it is possible that the Beavers and Huskies could play the Saturday before or the Saturday after.
    Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

They could've done a full hour and had enough to talk about.

Goalies and the outdoor game were my takeaways.

Sounds like Beydoun, Kero and Jurusik next year. Interesting background from Joe, trying to cover possibly losing Packy (intention to sign pro) and Kero (graduation) and then both want to come back with an already committed player.

Really?

I'm starting to think Munson doesn't know what he wants.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Really?

I'm starting to think Munson doesn't know what he wants.
    yes, it would be part of Bemidji hosting Hockey Day Minnesota in January or February 2019.

yes, it would be part of Bemidji hosting Hockey Day Minnesota in January or February 2019.
    While ideally, BSU and Tech would play on Hockey Day Minnesota, the actual date is going to depend on which weekend the Wild are home. That won't be known until the July 1 announcement of Hockey Day Minnesota. I know a lot of the communities that have hosted HDM have left the rink up for a week to maximize the number of teams that get to play on outdoor ice. So, in theory, HDM could be January 12th, 19th (rumored Tech/BSU game, we will know more on Wednesday), or 26th depending on the Wild Home Schedule. But BSU and Tech will be playing outside on one of those Saturdays, which could be HDM or could be a week before or a week after.
    Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

While ideally, BSU and Tech would play on Hockey Day Minnesota, the actual date is going to depend on which weekend the Wild are home. That won't be known until the July 1 announcement of Hockey Day Minnesota. I know a lot of the communities that have hosted HDM have left the rink up for a week to maximize the number of teams that get to play on outdoor ice. So, in theory, HDM could be January 12th, 19th (rumored Tech/BSU game, we will know more on Wednesday), or 26th depending on the Wild Home Schedule. But BSU and Tech will be playing outside on one of those Saturdays, which could be HDM or could be a week before or a week after.
    Sure thats possible, but there is a big difference between not officially knowing until the NHL releases its schedule and "knowing." HDM has never been earlier before January 17th, 9 out of 12 years it has fallen between January 17th and 22nd. and the other 3 were 2nd weekend in February...MTU is not playing at BSU the 2nd weekend of February...who knows but it seems likely that HDM will be January 19th.

Thread Information