Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 638

Thread: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

  1. #401
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    U.P.
    Posts
    382

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I think expectations should probably be a bit higher for this group.
    My expectations are a Frozen Four appearance. The same as they have been since 1975.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  2. #402
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,669

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I think expectations should probably be a bit higher for this group.
    I should clarify.

    For next season, I see 3, maybe 4 teams in the WCHA that should be really good. Top 10 in the country good? Probably not, maybe 1 or 2 of the teams, but I think there are 4 that will be regularly in, or in-and-out of the polls next season. Tech is one of those 4 teams. I just hope that what I perceive as a significant improvement in talent at the top half of the league actually results in some increase in non-conference wins, so the PWR shake out a little more favorably.

    Unfortunately, while I see the top half of the league as being as talented as it has been since the re-org, I think the bottom half might be the worst it has been.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  3. #403
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    28,807

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    11 is a big group. Definitely a defining class in terms of tracking Shawhan's ability to develop players and set a higher bar each year.

    After what happened last year, I'm pretty jaded on the idea of having 3 potential starting goalies and riding their ups and downs. While I think this likely is a home ice team, I'm not ready to say they're a conference champion repeat. They're going to have to be better than .500 in their out of conference schedule to have any shot at an at-large bid, and that's a tall order when 6 of their 8 NC games are on the road. I'd be much more confident if Reinke had stayed another season, but they'll have to work with who they have.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  4. #404
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,669

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    11 is a big group. Definitely a defining class in terms of tracking Shawhan's ability to develop players and set a higher bar each year.

    After what happened last year, I'm pretty jaded on the idea of having 3 potential starting goalies and riding their ups and downs. While I think this likely is a home ice team, I'm not ready to say they're a conference champion repeat. They're going to have to be better than .500 in their out of conference schedule to have any shot at an at-large bid, and that's a tall order when 6 of their 8 NC games are on the road. I'd be much more confident if Reinke had stayed another season, but they'll have to work with who they have.
    I agree on Reinke. That will be a big loss. The only thing that helps that one is pretty much everyone knew he was going to be leaving early, so the staff was able to prepare appropriately.

    On goalies, I think they will all get time early, but I think this next season, Joe is likely to pick a guy earlier and ride him. I am thinking that one they ride will be Jurusik, but who knows.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  5. #405
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lower Michigan
    Posts
    938

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    With Lucchini, Jackson, and Steman gone next year, this is the year to raise to the next level.
    I expect this team to start better than last year and continue to improve through the season.
    I am curious to see where the polls fall. The lineup is as good as I can remember.

  6. #406
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lower Michigan
    Posts
    938

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    Got my seats for the UMD series. Looking forward to visiting. This team is going to go far.

    Season Goals:
    Defeat UM in Detroit
    GLI Title
    Ruin Hockey Day in Minnesota
    WCHA MacNaughton
    WCHA Jeff Sauer Trophy
    NCAA Tournament Bid or Auto Bid
    Frozen Four Appearance
    Frozen Four Title Game
    Frozen Four Hardware

    Cannot wait to enjoy the season and see which goals are achieved and which ones are attempted.

    Copper Country Strong
    Last edited by Huskiefan906; 08-05-2018 at 09:18 AM.

  7. #407
    Mighty Techster
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    403

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    Hancock Central star Alex Nordstrom has signed with the Grande Prairie Storm (AJHL). He has three years of junior eligibility, and if it turns out he's good enough to play Division I, it seems unlikely he would choose another school over Tech.

  8. #408
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    28,807

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    Quote Originally Posted by redwing61 View Post
    Hancock Central star Alex Nordstrom has signed with the Grande Prairie Storm (AJHL). He has three years of junior eligibility, and if it turns out he's good enough to play Division I, it seems unlikely he would choose another school over Tech.
    I've always wondered this, but there must be a process for him to transfer into a Canadian high school for his senior year?
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  9. #409
    Blistering Drive
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Maple Bush
    Posts
    462

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I've always wondered this, but there must be a process for him to transfer into a Canadian high school for his senior year?

    most likely online and then graduate from Hancock in the spring
    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

    —Brett Hull

  10. #410
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,499

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    Alright, Tech Hockey Guide is getting ready to ramp back up because we’re getting close(ish) to hockey season. What do you guys want to see from us this year? Either before season starts or throughout the year?

    As always we’re looking for more help on the writing side of things.

  11. #411
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,916

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Alright, Tech Hockey Guide is getting ready to ramp back up because we’re getting close(ish) to hockey season. What do you guys want to see from us this year? Either before season starts or throughout the year?
    I want a story about how the Huskies will feel when swept by UAH.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  12. #412
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,508

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    Ok all you ME 's out there. Here's an opportunity.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu6n8XIEPN8
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  13. #413
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,344

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    I know the video is a bit dated, but I love how it starts with an interview of an engineer from Level 5 Racing.
    What It Takes To Be a Race Engineer? Well, try avoid working for a convicted felon if at all possible.

    For those not familiar with racing, Level 5 is infamous because its owner (and driver) Scott Tucker, paid for his race team with profits from payday lending scams (charging interest rates as high as 1000%, no not a typo) and was eventually fined over $1.2 billion (that's also not a typo). The government seized all of the team's assets and auctioned them off to pay a portion of the fines. Earlier this year, Tucker was sentenced to 16.5 years in prison.

    Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

  14. #414
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,499

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    For those that want to know more on Scott Tucker and have Netflix. One of the episodes on dirty money is about him (episode 2). It’s a great series covering Volkswagen cheating on clean diesel, drug companies taking advantage of consumers, a bank laundering for the cartel, Canada’s strategic maple syrup reserve and Donald’s Trump.

  15. #415
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,508

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    I know, but who would have thought 25 years ago that someone could make a really good living as an engineer in racing. There were maybe 5 guys doing it. Now days with all the CFD out there and the complexity of race cars, even what used to be routine sedans, racing is a viable career and a really interesting one too.
    Almost every F 1600 team has an engineer and on up from there. The pay for a basic engineer in a small time series like that is about 300 dollars per day plus expenses.
    During the Detroit GP I was watching even the small team's engineers working on the cars and making tweaks, and I know one rather lousy engineer who made a living working for Chrysler as an engineer on the Lambo engined F 1 cars.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  16. #416
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,508

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  17. #417
    Yellowjackets
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Superior, WI
    Posts
    316

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    Summer life is full on, winter around the corner. Got tix for UMD series opener Fri/Sat. Section G both nights, row 7 on Friday and row 10 on Saturday. Saw this section is on the east wall side and FAR FAR away from Beer. First off, are these good seats from your experiences? And two, does MTU allow ticket holders to re-draw for different section tix? Thanks.

  18. #418
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    U.P.
    Posts
    382

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    There really are no bad seats in the Mac. Sec. G will see MUD shooting twice. I'd like Row 10 a little better because it's a little higher and you will see the far end better. Row 7 is concourse level. Beer is only about 250' away. I think you'll be OK
    Quote Originally Posted by walktheline View Post
    Summer life is full on, winter around the corner. Got tix for UMD series opener Fri/Sat. Section G both nights, row 7 on Friday and row 10 on Saturday. Saw this section is on the east wall side and FAR FAR away from Beer. First off, are these good seats from your experiences? And two, does MTU allow ticket holders to re-draw for different section tix? Thanks.
    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  19. #419

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,444
    Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    There really are no bad seats in the Mac. Sec. G will see MUD shooting twice. I'd like Row 10 a little better because it's a little higher and you will see the far end better. Row 7 is concourse level. Beer is only about 250' away. I think you'll be OK

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Is there a restroom between Point A and Point B? One could drain the tank before refilling.

  20. #420
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    U.P.
    Posts
    382

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Is there a restroom between Point A and Point B? One could drain the tank before refilling.
    Two. One right below Sec. G and one behind Sec. B near University Images. There are even two for the gals too

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •