Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota State Offseason Thread

Originally posted by Suze View Post
    Nice poaching Mankato. I hope he remains academically eligible for you.
    I don't like kids changing "commitments" but when you fire your coach I think that opens the door. The notion that one commits to the program and not the coach doesn't do it for me. The coach is part of the program and an important one as I think ALL MSU fans would agree with. Do you have proof that the MSU reached out to him or is it possible he made some calls?

Comment

Originally posted by crossjcek View Post
      I don't like kids changing "commitments" but when you fire your coach I think that opens the door. The notion that one commits to the program and not the coach doesn't do it for me. The coach is part of the program and an important one as I think ALL MSU fans would agree with. Do you have proof that the MSU reached out to him or is it possible he made some calls?
      The writing was on the wall for any recruit to see. Any program who would actually retain a coach with Thomas's record doesn't care about their university.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

The writing was on the wall for any recruit to see. Any program who would actually retain a coach with Thomas's record doesn't care about their university.
        No one’s saying you shouldn’t have fired your coach. But you also have to admit there is a downside to that decision, and that downside includes risking the loss of a bunch of players who committed to that coach.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
          No one’s saying you shouldn’t have fired your coach. But you also have to admit there is a downside to that decision, and that downside includes risking the loss of a bunch of players who committed to that coach.
          Agreed, and you can’t read a recruit’s mind, so to blame a 20 year old kid for making a decision he felt was best for his future is ridiculous. This stuff happens all the time. Heck, look at College Football, for example. Guys commit, decommit, and commit elsewhere all the time —they’re kids trying to make decisions that will put them in the best spot to succeed moving forward — clearly in this case, he felt coming to Mankato rather than Anchorage put him in the best spot to succeed for his future.
          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
            Agreed, and you can’t read a recruit’s mind, so to blame a 20 year old kid for making a decision he felt was best for his future is ridiculous. This stuff happens all the time. Heck, look at College Football, for example. Guys commit, decommit, and commit elsewhere all the time —they’re kids trying to make decisions that will put them in the best spot to succeed moving forward — clearly in this case, he felt coming to Mankato rather than Anchorage put him in the best spot to succeed for his future.
            Yeah, I know. I'm just super frustrated. I figured something like this was gonna happen. I was counting down to the signing date (2 days away now), and checking every day to see that he was still listed as a UAA recruit. I swear UAA is cursed. They NEED a player like this.
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Yeah, I know. I'm just super frustrated. I figured something like this was gonna happen. I was counting down to the signing date (2 days away now), and checking every day to see that he was still listed as a UAA recruit. I swear UAA is cursed. They NEED a player like this.
              Any word on the coaching search?

Comment

I’ve heard they’re looking at all options in terms of building depth there, including another grad transfer if possible.

I’ll have more on the offseason and recruiting after the Frozen Four this weekend.
                What are you hearing on recruiting? We’re season ticket holders and are curious why we can’t seem to get top Minnesota kids to play at MSU. I personally think it’s WCHA vs NCHC style of play. This 2018-19 season will be about the unknowns Scoring, Goaltending especially. Thank you appreciate it. Go Mavs!!

Comment

Any word on the coaching search?
                  Nothing more than what was written about last week. Some of your fans seem to be "in the know", ask them.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Nothing more than what was written about last week. Some of your fans seem to be "in the know", ask them.
                    Not on UAA Hockey, unfortunately.
                    AF 99

Comment

"We were the little fish in the big pond. Our league prepares you to play great teams. This was a remarkable run." @UMDMensHockey Head Coach Scott Sandelin w/@MarkPacker following the Bulldogs National Championship win.

Easy to look back on and say now, but Scott Sandelin attests that the NCHC helped prepare his team to play great teams — goes right back to one of the points I’ve made as to why the Mavs need to play in the NCHC.

Add to that the last three titles have been won by three different NCHC teams as well.

To act like the league the Mavs play in has nothing to do with competing at a consistently high level and recruiting top end kids is crazy.
                      Last edited by MavHockey14; 04-09-2018, 05:02 PM.
                      AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MAVS21 View Post
                        What are you hearing on recruiting? We’re season ticket holders and are curious why we can’t seem to get top Minnesota kids to play at MSU. I personally think it’s WCHA vs NCHC style of play. This 2018-19 season will be about the unknowns Scoring, Goaltending especially. Thank you appreciate it. Go Mavs!!
                        I’ve made numerous posts as to why the Mavs are generally the #4 option for HS kids in MN, and it does, IMHO, fall to the conference they play in.

Now, MSU will never beat MN for recruits. Period. It won’t happen but once in a blue moon. Additionally, the Mavs have done a much better job recruiting the state, and that must also be acknowledged.

Look at a Jake Jaremko, CJ Suess, Reggie Lutz, Ries’s Zmolek, Dallas Gerards, Ian Schied, etc.

The key is where is the Riley Tufte, Nick Swaney, Avery Peterson, etc. NHL draft pick recruits that UMD has from MN.

Or in St. Cloud, where you have Will Borgen, Judd Peterson, Ryan Poehling, etc.

Yes, CJ Suess was a NHL draft pick, but UMD has 6 from MN, SCSU has 3 from MN. MSU had 1.

Will all those guys choosing SCSU or UMD over MSU come to Mankato? No.

If you can win a recruiting battle with just 1 player from each of those schools, all of a sudden a Michaelis or Knutson moves to the 2nd line, maybe a McClure or Lutz is a 3rd line guy, etc. If you still get to recruit the Michaelis, Lutz, Jaremko, etc, many of whom have had very successful careers and are developing into very good hockey players, your depth is better and your team is tougher to play against.
                        AF 99

Comment

Not on UAA Hockey, unfortunately.
                          Just heard a rumor it will be Ellsworth. Gotta wait and see.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Just heard a rumor it will be Ellsworth. Gotta wait and see.
                            First assistant job was here in Sioux City. He left a good impression with a lot of people. I think he also has the Tech seal of approval

Comment

First assistant job was here in Sioux City. He left a good impression with a lot of people. I think he also has the Tech seal of approval
                              I hope he is a good recruiter.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I’ve made numerous posts as to why the Mavs are generally the #4 option for HS kids in MN, and it does, IMHO, fall to the conference they play in.

Now, MSU will never beat MN for recruits. Period. It won’t happen but once in a blue moon. Additionally, the Mavs have done a much better job recruiting the state, and that must also be acknowledged.

Look at a Jake Jaremko, CJ Suess, Reggie Lutz, Ries’s Zmolek, Dallas Gerards, Ian Schied, etc.

The key is where is the Riley Tufte, Nick Swaney, Avery Peterson, etc. NHL draft pick recruits that UMD has from MN.

Or in St. Cloud, where you have Will Borgen, Judd Peterson, Ryan Poehling, etc.

Yes, CJ Suess was a NHL draft pick, but UMD has 6 from MN, SCSU has 3 from MN. MSU had 1.

Will all those guys choosing SCSU or UMD over MSU come to Mankato? No.

If you can win a recruiting battle with just 1 player from each of those schools, all of a sudden a Michaelis or Knutson moves to the 2nd line, maybe a McClure or Lutz is a 3rd line guy, etc. If you still get to recruit the Michaelis, Lutz, Jaremko, etc, many of whom have had very successful careers and are developing into very good hockey players, your depth is better and your team is tougher to play against.
                                Thanks appreciate it. By chance do u know any players we are after? Can’t wait til we’re in the NCHC!

Comment

Working...
                                X