Minnesota State Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    Definitely. Not to mention, there is very good hockey played at the WJC, and there are things to be learned working with other coaches, and seeing other teams play, too.

For example, had Mike coached with David Quinn, the time those two spent together would have also been valuable in Mike’s development as a coach.
    USA Hockey officially names Mike Hastings its Head Coach of the 2019 World Junior Championship Team!

His assistants will be:

Dave Lassonde, Assistant and Associate Head Coach at Dartmouth

Steve Miller, Long time Assistant and Associate Head Coach at Denver, and now with Ohio State

Scott Sandelin, Head Coach of the defending champion Minnesotan Duluth Bulldogs.

Quite a staff in terms of hockey knowledge and success.

Congrats to all and especially to Mike!
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Re: Minnesota State Offseason Thread

I posted this in the WCHA thread and thought it was a pretty cool, quick view of how the nonconference schedule has improved in Hastings’ tenure.

2018-2019: Minnesota, North Dakota, Boston University, and ASU/UMD/Clarkson

2017-2018: BU, SCSU, UMD, etc.

2016-2017: SCSU, MN, Princeton

2015-2016: SCSU (x3), MN(x3), UNO

2014-2015: UNO, UMD, Princeton, MN

2013-2014: Providence, UMD, SCSU, MN, UCONN
      AF 99

Comment

Woah....Hastings just said on Beyond the Pod when talking about the goalies that they are going to go with McKay, Israelson, and Berger and they will have a "tryout" of sorts for the starting job. No Pillows. I guess I wasn't aware of either Israelson or Pillows.
        Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
          Woah....Hastings just said on Beyond the Pod when talking about the goalies that they are going to go with McKay, Israelson, and Berger and they will have a "tryout" of sorts for the starting job. No Pillows. I guess I wasn't aware of either Israelson or Pillows.
          Northern's Isrealson?

Comment

Yes? He talked about a grad transfer, so I'd assume so.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/462-B...4-18-29457932/

He talks about it around the 34:00 minute mark.
            Last edited by Bale; 06-14-2018, 03:50 PM. Reason: Calrification

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
              I had heard Pawloski may be leaving, this confirms that.
              AF 99

Comment

I had heard Pawloski may be leaving, this confirms that.
                Hopefully we can get a top Goalie to commit! Goalie situation isn’t great right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAVS21 View Post
                  Hopefully we can get a top Goalie to commit! Goalie situation isn’t great right now.
                  The Kivleniks thing still lingers. I wish he’d given college a try. Goalies don’t age as quickly as other players.

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                    The Kivleniks thing still lingers. I wish he’d given college a try. Goalies don’t age as quickly as other players.
                    He would’ve been very, very good. Could’ve been a difference maker when they needed him most down the stretch.
                    AF 99

Comment

He would’ve been very, very good. Could’ve been a difference maker when they needed him most down the stretch.
                      That’s very true! Hopefully they will find a top goalie in 19 or 20 class. Got a commit from Bennett Zmolek today too.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                        He was very average in the AHL. 3.2 GAA, .891 save %.
                        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                          He was very average in the AHL. 3.2 GAA, .891 save %.
                          He cashed his signing bonus, though. At this point, it looks like coming to MSU would’ve been a smart move, but long ways to go as well.
                          AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                            He cashed his signing bonus, though. At this point, it looks like coming to MSU would’ve been a smart move, but long ways to go as well.
                            For selfish and unselfish reasons, I wish he would have come to MSU for a year or two. But he was outstanding when he was here in Sioux City, and I don't know that he ever came to America with any real intent of taking the college route. For his first professional season, I think he did OK in the AHL, and he still has a bright future ahead.

Comment

I'll never fault a kid for taking the money when they can. The "better" option is only known after the fact unfortunately. With such a small potential window, sometimes it's best for these guys to take the money when they can and make as much as they can.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
                                I'll never fault a kid for taking the money when they can. The "better" option is only known after the fact unfortunately. With such a small potential window, sometimes it's best for these guys to take the money when they can and make as much as they can.
                                We all went to college to improve our earning potential afterwards, right? Hockey allows you to do this during your junior career as well as college. I’ll never fault a kid for taking the money — college will always be here — no, the hockey eligibility won’t, but if you want to cash in, do it.
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X