• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

Someone had to start it.

Who do we lose? Who are we recruiting?
    Who are we playing next year?

Who are we rooting for in a few weeks?

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

Good move Jon now we wait and see what happens in the off season

Comment

Dugan and O’Brien should step right into the lineup this fall as elite players. O’Brien is probably the highest rated recruit since Jankowski and is a likely borderline first round pick this upcoming draft.

Dugan was a fifth round pick of Vegas and has 25 goals and 30 assists in the USHL right now.

They have another Finnish guy coming in which looking at stats is a defensive shutdown type...

Riley Prattson hasn’t lit up the scoreboard with the Junior Bruins so I wouldn’t expect him to be an offensive guy and the rest of the recruiting class I don’t see them on the top six on offense.
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

I think Foley should sign if he is healthy and Vincent who improved in the second half of the season. It all comes down to money.

If Hawkey signs, they are going to have to speed up a goalie a year as that kid from the Pittsburgh area (name is slipping me) is expected to be the starter in 2019-2020

Comment

A generous tweet from Mark Divver recognizing the current state of PC hockey. This is a great time to be a fan.

https://***********/MarkDivver/statu...80986301915136

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
            I think Foley should sign if he is healthy and Vincent who improved in the second half of the season. It all comes down to money.

If Hawkey signs, they are going to have to speed up a goalie a year as that kid from the Pittsburgh area (name is slipping me) is expected to be the starter in 2019-2020
            Jake Kucharski is goalie. I don’t see him as ready. There are older Euros in USHL who maybe are waiting for a winning team, play a year and go pro. PC’s style would fit their immediate need

Finn is Mikael Hakkarainen remove the national team players Hughes and Whalmstram (so) and he is USHL ppg leader. Might be injury prone. Is tall but lanky

Prattson isn’t coming. Transfer from BU Johnny McDermott has to come. There is Tyce Thompson possibly. I think the expected player we might not see is Matt Koopman, he has junior eligibility left and had a poor year. I think Ford and Gould were for 19. Allen like Prattson only played NCDC. They got Bjorkqvist late so a true Euro if Forward departures are higher then expected. Also like goalie there are several older Euros still available, maybe they just play pro in Europe but maybe they are playing the waiting game to see who departs early and which teams needs them for a year or 2. Issue might be passing TOEFL, many are Eastern Euros, English might not be as solid as Bjorkqvist who appears quite articulate in English

The fewer early departures beyond Foley who I agree is gone the better this team is.
            Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
              Jake Kucharski is goalie. I don’t see him as ready. There are older Euros in USHL who maybe are waiting for a winning team, play a year and go pro. PC’s style would fit their immediate need

Finn is Mikael Hakkarainen remove the national team players Hughes and Whalmstram (so) and he is USHL ppg leader. Might be injury prone. Is tall but lanky

Prattson isn’t coming. Transfer from BU Johnny McDermott has to come. There is Tyce Thompson possibly. I think the expected player we might not see is Matt Koopman, he has junior eligibility left and had a poor year. I think Ford and Gould were for 19. Allen like Prattson only played NCDC. They got Bjorkqvist late so a true Euro if Forward departures are higher then expected. Also like goalie there are several older Euros still available, maybe they just play pro in Europe but maybe they are playing the waiting game to see who departs early and which teams needs them for a year or 2. Issue might be passing TOEFL, many are Eastern Euros, English might not be as solid as Bjorkqvist who appears quite articulate in English

The fewer early departures beyond Foley who I agree is gone the better this team is.
              What type of role is McDermott coming here for? Third liner at best? Don't see him becoming an offensive force based on his track record.

Kucharski still isn't saving at a good clip at only .882 and a 3.49 GAA both of those numbers aren't good at this time.

Comment

What type of role is McDermott coming here for? Third liner at best? Don't see him becoming an offensive force based on his track record.

Kucharski still isn't saving at a good clip at only .882 and a 3.49 GAA both of those numbers aren't good at this time.
                I’d say McDermott sounds fits a Connor McPhee role.

Agree on Kucharski. Real preference is a Hawkey stays. Mollot-Hill’s record doesn’t sound any better. They act like Aslandis is 3 years away and Avon lists his grad year as 19, so at least 2
                Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Leaman last week in one of the Hawkey articles said he felt Gabe was ready to take on bigger role even challenge Hayden for minutes next year, if Hayden stays. Said he has improved a lot over the year. Helps to have a former goalie coaching them.

Guess we will see what happens in the next few weeks. If Hayden leaves maybe Gabe is the next Ellis (although Ellis had 2 years behind Gillies).

Comment

Originally posted by 73PCFriar View Post
                    Leaman last week in one of the Hawkey articles said he felt Gabe was ready to take on bigger role even challenge Hayden for minutes next year, if Hayden stays. Said he has improved a lot over the year. Helps to have a former goalie coaching them.

Guess we will see what happens in the next few weeks. If Hayden leaves maybe Gabe is the next Ellis (although Ellis had 2 years behind Gillies).
                    I think Hawkey was clearly their best player in the final four games of the year and if I was to give out a team MVP award for the entire season, Hayden would get it as I believe the defense left him out to dry more than I have ever seen under Leaman.

Comment

There's a happy fun conspiracy theory on Twitter today about Motzko signing with the Rodents setting off a huge chain reaction of coaching departures in the college hockey world.
                      Should be a fun two weeks.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                      -Blackadder
                      -Casablanca
                      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

I think Hawkey was clearly their best player in the final four games of the year and if I was to give out a team MVP award for the entire season, Hayden would get it as I believe the defense left him out to dry more than I have ever seen under Leaman.
                        It took the entire season but you finally posted something I agree with, now I am worried that I am losing my mind

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
                          It took the entire season but you finally posted something I agree with, now I am worried that I am losing my mind
                          Hawkey was Gilly-esque the past two weeks.

-Blackadder
                          -Casablanca
                          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                            Hawkey was Gilly-esque the past two weeks.
                            Hawkey was spectacular indeed in both tournaments and just got better and better all year. He arguably should have been the MVP for both even though they didn't win either championship The fact he was left off both all tournament teams seemed unfair to me - does the winning goalie always get that nod? Would be great to see him return, I hope he does. If not the coaching staff has a proven record of developing whoever the goalie is. BTW, shots on goal for PC's opponents over the past five years have steadily decreased. In Gillies first year the average per game he started was almost 31 while this year the average Hawkey faced was just above 24. (Using stats available on USCHO team stats page - SOG= Saves + Goals). Not sure where to get the "left out to dry" stats - that may be a secret

Comment

Originally posted by NEW Friar View Post
                              Hawkey was spectacular indeed in both tournaments and just got better and better all year. He arguably should have been the MVP for both even though they didn't win either championship The fact he was left off both all tournament teams seemed unfair to me - does the winning goalie always get that nod? Would be great to see him return, I hope he does. If not the coaching staff has a proven record of developing whoever the goalie is. BTW, shots on goal for PC's opponents over the past five years have steadily decreased. In Gillies first year the average per game he started was almost 31 while this year the average Hawkey faced was just above 24. (Using stats available on USCHO team stats page - SOG= Saves + Goals). Not sure where to get the "left out to dry" stats - that may be a secret
                              I feel that Gillies and Ellis got alot more "outside" shots on them and the save numbers were inflated. Just my opinion that I think they give up more high quality scoring situations now than they did in Ellis season in the pipes. I think PC was beat on the ND GWG at least 4-5 times this year as the defense would forget to cover the guy right in front. It was either this year or last year against BU where they scored that exact goal and Maine did the same thing in the regular season matchup this year in Providence.

Comment

Working...
                              X