Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61

Thread: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

  1. #1
    Say, this is nice. Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Wauwatosa, WI
    Posts
    34,086

    Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    Someone had to start it.

    Who do we lose? Who are we recruiting?
    Who are we playing next year?

    Who are we rooting for in a few weeks?

    "I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

    2008 POTY

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    1,294

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    Good move Jon now we wait and see what happens in the off season

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    Dugan and OíBrien should step right into the lineup this fall as elite players. OíBrien is probably the highest rated recruit since Jankowski and is a likely borderline first round pick this upcoming draft.

    Dugan was a fifth round pick of Vegas and has 25 goals and 30 assists in the USHL right now.

    They have another Finnish guy coming in which looking at stats is a defensive shutdown type...

    Riley Prattson hasnít lit up the scoreboard with the Junior Bruins so I wouldnít expect him to be an offensive guy and the rest of the recruiting class I donít see them on the top six on offense.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    I think Foley should sign if he is healthy and Vincent who improved in the second half of the season. It all comes down to money.

    If Hawkey signs, they are going to have to speed up a goalie a year as that kid from the Pittsburgh area (name is slipping me) is expected to be the starter in 2019-2020

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    12

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    A generous tweet from Mark Divver recognizing the current state of PC hockey. This is a great time to be a fan.

    https://twitter.com/MarkDivver/statu...80986301915136

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Posts
    3,052
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    I think Foley should sign if he is healthy and Vincent who improved in the second half of the season. It all comes down to money.

    If Hawkey signs, they are going to have to speed up a goalie a year as that kid from the Pittsburgh area (name is slipping me) is expected to be the starter in 2019-2020
    Jake Kucharski is goalie. I donít see him as ready. There are older Euros in USHL who maybe are waiting for a winning team, play a year and go pro. PCís style would fit their immediate need

    Finn is Mikael Hakkarainen remove the national team players Hughes and Whalmstram (so) and he is USHL ppg leader. Might be injury prone. Is tall but lanky

    Prattson isnít coming. Transfer from BU Johnny McDermott has to come. There is Tyce Thompson possibly. I think the expected player we might not see is Matt Koopman, he has junior eligibility left and had a poor year. I think Ford and Gould were for 19. Allen like Prattson only played NCDC. They got Bjorkqvist late so a true Euro if Forward departures are higher then expected. Also like goalie there are several older Euros still available, maybe they just play pro in Europe but maybe they are playing the waiting game to see who departs early and which teams needs them for a year or 2. Issue might be passing TOEFL, many are Eastern Euros, English might not be as solid as Bjorkqvist who appears quite articulate in English

    The fewer early departures beyond Foley who I agree is gone the better this team is.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by cavbim View Post
    Jake Kucharski is goalie. I don’t see him as ready. There are older Euros in USHL who maybe are waiting for a winning team, play a year and go pro. PC’s style would fit their immediate need

    Finn is Mikael Hakkarainen remove the national team players Hughes and Whalmstram (so) and he is USHL ppg leader. Might be injury prone. Is tall but lanky

    Prattson isn’t coming. Transfer from BU Johnny McDermott has to come. There is Tyce Thompson possibly. I think the expected player we might not see is Matt Koopman, he has junior eligibility left and had a poor year. I think Ford and Gould were for 19. Allen like Prattson only played NCDC. They got Bjorkqvist late so a true Euro if Forward departures are higher then expected. Also like goalie there are several older Euros still available, maybe they just play pro in Europe but maybe they are playing the waiting game to see who departs early and which teams needs them for a year or 2. Issue might be passing TOEFL, many are Eastern Euros, English might not be as solid as Bjorkqvist who appears quite articulate in English

    The fewer early departures beyond Foley who I agree is gone the better this team is.
    What type of role is McDermott coming here for? Third liner at best? Don't see him becoming an offensive force based on his track record.

    Kucharski still isn't saving at a good clip at only .882 and a 3.49 GAA both of those numbers aren't good at this time.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Posts
    3,052
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    What type of role is McDermott coming here for? Third liner at best? Don't see him becoming an offensive force based on his track record.

    Kucharski still isn't saving at a good clip at only .882 and a 3.49 GAA both of those numbers aren't good at this time.
    Iíd say McDermott sounds fits a Connor McPhee role.

    Agree on Kucharski. Real preference is a Hawkey stays. Mollot-Hillís record doesnít sound any better. They act like Aslandis is 3 years away and Avon lists his grad year as 19, so at least 2

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Southeast of Providence...
    Posts
    419

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    Leaman last week in one of the Hawkey articles said he felt Gabe was ready to take on bigger role even challenge Hayden for minutes next year, if Hayden stays. Said he has improved a lot over the year. Helps to have a former goalie coaching them.

    Guess we will see what happens in the next few weeks. If Hayden leaves maybe Gabe is the next Ellis (although Ellis had 2 years behind Gillies).

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by 73PCFriar View Post
    Leaman last week in one of the Hawkey articles said he felt Gabe was ready to take on bigger role even challenge Hayden for minutes next year, if Hayden stays. Said he has improved a lot over the year. Helps to have a former goalie coaching them.

    Guess we will see what happens in the next few weeks. If Hayden leaves maybe Gabe is the next Ellis (although Ellis had 2 years behind Gillies).
    I think Hawkey was clearly their best player in the final four games of the year and if I was to give out a team MVP award for the entire season, Hayden would get it as I believe the defense left him out to dry more than I have ever seen under Leaman.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

  11. #11
    Say, this is nice. Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Wauwatosa, WI
    Posts
    34,086

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    There's a happy fun conspiracy theory on Twitter today about Motzko signing with the Rodents setting off a huge chain reaction of coaching departures in the college hockey world.
    Should be a fun two weeks.

    "I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

    2008 POTY

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    1,294

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    I think Hawkey was clearly their best player in the final four games of the year and if I was to give out a team MVP award for the entire season, Hayden would get it as I believe the defense left him out to dry more than I have ever seen under Leaman.
    It took the entire season but you finally posted something I agree with, now I am worried that I am losing my mind

  13. #13
    Say, this is nice. Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Wauwatosa, WI
    Posts
    34,086

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by satyking View Post
    It took the entire season but you finally posted something I agree with, now I am worried that I am losing my mind
    Hawkey was Gilly-esque the past two weeks.

    "I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

    2008 POTY

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    12

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Hawkey was Gilly-esque the past two weeks.
    Hawkey was spectacular indeed in both tournaments and just got better and better all year. He arguably should have been the MVP for both even though they didn't win either championship The fact he was left off both all tournament teams seemed unfair to me - does the winning goalie always get that nod? Would be great to see him return, I hope he does. If not the coaching staff has a proven record of developing whoever the goalie is. BTW, shots on goal for PC's opponents over the past five years have steadily decreased. In Gillies first year the average per game he started was almost 31 while this year the average Hawkey faced was just above 24. (Using stats available on USCHO team stats page - SOG= Saves + Goals). Not sure where to get the "left out to dry" stats - that may be a secret

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by NEW Friar View Post
    Hawkey was spectacular indeed in both tournaments and just got better and better all year. He arguably should have been the MVP for both even though they didn't win either championship The fact he was left off both all tournament teams seemed unfair to me - does the winning goalie always get that nod? Would be great to see him return, I hope he does. If not the coaching staff has a proven record of developing whoever the goalie is. BTW, shots on goal for PC's opponents over the past five years have steadily decreased. In Gillies first year the average per game he started was almost 31 while this year the average Hawkey faced was just above 24. (Using stats available on USCHO team stats page - SOG= Saves + Goals). Not sure where to get the "left out to dry" stats - that may be a secret
    I feel that Gillies and Ellis got alot more "outside" shots on them and the save numbers were inflated. Just my opinion that I think they give up more high quality scoring situations now than they did in Ellis season in the pipes. I think PC was beat on the ND GWG at least 4-5 times this year as the defense would forget to cover the guy right in front. It was either this year or last year against BU where they scored that exact goal and Maine did the same thing in the regular season matchup this year in Providence.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by NEW Friar View Post
    Hawkey was spectacular indeed in both tournaments and just got better and better all year. He arguably should have been the MVP for both even though they didn't win either championship The fact he was left off both all tournament teams seemed unfair to me - does the winning goalie always get that nod? Would be great to see him return, I hope he does. If not the coaching staff has a proven record of developing whoever the goalie is. BTW, shots on goal for PC's opponents over the past five years have steadily decreased. In Gillies first year the average per game he started was almost 31 while this year the average Hawkey faced was just above 24. (Using stats available on USCHO team stats page - SOG= Saves + Goals). Not sure where to get the "left out to dry" stats - that may be a secret
    I have no clue how Morris was picked over Hawkey in the Regional....Morris was absolute trash against Michigan Tech and wasn't too strong against PC either.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    There's a happy fun conspiracy theory on Twitter today about Motzko signing with the Rodents setting off a huge chain reaction of coaching departures in the college hockey world.
    Should be a fun two weeks.

    One of the rumors is Dennehy ends up at PC as an assistant coach.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

  18. #18
    Say, this is nice. Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Wauwatosa, WI
    Posts
    34,086

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    As predicted, Foley just signed with the Blues.

    "I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

    2008 POTY

  19. #19
    Friar Fever.... be a believer!
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Corn Neck Rd. BIRI
    Posts
    1,832

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    I'm happy for Foley but it sucks to see him go.

  20. #20
    Say, this is nice. Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Wauwatosa, WI
    Posts
    34,086

    Re: Providence Off season Thread 2018: Insert Clever Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by PC91 View Post
    I'm happy for Foley but it sucks to see him go.
    Agreed. He's at least in the top five forwards we've had in the Nate era.

    "I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

    2008 POTY

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •