College Hockey NIT Tournament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Hockey NIT Tournament?

Maybe this has been proposed before, but what would y'all think about a post-season tourney for those who don't make it into the NCAA Tourney -- something like hockey's version of the NIT? Make it the top 8 teams who are left out of the big show, and to increase interest and attendance, you could play all the games, including the semis and final, on campus sites. Good/bad idea? Feasible?

Re: College Hockey NIT Tournament?

Most colleges struggle with attendance for meaningful games. I can’t imagine they would do well for a consolation prize tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
      Maybe this has been proposed before, but what would y'all think about a post-season tourney for those who don't make it into the NCAA Tourney -- something like hockey's version of the NIT? Make it the top 8 teams who are left out of the big show, and to increase interest and attendance, you could play all the games, including the semis and final, on campus sites. Good/bad idea? Feasible?
      Not so much a question of whether or not it's a good idea. Like everything else, money will be the determining factor. What makes you think it can succeed, given that we have spent the last five years talking about attendance problems? If people won't go to the NCAAs, they won't go to an "NIT" tournament. There's also too much other competition. You already have the NCAA men's and women's bball. As it is, they "moved" the Frozen Four so it wouldn't conflict with the NCAA basketball tournament. So when would you have it? You can't have it "after" that because we've ("we" meaning TV and other coverage) moved on the baseball and the spring sports. I just don't see how it's feasible and I don't think there is a market for it.

Comment

d.o.a. ..sorry.
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
          Not so much a question of whether or not it's a good idea. Like everything else, money will be the determining factor. What makes you think it can succeed, given that we have spent the last five years talking about attendance problems? If people won't go to the NCAAs, they won't go to an "NIT" tournament. There's also too much other competition. You already have the NCAA men's and women's bball. As it is, they "moved" the Frozen Four so it wouldn't conflict with the NCAA basketball tournament. So when would you have it? You can't have it "after" that because we've ("we" meaning TV and other coverage) moved on the baseball and the spring sports. I just don't see how it's feasible and I don't think there is a market for it.
          Good points. I was thinking playing the games in campus rinks might be enough to overcome the attendance issue. Might not make a difference in places like Boston, but in locations where college hockey is pretty much the one and only "thing" it could work. I could actually see UVM selling out for a tourney game. Maybe places like Clarkson, Cornell, Michigan Tech, etc. would too.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
            d.o.a. ..sorry.
            Oh sure, I see. Now that you're an NCAA tourney team.....

Comment

Not sure you need a "My team got screwed!" tournament when the selection is objective.

Comment

I have a very vague memory of just such a tournament, many, many years ago (late '70's, early '80's). Sean?
                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Maybe this has been proposed before......
                  Maybe??

Some genius comes up with this brilliant idea for the first time every year. In fact, I've already seen it this year. I'm just too lazy to track it down.

At the end of regular season play, who has been eliminated from the national tourney except Arizona? The bottom two in the WCHA? Again, too lazy to look it up. Everybody else plays in their conference tournament for a seed in the national tourney.
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                    Maybe??
                    Yes, maybe. Also too busy to look it up.

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                    At the end of regular season play, who has been eliminated from the national tourney except Arizona? The bottom two in the WCHA? Again, too lazy to look it up. Everybody else plays in their conference tournament for a seed in the national tourney.
                    In basketball teams can win their conference tourney and go to the Big Dance. That said, they still have an NIT. So your "analysis" is relevant to the topic, how?

Sorry for the response, but if you're gonna get smarmy, at least bring something to the table.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                      I have a very vague memory of just such a tournament, many, many years ago (late '70's, early '80's). Sean?
                      1974. I remember it quite well.

It was a failure and one now might even be worse.

semis
                      UVM 3 Lake State 2,
                      Duluth 6 St Louis 3

consolation St Louis 7 Lake State 5
                      championship Duluth 7 UVM 4

UVM was an ECAC-2 school then.

It was called the National Invitational Hockey Tournament (NIHT).
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-26-2018, 03:48 PM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        1974. I remember it quite well.

It was a failure and one now might even be worse.

semis
                        UVM 3 Lake State 2,
                        Duluth 6 St Louis 3

consolation St Louis 7 Lake State 5
                        championship Duluth 7 UVM 4

UVM was an ECAC-2 school then.

It was called the National Invitational Hockey Tournament (NIHT).
                        Ralph, do you remember any other detail?

Whose idea was it? Where was it held? Attendance?
                        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                          Ralph, do you remember any other detail?

Whose idea was it? Where was it held? Attendance?
                          I THINK it was at the Gutt.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I could actually see UVM selling out for a tourney game. Maybe places like Clarkson, Cornell, Michigan Tech, etc. would too.
                            Except that as opposed to UVM, those three teams made the NCAA's this year. Cornell makes it quite often and may turn down a bid to the Butt-Hurt Hockey Tournament.
                            Can't we all just get along?
                            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              I THINK it was at the Gutt.
                              Actually, according to this little bio of Ted Castle, a player on the UVM team that year, it was held in Duluth, MN.
                              https://uvmathletics.com/hof.aspx?hof=208

Comment

Working...
                              X