Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Hockey NIT Tournament?

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    Except that as opposed to UVM, those three teams made the NCAA's this year. Cornell makes it quite often and may turn down a bid to the Butt-Hurt Hockey Tournament.
    Right, realized that after posting it. Was just trying to think of a few schools where hockey is king. Maybe a school like Cornell would turn it down, but then again it'd probably be up to the players, and college players like playing hockey. There'd also have to be some encouragement from the NCAA -- i.e., some kind of request that eligible schools do their best to help out a fledgling tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
      Right, realized that after posting it. Was just trying to think of a few schools where hockey is king. Maybe a school like Cornell would turn it down, but then again it'd probably be up to the players, and college players like playing hockey. There'd also have to be some encouragement from the NCAA -- i.e., some kind of request that eligible schools do their best to help out a fledgling tournament.
      You're joking, right?
      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        1974. I remember it quite well.

It was a failure and one now might even be worse.

semis
        UVM 3 Lake State 2,
        Duluth 6 St Louis 3

consolation St Louis 7 Lake State 5
        championship Duluth 7 UVM 4

UVM was an ECAC-2 school then.

It was called the National Invitational Hockey Tournament (NIHT).
        Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
        Ralph, do you remember any other detail?

Whose idea was it? Where was it held? Attendance?
        The first mention I found of it in TIHN (The Intercollegiate Ice Hockey Newsletter) was the 26 February 1974 issue:

N.I.H.T to Feature Top Teams in Post-Season Championship Competition
        The first annual NIHT will be held March 14, 15, and 16 at the Duluth (Minn) Arena-Auditorium coincident with the NCAA Hockey Championship dates at Boston Garden.
        A four-member selection committee, consisting of an eastern coach, a western coach and two members of the NIHT Board of Directors, will select two eastern teams and two western teams to participate in the tournament. A field of four outstanding teams, exclusive of those competing in the NCAA event, is expected.
        The NIHT, which will be co-sponsored by the city of Duluth and the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame, has received responses from 45 colleges indicating an interest in participation if invited. Schools that have expressed an interest include all of the WCHA teams except Michigan State and most of the eastern schools except for Ivy League members, where an apparent conflict in obtaing University approval prior to the scheduled dates may preclude their possible participation.

In the final issue (dated April 1974) of TIHN for the season associate editor Arthur Kaminsky mentioned the NIHT in his column Open Net:

About the NIHT - what a terrible execution of a good idea. The organizers displayed absolutely no promotional talent at all. Not a word about the tournament emanated from Duluth all season, players of many teams knew nothing of its existence, and most college hockey people just forgot about it. So it was no surprise when early March came around and no one wanted to trek to Duluth. No financial inducements were given and since the coaches of the top clubs that were possible invitees (UNH, RPI, Wisconsin) hadn't been sounded out in advance, a last minute bid logically fell on deaf ears. It was embarrassing that only one eastern club even wanted to go. Hopefully, next year, the event will be well publicized, possible entrants more effectively sounded out in advance and maybe it can be turned into the first class event which all college hockey people would welcome.

I'm having issue with ProQuest, so I'm currently not able to check The Boston Globe for further articles.

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

In 1974 only 4 teams made the NCAA tournament correct? Having an alternate 4 team NIT tournament at that time would allow you to invite some very good competition.

Now that we have 16 teams in the tournament, having an NIT with 4-8 more teams just doesn't seem all that appealing. Would the event be any more interesting than the ice breaker or any of the current in season holiday tournaments? I doubt it.

Comment

You're joking, right?
            Haha, keep in mind I started thinking about this a couple of days ago. It's a work in progress!
            Guess I was thinking, like the big dance itself, the NCAA would be involved. There'd be no conflict, right? It's not like it would take away from that event. If they're not involved in any way, you're right, I certainly wouldn't expect them to encourage teams to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
              The first mention I found of it in TIHN (The Intercollegiate Ice Hockey Newsletter) was the 26 February 1974 issue:

N.I.H.T to Feature Top Teams in Post-Season Championship Competition
              The first annual NIHT will be held March 14, 15, and 16 at the Duluth (Minn) Arena-Auditorium coincident with the NCAA Hockey Championship dates at Boston Garden.
              A four-member selection committee, consisting of an eastern coach, a western coach and two members of the NIHT Board of Directors, will select two eastern teams and two western teams to participate in the tournament. A field of four outstanding teams, exclusive of those competing in the NCAA event, is expected.
              The NIHT, which will be co-sponsored by the city of Duluth and the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame, has received responses from 45 colleges indicating an interest in participation if invited. Schools that have expressed an interest include all of the WCHA teams except Michigan State and most of the eastern schools except for Ivy League members, where an apparent conflict in obtaing University approval prior to the scheduled dates may preclude their possible participation.

In the final issue (dated April 1974) of TIHN for the season associate editor Arthur Kaminsky mentioned the NIHT in his column Open Net:

About the NIHT - what a terrible execution of a good idea. The organizers displayed absolutely no promotional talent at all. Not a word about the tournament emanated from Duluth all season, players of many teams knew nothing of its existence, and most college hockey people just forgot about it. So it was no surprise when early March came around and no one wanted to trek to Duluth. No financial inducements were given and since the coaches of the top clubs that were possible invitees (UNH, RPI, Wisconsin) hadn't been sounded out in advance, a last minute bid logically fell on deaf ears. It was embarrassing that only one eastern club even wanted to go. Hopefully, next year, the event will be well publicized, possible entrants more effectively sounded out in advance and maybe it can be turned into the first class event which all college hockey people would welcome.

I'm having issue with ProQuest, so I'm currently not able to check The Boston Globe for further articles.

Sean
              Hmmm, interesting. There seemed to be some legitimate support for it, what with 45 schools expressing an interest and someone saying "it was a terrible execution of a good idea."

Comment

at least bring something to the table.
                Exactly. Hopefully something besides the same leftovers that we've seen for the past eleventeen billion years.
                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Maybe this has been proposed before, but what would y'all think about a post-season tourney for those who don't make it into the NCAA Tourney -- something like hockey's version of the NIT? Make it the top 8 teams who are left out of the big show, and to increase interest and attendance, you could play all the games, including the semis and final, on campus sites. Good/bad idea? Feasible?
                  UVM texas cat are you looking to try and get Sneddon another extension because you know a hockey NIT would lead to it and UVM that stupid to call it a honor and success! don't do it for this reason alone no no no times infinity and beyonf!!!!

Comment

Someone made a mock bracket on the subreddit a while back...this year they would've had:

(1) Minnesota vs (8) Mercyhurst (AHA regular season champ)
                    (4) Bowling Green vs (5) Omaha

(2) North Dakota vs (7) Union
                    (3) BC (HE regular season champ) vs (6) Northern Michigan

I mean, I'm not a fan of the consolation tournament idea (the NIT has historical reason to exist), but the potential of Minnesota-North Dakota for a consolation trophy would be pretty freaking hilarious
                    https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post
                      UVM texas cat are you looking to try and get Sneddon another extension because you know a hockey NIT would lead to it and UVM that stupid to call it a honor and success! don't do it for this reason alone no no no times infinity and beyonf!!!!
                      Haha, leave it to you to come up with that as a reason to nix it! But you're right -- (a) god forbid it should lead to a Sneddon extension; and (b) if we won, UVM probably would look at it as an achievement. Maybe there'd even be a banner!

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                        Someone made a mock bracket on the subreddit a while back...this year they would've had:

(1) Minnesota vs (8) Mercyhurst (AHA regular season champ)
                        (4) Bowling Green vs (5) Omaha

(2) North Dakota vs (7) Union
                        (3) BC (HE regular season champ) vs (6) Northern Michigan

I mean, I'm not a fan of the consolation tournament idea (the NIT has historical reason to exist), but the potential of Minnesota-North Dakota for a consolation trophy would be pretty freaking hilarious
                        Yeah, North Dakota-BC in the semis would also be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post

Only if the final was held at holy cross
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                            Exactly. Hopefully something besides the same leftovers that we've seen for the past eleventeen billion years.
                            Whatevs....

Comment

Ralph, do you remember any other detail?

Whose idea was it? Where was it held? Attendance?
                              Sean has used the same source which I have. Nothing is mentioned about attendance.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

This is posted under "Memorable Bulldog Moments" on the UMD hockey website:

March 16, 1974. The host Bulldogs upend the University of Vermont 7-4 to capture the short-lived (it lasted just one year) National Invitational Hockey Tournament, a four-team event patterned after college basketball’s NIT, for clubs which didn’t qualify for NCAA post-season play.

Comment

Working...
                                X