Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: St. Paul Frozen Four 2018: Football helmets vs UMD

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
    You can't have my tickets, but I'll be there rooting for the little guy.
    Meaning you'll be rooting for Ohio State!

As I briefly mentioned to the Clarkson faithful over on the Women's Hockey Board: The OSU Hockey Community is relatively small, and relatively close knit. OSU, as a whole, is truly vast. But in many ways it's a collection of smaller, more manageable communities.

Another way to look at it: The other three hockey programs are all more decorated than we are. On the ice, we're the new kids; we're the underdog.

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
    Understandable. My comment was more about who has more college hockey fans, Ohio State or Notre Dame.
    Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Sorry, then I predict more ND fans - AND I HOPE THEY'RE DISAPPOINTED WITH THE OUTCOME!
    Agree with HockeyBuckeye on the turnout, for multiple reasons.

1. Based in part on 1998, I'd expect we'll sell out our allotment. Then there's a small group of Buckeye fans who go to the FF annually. But outside of those two groups, only a few more will travel. I'm guessing we'll have 800-900 people in the building, tops. The other schools will all bring more. (In the case of Duluth, a lot more.)

2. Driving time is also a factor. Those traveling from South Bend are looking at 7.5 to 8 hours. In contrast, Columbus is a 12 to 13 hour trip. That's actually a big difference. 8 hours is a work day. But after about 10 hours, "You just wish the trip was through," to borrow a Bob Seger phrase.

3. Finally, Notre Dame has alumni everywhere. And even more importantly, they have non-alum sports fans everywhere. I'd anticipate that ND will get some help from the large Irish-American community in St. Paul. Even if our coach is a Hill-Murray alum.

Oh, by the way: Minnesota-based fans should keep in mind that the Michigan coach is an EDINA alum. Just sayin'.

Comment

Re: St. Paul Frozen Four 2018: ND, UMD, OSU, MI

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
      That is NOT 3 B1G teams I see??? lol Best part is that I went to the one school not among the B1G contingent. Would rather my Gophers had .002 more in RPI, then we might have 4 B1G teams in the Frozen Four?
      I guess that means that UMD isn't Maryland.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

A Notre Dame - UMD final is on order.
        Ohio State will face a hostile environment, but have the team to overcome it.

However, it will be a road game for sure.....

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          Meaning you'll be rooting for Ohio State!

As I briefly mentioned to the Clarkson faithful over on the Women's Hockey Board: The OSU Hockey Community is relatively small, and relatively close knit. OSU, as a whole, is truly vast. But in many ways it's a collection of smaller, more manageable communities.

Another way to look at it: The other three hockey programs are all more decorated than we are. On the ice, we're the new kids; we're the underdog.

Agree with HockeyBuckeye on the turnout, for multiple reasons.

1. Based in part on 1998, I'd expect we'll sell out our allotment. Then there's a small group of Buckeye fans who go to the FF annually. But outside of those two groups, only a few more will travel. I'm guessing we'll have 800-900 people in the building, tops. The other schools will all bring more. (In the case of Duluth, a lot more.)

2. Driving time is also a factor. Those traveling from South Bend are looking at 7.5 to 8 hours. In contrast, Columbus is a 12 to 13 hour trip. That's actually a big difference. 8 hours is a work day. But after about 10 hours, "You just wish the trip was through," to borrow a Bob Seger phrase.

3. Finally, Notre Dame has alumni everywhere. And even more importantly, they have non-alum sports fans everywhere. I'd anticipate that ND will get some help from the large Irish-American community in St. Paul. Even if our coach is a Hill-Murray alum.

Oh, by the way: Minnesota-based fans should keep in mind that the Michigan coach is an EDINA alum. Just sayin'.
          Not so sure about 3. Minneapolis doesn't have a significant Irish heritage. It's not Chicago. It's primary immigrant waves were Nordic and Northern German and very Protestant. And besides, as a Chicagoan, I can say that the subway alum thing is a a faint echo of its past. The grandchildren of the subways just don't have that attachment to ND, and the fresh off the boat Irish (and other Catholic immigrants) follow soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
            And besides, as a Chicagoan, I can say that the subway alum thing is a a faint echo of its past. The grandchildren of the subways just don't have that attachment to ND, and the fresh off the boat Irish (and other Catholic immigrants) follow soccer.
            Almost all sports traditions like the Notre Dame Subway-Alums are fading memories but if you are in the Xcel Center on Thursday, you'll see that even if it is not what it was in the 1950s, 60s or 70s, the Subway-Alums are quite alive and well. I've not seen a game played by this hockey team from Maine to Colorado -- despite being barely a blip on the college hockey radar until the last decade or so -- where there were not a better than you'd think showing of Notre Dame rooters. Duluth fans will probably outnumber the rest of us combined, but Notre Dame is not going to lack for fans there.

Comment

Not so sure about 3. Minneapolis doesn't have a significant Irish heritage. It's not Chicago. It's primary immigrant waves were Nordic and Northern German and very Protestant. And besides, as a Chicagoan, I can say that the subway alum thing is a a faint echo of its past. The grandchildren of the subways just don't have that attachment to ND, and the fresh off the boat Irish (and other Catholic immigrants) follow soccer.
              St Paul does. You know, where the games are being played.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                St Paul does. You know, where the games are being played.
                Lol
                AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

You know Minneapolis, but to this point you've missed out on St. Paul. St. Patrick's Day is huge there. Giant Irish Festival in the summertime as well.

Will some fans of those events will come the FF next weekend? I can't respond with confidence. But my my guess is that it will be a small, but noticeable, factor in the make-up of the crowd.

If you want to defend the opposite guess, you'd argue that these are casual fans who won't bother with the secondary ticket market.

Comment

Meet the Frozen Four coaches: Jeff Jackson, Mel Pearson, Steve Rohlik and Scott Sandelin

http://www.startribune.com/meet-the-...lin/478471153/
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

@MNHockeyMag: BREAKING: Citing weather concerns, college hockey media scraps travel plans to St. Paul and strikes deal to cover 2018 #FrozenFour from Tampa, Florida’s Amalie Arena. “It’s simply too cold to cover hockey anywhere else,” says one hardy, anonymous scribe. https://***********/MNHockeyMag/stat...573889/photo/1
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Yeah, and College Hockey News tried an April's Fool joke claiming Denmark as a regional site next year.

Comment

Yeah, and College Hockey News tried an April's Fool joke claiming Denmark as a regional site next year.
                          That's where Ovechkin will play his 100th game for Russian National Team this May.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Only a suckeye would fall for that.
                            Originally posted by alfablue
                            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Wonder if those toolbag Buckeye football fans will show up...the fat, bald face painted guy and the other dude that wears a cowboy hat. Add in Notre Dame and you could have quite a few people who are mesmerized at the sight of a hockey puck

If I remember correctly, three of these teams were in the FF last time it was in St. Paul. Only thing missing will be the Sioux/Hawks fan flipping off the Michigan players.
                              LOL....classy NoDik fans.
                              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

While I'd love for the average football fan Ohio State alum to take notice of the hockey program, the last thing we want are those attention whore (non-alum I might add) superfans showing up to get their faces in front of the camera. There isn't an Ohio State alum that I know who doesn't cringe every time the cameras turn to these imbeciles during a football game.
                                Big Lots buckeyes...

We have the same issue with Walmart Wolverines.

Comment

Working...
                                X