St. Paul Frozen Four 2018: ND, UMD, OSU, MI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    In all these one goal wins by ND, don't think any of them had them needing a goal in final minutes to tie. They looked absolutely clueless on what to do.
    You nailed it JD. No sense of urgency in the final minute.

Comment

• Re: St. Paul Frozen Four 2018: ND, UMD, OSU, MI

What a run by UMD. Sad it started with us, but impressive to watch from Sioux Falls to St. Paul. Congrats.
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        SLU fans didn't complain as much, this is true. East coast (due to water effect) is milder, and gets more snow. We're just cold. I believe today was the warmest of the weekend at 32 degrees for a high, 7 for a low. Yesterday was about the same temp, but the wind was brutal, I'll admit that. And when carousing about town, the buildings create corridors of higher winds (it seems like).
        Didn't complain at all . I may be a Florida guy now, but I grew up in the bitter cold, it wasn't terrible weather this weekend. Not 80 like it would have been in Tampa, but some day the NCAA will learn

3 great games this weekend. Duluth is certainly a deserving champion, I came away super impressed with their defensive effort, and ability to turn those shut down's into quick offense the other way. I can't count how many times Notre Dame had rushes stopped at/just inside the blue line tonight.

Glad I got to meet some of the MN contingent on here, was a very enjoyable day before the game.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
          Didn't complain at all . I may be a Florida guy now, but I grew up in the bitter cold, it wasn't terrible weather this weekend. Not 80 like it would have been in Tampa, but some day the NCAA will learn

3 great games this weekend. Duluth is certainly a deserving champion, I came away super impressed with their defensive effort, and ability to turn those shut down's into quick offense the other way. I can't count how many times Notre Dame had rushes stopped at/just inside the blue line tonight.

Glad I got to meet some of the MN contingent on here, was a very enjoyable day before the game.
          I am very happy you enjoyed your time here. As I told tCBG/ewe, we feel terrible if one does not have a good time here. Even if it is not our fault, we take it as a personal fault if you don't enjoy yourselves. It's almost like "Sh*, need to confess our sins." Yeah.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

woooohoooo!

NATIONAL CHAMPIONS AGAIN!
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Congratulations to the Bulldogs! Awesome game. Looked like a pretty darn full arena, too, which is really nice to see. 5 freshman & a sophomore on D bodes well for your future.
              You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Spent all day yesterday wandering around St Paul, pub crawl/etc. No tix to the game, and scalped tix weren't cheap from what I hear.

The good: lively and friendly fans from all around, pretty much every place we hit up, we ran into random fans from around the nation (even the 2 DU fans! The whole fanbase made it! ) who at least gave a smile and a wave. Everyone seemed to be having a great time. Parking prices were not bad, either. I parked about 4-5 blocks from the arena, expecting to pay $20, only had to pay $15.

The bad: weather was better than earlier in the week, thank goodness. Didn't want to totally p*ss off the visitors. The Jesus freaks with their megaphones outside the arena were annoying as hell. Stupid drivers went along with that. I left St Paul right before game time, almost got side-swiped by an SUV trying to merge over 3 lanes. Also, no one was listening to the traffic cops. They'd try to wave the drivers through, and the drivers would change direction for whatever reason.

Oh, and too many Whioux fans. I think that goes without saying, though.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

You could definitely hear the obnoxious "SIOUX!" during the anthem

Comment

Spent all day yesterday wandering around St Paul, pub crawl/etc. No tix to the game, and scalped tix weren't cheap from what I hear.

The good: lively and friendly fans from all around, pretty much every place we hit up, we ran into random fans from around the nation (even the 2 DU fans! The whole fanbase made it! ) who at least gave a smile and a wave. Everyone seemed to be having a great time. Parking prices were not bad, either. I parked about 4-5 blocks from the arena, expecting to pay $20, only had to pay $15.

The bad: weather was better than earlier in the week, thank goodness. Didn't want to totally p*ss off the visitors. The Jesus freaks with their megaphones outside the arena were annoying as hell. Stupid drivers went along with that. I left St Paul right before game time, almost got side-swiped by an SUV trying to merge over 3 lanes. Also, no one was listening to the traffic cops. They'd try to wave the drivers through, and the drivers would change direction for whatever reason.

Oh, and too many Whioux fans. I think that goes without saying, though.
                    This was my first ever visit to Minnesota and other than the weather and the flight out (@#$# Delta), I have no complaints. A couple of surprising things ... First, there were so many empty seats for the semifinals. For the "state of hockey", I expected the place to be busting at the seams. I guess maybe a lot of people didn't travel due to the weather. The seats were full on Saturday though, guessing maybe the entire city of Duluth was getting them on secondary markets? Second, the lack of support from the other 3 fan bases. I get it that hockey is a secondary sport for them but jeez, there were more Clarkson fans there than OSU or Notre Dame fans. Third, a good surprise, BEER inside the arena.

As far as the arena, probably the nicest NHL arena I've been to. Odd though that they have only 1 escalator going to the upper level. I was a little upset that Maricucci wasn't open on Saturday as I wanted to do some sightseeing. I did get into the women's arena but to my dismay, the boards from the Women's FF had been taken off, but center ice was still there.

Finally, there were a really nice group of folks in town from just about every hockey program in the country. It's really a shame the city didn't do more to promote it. St. Paul ranks firmly ahead of Boston in my FF experiences, but nowhere near the top.
                    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                    7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                      This was my first ever visit to Minnesota and other than the weather and the flight out (@#$# Delta), I have no complaints. A couple of surprising things ... First, there were so many empty seats for the semifinals. For the "state of hockey", I expected the place to be busting at the seams. I guess maybe a lot of people didn't travel due to the weather. The seats were full on Saturday though, guessing maybe the entire city of Duluth was getting them on secondary markets? Second, the lack of support from the other 3 fan bases. I get it that hockey is a secondary sport for them but jeez, there were more Clarkson fans there than OSU or Notre Dame fans. Third, a good surprise, BEER inside the arena.

As far as the arena, probably the nicest NHL arena I've been to. Odd though that they have only 1 escalator going to the upper level. I was a little upset that Maricucci wasn't open on Saturday as I wanted to do some sightseeing. I did get into the women's arena but to my dismay, the boards from the Women's FF had been taken off, but center ice was still there.

Finally, there were a really nice group of folks in town from just about every hockey program in the country. It's really a shame the city didn't do more to promote it. St. Paul ranks firmly ahead of Boston in my FF experiences, but nowhere near the top.
                      Glad you (mostly) enjoyed your trip. I agree on the promotion part. St Paul could have done better. As far as attendance, the UM fans (the real UM ) given the situation with the team/coach...guessing many just said fuggit. I know I did.

I hope the F4 comes back here, as St Paul is continuing to grow in night life and outside entertainment, to help with the full visitor experience. It's already miles better than in 2011.

Comment

Many of us Gopher fans celebrated with them in 2011. Then after that, they acted like UND fans, thinking they won 27 titles, instead of 1. Insufferable.

Edit: imagine DrunkHockeyGuy x 1 into DHG x 1000.
                        Don't understand why it is so bad for you to hate Duluth, as a MN team. It's not like UMD fans are going to be leading the bandwagon the next time the Gophs make a run. Can't say I know any Bulldog fans that like the Gophs.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          You could definitely hear the obnoxious "SIOUX!" during the anthem
                          That does pizz me off......don't mess with the anthem.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            Hostile. And certainly Abusive.

Whioux fans, obviously.

Comment

Congrats to the UAA Seawolves, currently owner of the second-longest win streak in college hockey
                              https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                              https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                              NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                              Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Cornell does it too. When it gets to "...and the rockets' red glare..." they all yell "RED!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X