Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Will probably take a while.
    You know maybe they should let them fight a little. lol That always gets the juices flowing.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Yeah, I agree. Will probably take a while.
      If they would start serving beer at the games it wouldn't take very long.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        You know maybe they should let them fight a little. lol That always gets the juices flowing.
        Sometimes I miss the old Mariucci. Games in that venue were absolutely crazy fun to watch.

1988 Game against Michigan State
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Lots of great names on that team: Stauber, Bischoff, Cates, Broten, Hankinson, Gersich. They were fun to watch!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            If they would start serving beer at the games it wouldn't take very long.
            No doubt

Comment

I agree with him. Fans may miss the WCHA (we all do), but it is not coming back. People need to move on and start supporting the B1G.

I remember when the WCHA included Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, and Notre Dame. These were big rivals before and are becoming big rivals again.
              Ditto! Well said mnstateOfhockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                Can't you just be happy putting players in the NHL? Now you want the team to win too?!?!?!
                I know, greedy aren't they, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                  I remember the days you were talking about! Imo, it's going take another 5 to 10 years before rivalries develop again.
                  I don't know if it will take that long. What makes a good rivalry starts on the ice, then flows out to the fans. What is going on out on the ice is already a rivalry, if only the beginning maybe, it's still a rivalry, especially after this year. Michigan made it's whole push to get to the Frozen Four off of their kicking the Gopher's arses, PSU did the same thing, came out of left field to beat us 4 straight to get them in, and with a little help from some unexpected Conf Champs, put the Gophers out. So right there, any players from this season still around next year might remember both Michigan and PSU. Minnesota and Wisconsin have ALWAYS had their rivalry. Michigan and MSU and Ohio St have always had their rivalries. The only rivalries needing fuel are the crossover ones and vs the new guys, PSU and Notre Dame. But Notre Dame coming in like they did, winning the Conf Title their first year, has to put a target on their backs, and if they win the Natl Title, well, anywhere they go to play next year fans will be that much more motivated to go to the game. Same if OSU wins it, or Michigan?

Minnesota struggling is probably very good for the Conf. Sucks for Gopher fans obviously, but in the long run, what is good for the BTHC is good for college hockey and what is good for both of those will be good for Minnesota as even after our struggles, we are still The State of Hockey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Motzko press conference today live on BTN at 1:00pm.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...gn=GopherDaily
                    He definitely doesn't have much of an affinity for the media and I thought his message was very brief without a lot of content. "I'm a hockey coach, ok?" Given media exposure in the Twin Cities is at another level with the Gophers than SCSU, that will have to change.

When asked why he left SCSU, he seemed to be caught off guard and fumbled for an answer other than the obvious one, more money. Frankly, I'm not overly exuberant over the hire, but I hope he brings new energy.

Grant Potulny, the 2018 WCHA Coach of the Year, just signed an eight year deal with NMU that will run through 2026.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                      He definitely doesn't have much of an affinity for the media and I thought his message was very brief without a lot of content. "I'm a hockey coach, ok?" Given media exposure in the Twin Cities is at another level with the Gophers than SCSU, that will have to change.

When asked why he left SCSU, he seemed to be caught off guard and fumbled for an answer other than the obvious one, more money. Frankly, I'm not overly exuberant over the hire, but I hope he brings new energy.

Grant Potulny, the 2018 WCHA Coach of the Year, just signed an eight year deal with NMU that will run through 2026.
                      I thought he did a great job.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

When asked by reporters why he took the job, his summary response was he always felt he had one more move in him, and "he wanted it". I don't intend this to be a harsh criticism, but unlike an alumnus, I didn't hear a personal passion to represent the University of Minnesota and the hockey tradition. I understand he's obviously aware of its history, but other than working as an asst. I didn't hear him articulate any personal affinity and connection to it. My overall impression was he took the job for the money and prestige of coaching the Gophers.

Comment

When asked by reporters why he took the job, his summary response was he always felt he had one more move in him, and "he wanted it". I don't intend this to be a harsh criticism, but unlike an alumnus, I didn't hear a personal passion to represent the University of Minnesota and the hockey tradition. I understand he's obviously aware of its history, but other than working as an asst. I didn't hear him articulate any personal affinity and connection to it. My overall impression was he took the job for the money and prestige of coaching the Gophers.
                          You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I didn't get that sense at all. To me it came off as he has a great passion for coaching, for this state, and its flagship program. I got the sense that he was honored to get this opportunity.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I didn't get that sense at all. To me it came off as he has a great passion for coaching, for this state, and its flagship program. I got the sense that he was honored to get this opportunity.
                            Generally speaking, I think anyone would be honored. I'm curious, did he actually say "flagship program"? I could be wrong, but I don't think he did. What specifically did he say that indicated to you that he has a "passion" for the "flagship program"?

Comment

Generally speaking, I think anyone would be honored. I'm curious, did he actually say "flagship program"? I could be wrong, but I don't think he did. What specifically did he say that indicated to you that he has a "passion" for the "flagship program"?
                              He said something to that effect, and talked a lot about how much respect this programhas and dessrves. He also said it was the only job that could take him away from SCSU.

Respect your opinion, but couldn't disagree with you more.

Comment

Is that a surprise? He left his Alma mater. Why else would he do it other than money and prestige?
                                Originally posted by SJHovey
                                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Working...
                                X