Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

I hate to dwell on this, but losing Lindgren and CM early just makes it more frustrating they didn't make it this year, and yes, frustrated with people who thought it best they didn't make it. Gotta take every shot you can. I was hoping CM would give it one more year. would have been fun to see how much he improved.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
      I hate to dwell on this, but losing Lindgren and CM early just makes it more frustrating they didn't make it this year, and yes, frustrated with people who thought it best they didn't make it. Gotta take every shot you can. I was hoping CM would give it one more year. would have been fun to see how much he improved.
      The more I think about it, CM left because of the new coach (whoever he may be). He might have regressed due to a different system. I have not looked at/seen the contract, but I'm guessing he's getting the max. Why risk that by sub-par stats, or injury?
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        No question CM had a huge impact on the ice. I'm curious, however, how his presence might have affected some of his teammates in the locker room. Not saying it was necessarily negative, but I wonder if the tremendous publicity (and in some cases overblown) hype he received could have affected some of other players? Would this be possible? You look at several of the players whose performance declined compared to the year before and wonder how this could be, given the sheer brilliance CM sometimes displayed in setting up his teammates.
        Good question. CM's presence did change the team dynamic from the season before. A few thoughts:

The Pitlick-Kloos-Sheehy line had excellent chemistry, outstanding point production and some exciting GWGs. Sheehy had a career year as a 20 goal scorer and the Big Ten Player of the Year. There was more scoring by committee than a focus on one outstanding player. The PP was very good under that team identity as well.

Enter 2017-18 and the celebrity spotlight is all over CM. And Captain Sheehy's numbers fall of a cliff (-51%), the lowest in his Gopher career. Lucia tried to balance the lines as much as possible, but the focus was clearly on CM last season. That changed the dynamic of the team from the season before and created a different identity on and off the ice.

Sometimes it difficult for teams to adjust and make room for a high profile player who is constantly in the media spotlight.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
          Sometimes it difficult for teams to adjust and make room for a high profile player who is constantly in the media spotlight.
          Similar thought process.....when we switched goalies. Maybe the team isn't gonna take that extra chance, they will defend a little more....why? Dunno about that goalie. Unfamiliar. With CM...ok offensive superstar rep, right? They might go a little more aggressive. It's really situational.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Lol. You guys are worried.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
              Depends what you mean by impact. This team is like 30th in the PWR without him.
              Originally posted by D2D View Post
              No question CM had a huge impact on the ice.
              Its an academic discussion. But taking your positive look, the team would go from a middle of the pack in the B1G and no hardware with CM...to middle of the B1G and no hardware without him. From another perspective, the team last year was 23-12 (without him) and won the B1G and this year was 19-17 and it missed the play offs (with him). The problem is that rather than have a seasoned sophomore coming back...we need to replace him adding another freshman who typically average just 10 pts in their first year.

CM's a supremely talented guy, fully capable of moving to the next level...but his impact on the Gophers was really pretty negligible.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                With a different coaching staff? You keep crying about how much the program needs a change (and I don't necessarily disagree with you) but if that change had been made one season earlier are so so freaking sure the regression and/or lack of improvement seen for so many wouldn't have materialized different the past season?

I for one do not expect any drop off in results next year and fact am very confident they make the tournament.
                Well I'm not saying that changing other variables couldn't possibly change things for the better.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  CM's a supremely talented guy, fully capable of moving to the next level...but his impact on the Gophers was really pretty negligible.
                  Right. McDavid's impact is negligible because he plays on a dysfunctional team as well.

Comment

Right. McDavid's impact is negligible because he plays on a dysfunctional team as well.
                    I agree. If the uninspired play in several of the games was due to chemistry issues with CM on the team, then one could say that effect negated the skill he added. But we don't know that and it is pure speculation. (Never heard any rumors of that, and most of what I've heard in the past is he doesn't have a super ego.) So then you judge it on what you see him bring on the ice. There were games he wasn't that noticeable, but there were others, like the last four, where he was the best player on the ice, but most of the rest of the team looked like they were skating in molasses. I don't see how you hang that on CM. Not to mention, I don't know how many times I saw him make a pass I didn't expect, and his linemate clearly didn't either, because they missed it, or mishandled it. Just seems harsh to essentially give him no credit for contribution to the team.

Comment

Guy has 99 points. lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                        Guy has 99 points. lmao
                        And CM was near a point per game on a team that had the worst PPs I've ever seen and a system that practically ensured no offense. Vanek probably wouldn't have been "impactful" on this team.
                        Last edited by trixR4kids; 03-27-2018, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Just to be clear, I don't buy that Casey was saddled with terrible linemates - including the top goal scorer in the USHL in the last five years. Also, they frequently didn't play against the other team's top line. He should have had a tailwind in scoring.

What I'm saying is he...

Ranks down there as one of the least impactful stars in the history of the Gopher program.
                          Casey wasn't the least productive first round Gopher ever. But the stellar Kris Chucko did produce more than him.

Points per first round pick:
                          Jeff Taffe 113
                          Thomas Vanek 113
                          Tom Chorske 101
                          Nick Bjugstad 98
                          Blake Wheeler 96
                          Erik Rasmussen 75
                          Jordan Schroeder73
                          Patrick White 53
                          Phil Kessel 51
                          Kyle Okposo 51
                          Kris Chucko 34
                          Casey Mittelstadt30
                          Jim O'Brien 15

He wasn't a great college hockey player...he'll be a great pro.
                          Last edited by 5mn_Major; 03-27-2018, 10:18 AM.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Vanek probably wouldn't have been "impactful" on this team.
                            You have ZERO way to know that. Also I love the, "Without Casey, Pitlick wouldn't or the team wouldn't do this or that...", but if you say "Without Pitlick, Casey wouldn't have done this or that", it's blasphemy.

Comment

He wasn't a great college hockey player...he'll be a great pro.
                              Exactly. He was a great player that was playing college hockey and didn't meet realistic expectations in his one year here.

Now he'll go dominate the NHL and people will say, "See he WAS great for the Gophers." like it's related somehow.

Comment

Glad it's settled that Middlestadt is going to dominate the NHL.
                                Originally posted by SJHovey
                                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Working...
                                X