Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
    The part in parentheses shocks me. I didn't get to watch the championship, but I have to imagine they did the same thing again ND that they did against Ohio St. Get a two goal lead and pack er in tight around the goal. They don't completely shut down the offense but they definitely reigned it in big time. That's a fine line to play and your goalie has to be on, especially against a team like tOSU who could really put the puck in the net. Props to them that it worked but I'm surprised that it did....

Just another tUMD title at the X....
    Their blue line is good enough that they can play that way and win, though it didn't seem like their goalie had to work too hard other than the one goal ND scored. Eventually ND just ran out of time and they just didn't get anything going earlier on combined with the one weak goal Morris let in.

Comment

Any update on GPL or another temp board like they made in 2003 during the FF?

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
        The “risk” of playing Motzko’s high flying transition style.
        Realize that St Cloud was one of the few teams that still continues to play on a big sheet too. That probably plays a role. The style of hockey they play is entertaining because they generally score a lot of goals and recruit players to utilize that mold. Unfortunately, when you play a team that is really good defensively and plays a trap/clog style of hockey on a smaller sheet, you run into trouble (example: Air Force). Whether Bob continues to try and play that way at Minnesota, I don't know. You also gotta have the players to execute it too.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
          You also gotta have the players to execute it too.
          Including some very mobile and skilled defensemen.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            Any update on GPL or another temp board like they made in 2003 during the FF?
            with regards to...?
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              with regards to...?
              The Portal is inaccessible although the forums are.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                The Portal is inaccessible although the forums are.
                Clear all cookies and cache. I had the same issue. Visit it once, gotta clear it before going again.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'm feeling good about the decision to move on from the Lucia era. I think things were even more stale than we could tell as fans.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Anyone find it interesting that some people see little value in having "M" guys for coaches for the Men's hockey team, it is all about experience, yet the U hired a woman's basketball coach based largely on the fact of her Legacy, given she has never coached?

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                      Anyone find it interesting that some people see little value in having "M" guys for coaches for the Men's hockey team, it is all about experience, yet the U hired a woman's basketball coach based largely on the fact of her Legacy, given she has never coached?
                      It's almost as if there are higher standards for the Men's hockey team than for the women's basketball team.
                      Originally posted by SJHovey
                      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                      Originally posted by Brenthoven
                      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                        There is no one today on the hockey side that equals the legacy of Whalen. if we did, maybe it would be worth a try.
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

The best coaches are teachers of the game. A player that had to work like crazy every step of the way is likely to be a good teacher. He or she has the ability to break things down into their component parts. The natural superstar? Not necesassarily.

Due to the Whalen's history as a "coach-on-the-court" point guard, I'm guessing she'll do very well on the coaching side. But this strikes me as an exception to the usual pattern.

Gopher & USA Hockey were much better off with Herb Brooks. Looking forward, I believe Gopher Hockey will be much better off with Bob Motzko, than whatever natural superstar you might have tabbed.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                            The best coaches are teachers of the game. A player that had to work like crazy every step of the way is likely to be a good teacher. He or she has the ability to break things down into their component parts. The natural superstar? Not necesassarily.

Due to the Whalen's history as a "coach-on-the-court" point guard, I'm guessing she'll do very well on the coaching side. But this strikes me as an exception to the usual pattern.

Gopher & USA Hockey were much better off with Herb Brooks. Looking forward, I believe Gopher Hockey will be much better off with Bob Motzko, than whatever natural superstar you might have tabbed.
                            Agreed on the superstar approach. The Great One couldn't coach, because he didn't have the understanding of how to explain the steps to get better, because it came so natural to him. The ones that have to work to get better usually make better coaches.

To put it another way, a grinder will teach: Here's how I got better, I did this and this and this.
                            The superstar will ask: Why can't you do this? It's so easy. I don't understand why you don't understand.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Schedules thread has you backing out of the trip to Canton/Potsdam this year and possibly the SLU trip to MMMM in 2019.

What's up??
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                                There is no one today on the hockey side that equals the legacy of Whalen. if we did, maybe it would be worth a try.
                                I wasn't referring to just the head coach position though. Some have argued it doesn't matter if any of the three coaches are Legacy coaches. While I support a head coach being able to choose who they want for assistants, I think it could be a mistake to move completely away from having a former player on the bench in the case of MN. They just get too many players who grew up watching the Gophs in the state to not think about this. How do you play up the 'playing for the Gophers is everything you thought it would be when you were a little kid so come and play here now' message when not a single person recruiting them experienced it themselves? None of them would be able to say what it is like to put on the M. For women's basketball, it appears they put a fair amount of weight on that (and her high visibility and accomplishments overall) and how they suspect that will affect recruiting. And of course I recognize that the Woman's BB coach at MN isn't one of the top destinations for that sport, so it wasn't like they would expect to lure away a top coach with year's of winning records under their belt from another program. But interesting zero actual coaching or recruiting experience was apparently valued less than name recognition and legacy value for recruiting. I was happy when they hired Lucia and have nothing against the Motzko hire. Lucia always had at least one guy on the bench who bled Maroon and Gold. I just hope that the value of a guy like that in some recruiting situations is considered. (It's not like all possible non-former Gopher assistant coach candidates are head and shoulders above everyone who put on the M.)

Comment

Working...
                                X