Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    And I will add this - The more people say that Mike Guentzel was "owed" the job (not saying anyone here has, but I have read that elsewhere), the more content I am that he didn't get the job. I don't want our coaching decisions to be made on ANYTHING other than coaching, talent development, and recruiting merits. I could care less if he is an alum or not or whether or not he is passionate about Gopher hockey. I care about talent evaluation, recruiting prowess, and coaching ability when it comes to filling our head coaching positions. I don't want to ever get to the point where we are just passing the torch to the guy who is the biggest cheerleader or has been around the longest.

Again, not saying that Mike Guentzel isn't good or great at any of those, I am just less confident in his ability than I was 5 years ago and I wanted to see a shakeup. Just my $0.02.
    So I have never felt or said that he was owed the job. (My point was that we don't really know how good of a coach he was.) But I am guessing the people who state this are not using his dedication to the program as the only criteria. I think they are probably just not stating the facts about what made him a good coach (coaching, recruiting, talent development), and saying that commitment to the U should have pushed him over the top. I know I didn't feel like Motzko or anyone else was a sure homerun. Motzko was a new direction. Probably as good of a choice as any, but not the same as when it was a two horse race between Lucia and Blais. And I am guessing the people who regularly stated Lucia's more recent performance in the NCAA's weren't pumped about Bob's record. I think the people who felt Guentzel should have gotten the job recognize the affect the change in the recruiting landscape has had on college hockey so don't feel that the program was in the death spiral some felt and therefore a completely new direction wasn't necessary. I agree that dedication shouldn't be the primary factor in promoting a person, but it does have some value at a place like MN where you are recruiting based on the dedication generations of players have to the school and because the job is a grind where you want to be sure the motivation is there to go the extra mile. I am guessing that these people feel that there is enough value in this that it more than balances out his lack of HC experience. And I don't see how this is necessarily completely wrong and a person who says Guentzel wasn't right for the job is completely correct, when none of us are really in a position to accurately gauge this. There were people who know a lot better than us what his abilities area as a coach that were on both sides of the fence on this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
      So I have never felt or said that he was owed the job. (My point was that we don't really know how good of a coach he was.) But I am guessing the people who state this are not using his dedication to the program as the only criteria. I think they are probably just not stating the facts about what made him a good coach (coaching, recruiting, talent development), and saying that commitment to the U should have pushed him over the top. I know I didn't feel like Motzko or anyone else was a sure homerun. Motzko was a new direction. Probably as good of a choice as any, but not the same as when it was a two horse race between Lucia and Blais. And I am guessing the people who regularly stated Lucia's more recent performance in the NCAA's weren't pumped about Bob's record. I think the people who felt Guentzel should have gotten the job recognize the affect the change in the recruiting landscape has had on college hockey so don't feel that the program was in the death spiral some felt and therefore a completely new direction wasn't necessary. I agree that dedication shouldn't be the primary factor in promoting a person, but it does have some value at a place like MN where you are recruiting based on the dedication generations of players have to the school and because the job is a grind where you want to be sure the motivation is there to go the extra mile. I am guessing that these people feel that there is enough value in this that it more than balances out his lack of HC experience. And I don't see how this is necessarily completely wrong and a person who says Guentzel wasn't right for the job is completely correct, when none of us are really in a position to accurately gauge this. There were people who know a lot better than us what his abilities area as a coach that were on both sides of the fence on this one.
      I agree 100% that none of us really know how well Guentzel would have done in the job and none of us really know how good Motzko will do in this job yet. Like you said, there was no slam dunk choices like there were when Lucia was hired. And I can respect your opinion that Guentzel should have gotten the job. I wouldn't have been upset had he gotten the job, but I am not upset that he didn't get it.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        I think the timing of when Lucia spoke highly of Guentzel is something to consider. If I'm not mistaken, he has not voiced an opinion or given any kind of a recommendation, at least publicly, since he announced his retirement. Before that, yes, he was very supportive, but no way would he say anything different with games yet to be played.

I haven't done any research on other recent coaching changes, but how often has a new head coach retained his existing coaching staff vs. bringing in his own? Doing the latter would eliminate any possibility of:

(a) any lingering resentment (MG was interviewed and obviously wanted the job) and
        (b) internal friction/disagreements between what Motzko wants to do (the new) and the way MG and Lucia have been doing things for so many years (the old).

After thinking about this I've come to the conclusion that a totally fresh start would be best for the program. This assumes that Motzko can identify and bring in the guys he needs to form a cohesive staff that are all on the same page - Motzko's page.
        Lucia is still being paid by the U's athletics department, and will have a private voice on some (many?) things over the next year. He's in a spot where he can't really say anything publicly without creating problems fort he U's recruiting/hiring process. He pretty much has to stay quiet until all hiring decisions are made.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Lucia is still being paid by the U's athletics department, and will have a private voice on some (many?) things over the next year. He's in a spot where he can't really say anything publicly without creating problems fort he U's recruiting/hiring process. He pretty much has to stay quiet until all hiring decisions are made.
          Understood. Unlikely, but if Lucia did have any (private) input on the hire, either with Coyle or the committee - or both - I wonder which one he favored.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            I agree 100% that none of us really know how well Guentzel would have done in the job and none of us really know how good Motzko will do in this job yet. Like you said, there was no slam dunk choices like there were when Lucia was hired. And I can respect your opinion that Guentzel should have gotten the job. I wouldn't have been upset had he gotten the job, but I am not upset that he didn't get it.
            Actually, I didn't think Guentzel should have, or shouldn't gotten it. I really didn't have an opinion on the best route. Just that I could see both sides. Same with assistants. Think the HC should have the freedom to chose who he thinks is best for the job (as I think Lucia should have for the last hire), but I think that having at least one person who has a history with the program has definite benefits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
              Actually, I didn't think Guentzel should have, or shouldn't gotten it. I really didn't have an opinion on the best route. Just that I could see both sides. Same with assistants. Think the HC should have the freedom to chose who he thinks is best for the job (as I think Lucia should have for the last hire), but I think that having at least one person who has a history with the program has definite benefits.
              I agree on all those points.
              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

For those of you who haven't seen the tribute to Don from @FakeDonLucia...its pretty great. Start it back on March 17:

https://***********/FakeDonLucia?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
                Go Gophers!

Comment

I ****in hate Duluth but their style of play (at least until they get a lead and pack it in) is infinitely better than what the Gophers were doing this year and it’s not shocking that they won. I honestly have no idea how good their goalie actually is because he never had to do anything difficult. And they did it with a pretty young group from what I understand.

From what Bob has said so far hopefully we can expect similar from this team in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                    I ****in hate Duluth but their style of play (at least until they get a lead and pack it in) is infinitely better than what the Gophers were doing this year and it’s not shocking that they won. I honestly have no idea how good their goalie actually is because he never had to do anything difficult. And they did it with a pretty young group from what I understand.

From what Bob has said so far hopefully we can expect similar from this team in the near future.
                    The one thing that struck me about UMD last night....was the fact that they almost never lost a one on one battle. ND couldn't get anything going because they'd get moving and then lose a one on one somewhere on the ice.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      The one thing that struck me about UMD last night....was the fact that they almost never lost a one on one battle. ND couldn't get anything going because they'd get moving and then lose a one on one somewhere on the ice.
                      I think it's in part due to the constant pressure UMD exerts in all 3 zones. Especially in the offensive zone, they aren't afraid to pinch or go all in one the forecheck sending at least 2 guys and if ND threw it to the boards that Dman would immediately pinch. In the neutral and D zone they consistently got in their opponents' faces as well and they barely conceded any good opportunities the whole tournament it seemed like. It's impressive how good their young blue line is and even in the first game against them this year it was obvious that they were playing a much better brand of hockey than we were. I can't say I watched all 59 college hockey teams this year but if any team from this year reminds me of how the Penguins play it's Duluth.
                      Last edited by trixR4kids; 04-08-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

IMO, SCSU's biggest flaw over Motzko's era was too many defensive breakdowns. Far too many times the backside players were left unguarded, and could flip in easy goals. It's not that the D was poorly designed, just that I think the D-men had too many other things running through their heads, or the offside wing wasn't covering his guy. It was tough to say which at times, but a few years ago it seemed like the Huskies surrendered at least 1 goal per game that way.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          IMO, SCSU's biggest flaw over Motzko's era was too many defensive breakdowns. Far too many times the backside players were left unguarded, and could flip in easy goals. It's not that the D was poorly designed, just that I think the D-men had too many other things running through their heads, or the offside wing wasn't covering his guy. It was tough to say which at times, but a few years ago it seemed like the Huskies surrendered at least 1 goal per game that way.
                          The “risk” of playing Motzko’s high flying transition style.
                          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

I ****in hate Duluth but their style of play (at least until they get a lead and pack it in)
                            The part in parentheses shocks me. I didn't get to watch the championship, but I have to imagine they did the same thing again ND that they did against Ohio St. Get a two goal lead and pack er in tight around the goal. They don't completely shut down the offense but they definitely reigned it in big time. That's a fine line to play and your goalie has to be on, especially against a team like tOSU who could really put the puck in the net. Props to them that it worked but I'm surprised that it did....

Just another tUMD title at the X....
                            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                              This wasn't on transition. Those I understand and accept. The issue I had was during plays well established in the defensive zone. Those were the ones that irked me time and again.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                                I'll gladly take the reward that goes with it. But Duluth seemed to have it down pretty solid, they were a defensively staunch group as well not allowing many shots to go with the high flying offense.

Comment

Working...
                                X