Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 293

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

  1. #241
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,491

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    But he credits playing hockey at all to Minnesota. Doubtful he has a house in the land of no trees, so he knows which state is better.

  2. #242
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    666

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    But he credits playing hockey at all to Minnesota. Doubtful he has a house in the land of no trees, so he knows which state is better.
    You're right, he did say it > HERE

  3. #243
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    2,501

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    "the land of no trees"
    Did the one die?

  4. #244
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    You're right, he did say it > HERE
    Im done hijacking your thread to talk about a Washington kid who played at North Dakota, but it is funny to watch you guys try to claim Oshie. Enjoy the offseason.

  5. #245
    Dammit, Gorilla!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hometown: Plymouth, MN Currently: Champlin, M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A
    Posts
    1,902

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    Im done hijacking your thread to talk about a Washington kid who played at North Dakota, but it is funny to watch you guys try to claim Oshie. Enjoy the offseason.
    They can have him, I don't want him. He's the main reason I don't want Washington to win the Cup.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

    USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

    Everything is Hill's fault.....

    "Hakstol you hack!!!!"

  6. #246
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,256

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Re: Gopher attendance I see where students can buy either a 'Game 1' or a 'Game 2' season ticket package for $99 each. I do not know how this compares to 2017-18, but to me it seems very reasonable.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  7. #247
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    30,418

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Re: Gopher attendance I see where students can buy either a 'Game 1' or a 'Game 2' season ticket package for $99 each. I do not know how this compares to 2017-18, but to me it seems very reasonable.
    That's about $10/game. For someone like me, who has full-time employment, and isn't paying college tuition, it's quite cheap. For a student paying tuition, likely works around 25hrs/week, paying $99 up front can look like a serious amount of money. Whatever the U is trying to do here, it's still going to be seen as a significant roadblock by many students.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  8. #248
    Dammit, Gorilla!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hometown: Plymouth, MN Currently: Champlin, M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A
    Posts
    1,902

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    That's about $10/game. For someone like me, who has full-time employment, and isn't paying college tuition, it's quite cheap. For a student paying tuition, likely works around 25hrs/week, paying $99 up front can look like a serious amount of money. Whatever the U is trying to do here, it's still going to be seen as a significant roadblock by many students.
    Again, they sold out student tickets out as of a couple years ago. Price clearly isn't an issue for these students. Getting them to actually show up consistently once they've purchased tickets is the current challenge.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

    USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

    Everything is Hill's fault.....

    "Hakstol you hack!!!!"

  9. #249
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,013

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Price isn't an issue for *some* students.
    "Hey dad, some of my friends are getting hockey tickets so I need $100 to get them too."
    "OK, here's $100."

    I don't think it's unreasonable to assume some of these students aren't really all that invested in using all of their tickets.

    Make the majority of student tickets available for walk-up purchase at $5 a pop, first come first serve. I'd wager student attendance would increase and be more energetic.
    Just my $.02
    Last edited by Stauber1; 05-31-2018 at 07:44 PM.

  10. #250
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    666

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    That's about $10/game. For someone like me, who has full-time employment, and isn't paying college tuition, it's quite cheap. For a student paying tuition, likely works around 25hrs/week, paying $99 up front can look like a serious amount of money. Whatever the U is trying to do here, it's still going to be seen as a significant roadblock by many students.
    The escalating cost of tuition and and student fees is a growing concern for students and parents. The avg. indebtedness of undergraduates at the U after they finish their degree program is close to $30,000. It could be higher for some and varies depending on the college. Just the "course fee" for Carlson School of Management ranks among the highest at almost $600 in addition to some 20 other student fees, some of which are directly related to paying off the U's facilities debt whether you use these facilities or not.

    Depending on the degree program, every student enrolled for more than 6 credit units at the U currently pay anywhere from $800-$1000 total in fees per semester in addition to their tuition or nearly two grand an academic year.

    The current proposal on the table that Kaler and the Board of Regents are discussing is another tuition inc. of 2% for the coming academic year to cover salary benefits. Every 1 percent increase in resident tuition means another $3.4 million in revenue. Non-resident tuition will go up 15% (huge spike here) and student fees 1%.

    The U is not entirely to blame for this, since Minnesota State Legislature funding has decreased over recent years and is below the US average educ. funding and the future does not look good (ARTICLE).

    You mentioned in a recent post the "activities fee" was something like $17.XX per semester at SCSU. The student activities fee at the U is currently $18.54 per academic year or $9.27/semester. If they increase this by $10 to 19.27 per semester to cover the cost of student season tickets, students at the University of Minnesota can attend ALL sporting events for FREE throughout the academic year.

    Regarding student season ticket no-shows, there are probably several factors at work here. If Mariucci averages 30% no-shows per game (% students?), perhaps the students don't like the atmosphere either.

    With free student season tickets at SCSU, I'm curious if you have ever noticed or heard of a consistent problem of student no-shows over the years?
    Last edited by SteveO; 06-01-2018 at 01:04 AM.

  11. #251
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    30,418

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    With free student season tickets at SCSU, I'm curious if you have ever noticed or heard of a consistent problem of student no-shows over the years?
    I'd say that the student sections at SCSU are somewhere between 50-80% filled for most Friday games. SCSU's challenge here, though, is that it's a commuter school. Most students leave St. Cloud for the weekend, going home to work because of depressed wages in the St. Cloud area compared to the Twin Cities.

    SCSU also has an issue where the administration started cracking down on the students. When I was in school, the student section was raucous, and belligerent to opponents. The student sections would be packed, and we'd do what we could to get under a goalie's skin. During my freshman year, DU's senior goalie, Wallinheimo, used to bathe in it, almost luxuriating in it, and then played with the crowd. Most goalies tried to ignore it, probably because the Huskies weren't that good despite having both Matt Cullen and Mark Parrish as freshmen. The entire building would in turn get really loud, and with it the natural use of profane language by the low-level college students attracted to schools like SCSU. We unofficially called the one student section "the Dog Pound," lacking creativity and all, and the school eventually duped the kids into creating a student organization for it, sometime during the '00s. So now the admins had more ways of putting pressure on the students to behave. This has hurt Friday game student attendance from when I was there.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  12. #252
    Dammit, Gorilla!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hometown: Plymouth, MN Currently: Champlin, M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A
    Posts
    1,902

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Stauber1 View Post
    Price isn't an issue for *some* students.
    "Hey dad, some of my friends are getting hockey tickets so I need $100 to get them too."
    "OK, here's $100."

    I don't think it's unreasonable to assume some of these students aren't really all that invested in using all of their tickets.

    Make the majority of student tickets available for walk-up purchase at $5 a pop, first come first serve. I'd wager student attendance would increase and be more energetic.
    Just my $.02
    Not disagreeing with what you are saying, just sharing. If you go on Facebook there is a U of M ticket exchange for students. Every home series weekend there are students saying they have a ticket available for the hockey games for face value. With as tech savvy and kids are these days it's not difficult to just email over the ticket and print it off after PayPal/Venmo has been received or to just meet up on campus and hand off a paper copy. Students, even students without season tickets, can find their way to hockey games if they want to. It just seems like hockey isn't a big draw on campus right now.

    And I agree with your point about parents paying for tickets, I'm sure that happens quite often.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

    USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

    Everything is Hill's fault.....

    "Hakstol you hack!!!!"

  13. #253
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    1,049
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I'd say that the student sections at SCSU are somewhere between 50-80% filled for most Friday games. SCSU's challenge here, though, is that it's a commuter school. Most students leave St. Cloud for the weekend, going home to work because of depressed wages in the St. Cloud area compared to the Twin Cities.

    SCSU also has an issue where the administration started cracking down on the students. When I was in school, the student section was raucous, and belligerent to opponents. The student sections would be packed, and we'd do what we could to get under a goalie's skin. During my freshman year, DU's senior goalie, Wallinheimo, used to bathe in it, almost luxuriating in it, and then played with the crowd. Most goalies tried to ignore it, probably because the Huskies weren't that good despite having both Matt Cullen and Mark Parrish as freshmen. The entire building would in turn get really loud, and with it the natural use of profane language by the low-level college students attracted to schools like SCSU. We unofficially called the one student section "the Dog Pound," lacking creativity and all, and the school eventually duped the kids into creating a student organization for it, sometime during the '00s. So now the admins had more ways of putting pressure on the students to behave. This has hurt Friday game student attendance from when I was there.
    Free tickets at Kato are generally a good thing, but there are so many exceptions (Thanksgiving weekend games, winter break games, spring break games) that itís hard to get a consistently strong student section. And as Clown mentioned, the admins have pretty much killed the rowdy old days. I think itís wise for a school not to put too many eggs in the student attendance basket.

  14. #254
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    113,448

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I'd say that the student sections at SCSU are somewhere between 50-80% filled for most Friday games. SCSU's challenge here, though, is that it's a commuter school. Most students leave St. Cloud for the weekend, going home to work because of depressed wages in the St. Cloud area compared to the Twin Cities.

    SCSU also has an issue where the administration started cracking down on the students. When I was in school, the student section was raucous, and belligerent to opponents. The student sections would be packed, and we'd do what we could to get under a goalie's skin. During my freshman year, DU's senior goalie, Wallinheimo, used to bathe in it, almost luxuriating in it, and then played with the crowd. Most goalies tried to ignore it, probably because the Huskies weren't that good despite having both Matt Cullen and Mark Parrish as freshmen. The entire building would in turn get really loud, and with it the natural use of profane language by the low-level college students attracted to schools like SCSU. We unofficially called the one student section "the Dog Pound," lacking creativity and all, and the school eventually duped the kids into creating a student organization for it, sometime during the '00s. So now the admins had more ways of putting pressure on the students to behave. This has hurt Friday game student attendance from when I was there.
    The one thing that all us Dr Obvious's have noticed is that with a new arena, the more restrictions are in place, as for fan behavior. Now, I cuss ALL the time. Not at a game for chants or taunts. No F-bombs or sh* or b* or anything like that. "Sucks?" Yep. Maybe a dam.

    And I've almost gotten kicked out for using "sucks" (at UND, and no, it wasn't a MN series).

    Once you go corpie, there is no turning back.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  15. #255
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    30,418

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    The one thing that all us Dr Obvious's have noticed is that with a new arena, the more restrictions are in place, as for fan behavior. Now, I cuss ALL the time. Not at a game for chants or taunts. No F-bombs or sh* or b* or anything like that. "Sucks?" Yep. Maybe a dam.

    And I've almost gotten kicked out for using "sucks" (at UND, and no, it wasn't a MN series).

    Once you go corpie, there is no turning back.
    SCSU stopped playing the school song prior to games because we clever SCSU students figured out that HUSKIES is seven letters, the same as F---YOU. So when it came to our own spelling bee of a school song, we made the adjustment. The school then made an adjustment by my junior year.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  16. #256
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    113,448

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    SCSU stopped playing the school song prior to games because we clever SCSU students figured out that HUSKIES is seven letters, the same as F---YOU. So when it came to our own spelling bee of a school song, we made the adjustment. The school then made an adjustment by my junior year.
    MN stopped playing "Rock'N'Roll Pt 2" (the "hey" song) because Gary Glitter was a pedophile. Reality: it was b/c the fans chanted "(team) sucks" during the song. BS Admin.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  17. #257
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    666

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    SCSU stopped playing the school song prior to games because we clever SCSU students figured out that HUSKIES is seven letters, the same as F---YOU. So when it came to our own spelling bee of a school song, we made the adjustment. The school then made an adjustment by my junior year.
    IIRC throwing batteries on the ice vs Gophers caught the Admin's attention too. Scumbags...

  18. #258
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    30,418

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    IIRC throwing batteries on the ice vs Gophers caught the Admin's attention too. Scumbags...
    Oddly enough, I recall photos circulating showing that it wasn't (only) the Husky fans throwing those batteries. Our administration was just dumb enough to package them into light up twirling thingies.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  19. #259
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    666

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Two Tickets on StubHub for the Gophers/UND in Vegas currently @ $469 ea., 1-4 tics $500 ea. Considering airfare, room rates in Vegas, meals, maybe some gambling that's an expensive weekend.

    There are no more tics at face value. Some estimated the game literally sold out in about 5 seconds. I suspect scalpers will do well.

    Many fans who wanted tics complained that UND screwed up by choosing the smaller Orleans arena (7,773) instead of T-Mobile (17,500) and launched a petition to move it to T-Mobile (ARTICLE).

    Could UND have opted for a larger venue? Brad Schlossman's article on why UND chose Orleans (ARTICLE)

  20. #260
    Dammit, Gorilla!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hometown: Plymouth, MN Currently: Champlin, M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A
    Posts
    1,902

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Two Tickets on StubHub for the Gophers/UND in Vegas currently @ $469 ea., 1-4 tics $500 ea. Considering airfare, room rates in Vegas, meals, maybe some gambling that's an expensive weekend.

    There are no more tics at face value. Some estimated the game literally sold out in about 5 seconds. I suspect scalpers will do well.

    Many fans who wanted tics complained that UND screwed up by choosing the smaller Orleans arena (7,773) instead of T-Mobile (17,500) and launched a petition to move it to T-Mobile (ARTICLE).

    Could UND have opted for a larger venue? Brad Schlossman's article on why UND chose Orleans (ARTICLE)
    It's a cost thing, I'm sure, as Schlossman points out. But it's an atmosphere thing too. Would they be able to sell out T-Mobile or come close? Hard to say. You know for sure Orleans Arena will be packed full and the atmosphere will be nuts. It's the same reason UND is hosting regionals in Fargo and Sioux Falls. If UND makes it, it's going to be mad house. I'd sure rather watch that than the Gophers host at an empty Xcel Energy Center.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

    USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

    Everything is Hill's fault.....

    "Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •