Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Falling on fans at NHC since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    It was inevitable. Every new HC needs to hire the assts he can work with. Raboin's been with Motzko for years, knows his coaching style and will bring a lot more physicality to the D lineup. IMO in terms of coaching style, Guentzel and Motzko together was not a good fit.

Best of luck to Mike. I hope he lands a HC job somewhere soon...
    I am not sure how much SCSU hockey you have watched, but physicality is probably the last trait I would attribute to the SCSU defensive corps.

wubba lubba dub dub

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    I am not sure how much SCSU hockey you have watched, but physicality is probably the last trait I would attribute to the SCSU defensive corps.
    Outside of Borgen, I agree with this entirely.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

I honestly don't know that much about Raboin, but Motzko has intimated that there will be more "toughness". Gophers have lacked some of that in recent seasons. I assume that involves the D as well.

Minnesota just got a commitment from Prior Lake native Matt Denman. '98 Offensive Dman who started the year in the NAHL but Cedar Rapids brought him up midway and he led the Roughriders in points from the blue line

Had to post a congrats to former Gophers Nate Schmidt and Eric Haula for helping the Vegas Golden Knights reach the Stanley Cup Finals in their inaugural season.

They are the first expansion team to reach the Finals in their debut season in 50 years since the St Louis Blues, who played in a division of nothing but expansion teams after the NHL grew from six to 12 teams prior to the 1967-68 season. Exciting stuff...

Interview with Nate: https://streamable.com/wcg54

Had to post a congrats to former Gophers Nate Schmidt and Eric Haula for helping the Vegas Golden Knights reach the Stanley Cup Finals in their inaugural season.

They are the first expansion team to reach the Finals in their debut season in 50 years since the St Louis Blues, who played in a division of nothing but expansion teams after the NHL grew from six to 12 teams prior to the 1967-68 season. Exciting stuff...

I am still not sure about how much of an opportunity the NHL gave this team and the fact they will have to do the same to Seattle. Vegas has a ton of depth so will likely suffer less in the next expansion draft than a lot of teams out there. I think they will likely be contenders for the next few years, while teams like the Wild that were close, took a step back in the Vegas draft and will likely do so again with the loss of another upper half player. As a Wild fan, I am conflicted about Vegas. I like the MN connection and they play a fun style of hockey. But I can't help but feel bitter that Haula and Tuch would have looked better in Green and helped the team be more of a contender. And that MN didn't have nearly the quality of players made available to them so had to build to this. (They had the one early run, but that was playing a very defensive style that required everything to fall their way. Not a team that was near the top in talent.)

Dammit, Gorilla!!
    Hometown: Plymouth, MN Currently: Champlin, M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    I am still not sure about how much of an opportunity the NHL gave this team and the fact they will have to do the same to Seattle. Vegas has a ton of depth so will likely suffer less in the next expansion draft than a lot of teams out there. I think they will likely be contenders for the next few years, while teams like the Wild that were close, took a step back in the Vegas draft and will likely do so again with the loss of another upper half player. As a Wild fan, I am conflicted about Vegas. I like the MN connection and they play a fun style of hockey. But I can't help but feel bitter that Haula and Tuch would have looked better in Green and helped the team be more of a contender. And that MN didn't have nearly the quality of players made available to them so had to build to this. (They had the one early run, but that was playing a very defensive style that required everything to fall their way. Not a team that was near the top in talent.)
    It's frustrating to me hearing all the praise heaped upon the Vegas GM. He did make some nice moves, don't get me wrong, and he obviously chose the right mix of players that teams were exposing. I wasn't a huge fan of hockey back when the Wild came into the league, but from what I understand Vegas played by a very different set of rules than the Wild did back then. Not to mention they were the only team coming in while the Wild also had Columbus coming in that same year which took away from the talent pool they were choosing from. I'm not trying to take toooooooo much away from the guy because he obviously made some good decisions but I just feel like Vegas was set up for success.

And yes, the fact that Haula and Tuch are having such success there is very frustrating for me.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

He fixes the cable?

Bryce Brodzinski flips his commitment to the Gophers.

Happy for the Gopher players, but yeah Vuck Fegas.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher wes View Post

And yes, the fact that Haula and Tuch are having such success there is very frustrating for me.
    I think the "and" part is the most frustrating part for me. It's the expansion draft, so you have to lose one player. But to protect someone (supposedly Dumba) we end up losing 2 guys. I think the GM deserves a lot of blame there.
    Of course, he's gone now, so I guess he took his blame.

Dammit, Gorilla!!
    Hometown: Plymouth, MN Currently: Champlin, M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A

Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    I think the "and" part is the most frustrating part for me. It's the expansion draft, so you have to lose one player. But to protect someone (supposedly Dumba) we end up losing 2 guys. I think the GM deserves a lot of blame there.
    Of course, he's gone now, so I guess he took his blame.
    I think Flecther deserves blame for the 'and' part as well(shame on Fletch also for not getting guys like Pominville, Koivu, etc to waive their no trade clause because Vegas likely wouldn't have taken them anyway as they seemingly went young). But you gotta give the Vegas GM a little credit in that regard also because he swindled a couple teams IMO, the Wild being one of them. Did I hear that he got Fleury and a pretty high draft pick from Pittsburgh? That's pretty insane as it's playing out.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

So anyone want ti take a shot at which former Gopher they think had the best season this year (individual play, not who experienced teh best season based on team play)? Wheeler?

How about best player from MN?

He fixes the cable?

Wheeler. Assist machine. Also walks that line of being gritty but not a total d-bag pretty well. Haula was good this year, Vanek also had a renaissance of sorts.

So anyone want ti take a shot at which former Gopher they think had the best season this year (individual play, not who experienced teh best season based on team play)? Wheeler?

Wheeler's still the best. Schmidt's stock increased the most.

Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    Wheeler's still the best. Schmidt's stock increased the most.
    For both best former Gopher and for best native Minnesotan?

Although he struggled in the postseason, my pick for best regular season for a former Gopher is Phil Kessel. Wheeler is a close second, and had a career best postseason. Third, Erik Haula had his best season at any level (29-26-55). Bjugstad also had a good season with the Panthers (19-30-49).

Best player from the State of MN? For forwards, probably Wheeler and then Anders Lee with the Islanders (40-22-62). On D, Jake Gardiner had a career best season for Toronto (5-47-52). Active All-Time? I'd probably go with Matt Cullen. Although He was not very effective with the Wild this season and may retire.

Not Oshie?

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Not Oshie?
    Guentzel > Oshie

Different start and finish next season. October: No exhibition start, H & A vs. UMD, two exhibitions, then off to Vegas for one game vs UND. Cap the regular season with ASU.

Full 2018-19 Gopher Men's Hockey Schedule

Thread Information