Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Casey Mittelstadt's NHL debut is Thurs. eve. with the Sabres v. Red Wings. He'll wear #37. Housley thinks his speed will help him adjust to the physicality of the NHL.

Did coach Don Lucia stepping down have an impact on Mittelstadt's decision?

"Not really much at all," he said. "I definitely enjoyed having Coach Lucia and having all those coaches at the U for a year, but at the same time I grew up as a Minnesota kid. I wanted to go to the University of Minnesota. That was my dream. I don't think it mattered who the coach was. It was more the pride to wear the M and be able to do things like that.

"For me, I don't think that weighed much into it at all. Like I said, I really enjoyed Coach Lucia, but wearing the M was always my goal."
    Sabres forward and former Gopher Kyle Okposo talks about CM joining the Sabres > HERE

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      So, did more digging as to why Potulny was the name I was given — sounds like a majority of the Gopher hockey alums wanted Grant to take over. A few didn’t think he was ready yet. Lou Nanne is a HUGE Motzko guy, who of the alums, has lots of merit of course. It sounds like Coyle simply let them know he wanted to go with the experienced guy who has had success not only in the NCAAs but with the WJC as well.

"has had success not only in the NCAAs, but with the WJC as well" Seriously??? ***, didn't he LOSE the last time he took a team to the WJC, and didn't he lost the last time he took a team to the NCAA's, as the frigging #1 seed even???

The most UNDERwhelming hire EVER.

Comment

You are lucky to pull him. Evidently the rich get richer.

Comment

Everyone wanted to get rid of Lucia, because blind Gopher fans couldn't recognize the reality that the NHL rapes and pillages all of the blue blood programs of their best players.

4 non-blue blood programs made the Frozen Four from 1998-2007, 21 made it from 2008-2017.

4 to 21.

ZERO non blue blood programs made the Title game from 1998-2007.

FOUR won Titles from 2008-2017.

That's not significant?????

Times have changed, but lazy Gopher fans who got spoiled, have not been willing to see what is right before their eyes. WAKE UP or forever be disappointed.

Lucia was easily one of the Top 3 coaches in college hockey over the past 6-7 years, yet we let him go and brought in a guy who is arguably one of the biggest chokers in NCAA history!!!!!!!!!!!

Gopher fans simply have no clue what was wrong with Gopher Hockey. Ignorant and spoiled and too lazy to research it and see that things have simply changed drastically, and no one will EVER dominate chck again, without the most incredible coach ever. Lucia was honestly the best guy for the job.

Instead we hire a guy who is a choker???

Well, I love the Gophers, but I'm resigned to sucking for the next 7-15 years. At least there is still the WOMEN's hockey team.

That and following all the former Gophers in the NHL. They led the NHL this last season in # of Gophers in the Big League, and in # of points as well, and it wasn't even close.

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
            "has had success not only in the NCAAs, but with the WJC as well" Seriously??? ***, didn't he LOSE the last time he took a team to the WJC, and didn't he lost the last time he took a team to the NCAA's, as the frigging #1 seed even???

The most UNDERwhelming hire EVER.
            Worst unbanning ever. Welcome to ignore sfb.

Comment

Who cares. You suck!

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
                They led the NHL this last season in # of Gophers in the Big League, and in # of points as well, and it wasn't even close.
                Take that the rest of you!!!! None of your pathetic programs can say you put as many Gophers in the NHL as Minnesota, and you Never will!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                  Casey Mittelstadt's NHL debut is Thurs. eve. with the Sabres v. Red Wings. He'll wear #37. Housley thinks his speed will help him adjust to the physicality of the NHL.

Did coach Don Lucia stepping down have an impact on Mittelstadt's decision?

Sabres forward and former Gopher Kyle Okposo talks about CM joining the Sabres > HERE
                  I think he would have benefited from another year, but can't blame him for his decision. Wish Casey the best of luck.
                  @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                  On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                  High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by SCSUBlackandRed View Post
                    Caught Nanne's spot on KFAN on the drive home yesterday. Clearly came across as a big Motzko supporter, which makes sense. I still don't know if Motzko can change the course at the U but he was definitely the best candidate available at this time. He was pretty good against the other Minnesota schools so I guess if that carries over that will be positive for the program.

Also said fans need to get over the WCHA being gone and that the Big Ten is definitely showing it's better. To the point he said if the Gophers had made the tournament, there would have been four Big Ten teams in the Frozen Four.

Thoughts from the Gopher faithful on that comment?
                    I agree with him. Fans may miss the WCHA (we all do), but it is not coming back. People need to move on and start supporting the B1G.

I remember when the WCHA included Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, and Notre Dame. These were big rivals before and are becoming big rivals again.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                      Take that the rest of you!!!! None of your pathetic programs can say you put as many Gophers in the NHL as Minnesota, and you Never will!
                      Can't you just be happy putting players in the NHL? Now you want the team to win too?!?!?!
                      Originally posted by SJHovey
                      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                      Originally posted by Brenthoven
                      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        I agree with him. Fans may miss the WCHA (we all do), but it is not coming back. People need to move on and start supporting the B1G.

I remember when the WCHA included Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, and Notre Dame. These were big rivals before and are becoming big rivals again.
                        I want to see Henry Boucha vs Edina

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                          I want to see Henry Boucha vs Edina
                          haha

Comment

Motzko press conference today live on BTN at 1:00pm.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...gn=GopherDaily
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post

I remember the days you were talking about! Imo, it's going take another 5 to 10 years before rivalries develop again.
                              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                                I remember the days you were talking about! Imo, it's going take another 5 to 10 years before rivalries develop again.
                                Yeah, I agree. Will probably take a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X