Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

So what's Gopher fan take on the Guentzel release? Was it inevitable with the Motzko hire? Did he perhaps want the HC position? I've seen posts on the twitter machine, which I take for what it's worth. You know, guys in their parent's basements with Cheetos colored fingers.

Inquiring minds want to know.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      So what's Gopher fan take on the Guentzel release? Was it inevitable with the Motzko hire? Did he perhaps want the HC position? I've seen posts on the twitter machine, which I take for what it's worth. You know, guys in their parent's basements with Cheetos colored fingers.

Yes, Guentzel definitely wanted the HC position and formally applied for it. I think most Gopher fans were supportive of him and are sorry to see him leave the program. But at the same time they understand that Motzko should be given the authority to choose his own assistants and they believe Raboin will prove to be a great addition to the staff. Naturally not everyone shares these opinions but from all I've read I think this is the consensus.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

It was inevitable. Every new HC needs to hire the assts he can work with. Raboin's been with Motzko for years, knows his coaching style and will bring a lot more physicality to the D lineup. IMO in terms of coaching style, Guentzel and Motzko together was not a good fit.

Best of luck to Mike. I hope he lands a HC job somewhere soon...

Comment

I'd be so angry if I was Mike Guentzel. He spends years being the associate head coach and when his time comes, they hire someone else, and on top of it remove him all together. Total back stab

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
            I'd be so angry if I was Mike Guentzel. He spends years being the associate head coach and when his time comes, they hire someone else, and on top of it remove him all together. Total back stab
            And at the same time, I think he and Lucia have themselves to blame for the current state of the program. The way it is now, it's pretty clear that Coyle felt there was a need for a clean slate and I guess I can't really blame him even though I was an advocate for Guentzel to be the next head coach. If Lucia wins another title or has a run of Frozen Fours before stepping down, maybe Coyle likes where the program is at and feels more comfortable handing the keys over to an assistant like Guentzel?
            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
              It was inevitable. Every new HC needs to hire the assts he can work with. Raboin's been with Motzko for years, knows his coaching style and will bring a lot more physicality to the D lineup. IMO in terms of coaching style, Guentzel and Motzko together was not a good fit.

Best of luck to Mike. I hope he lands a HC job somewhere soon...
              I am not sure how much SCSU hockey you have watched, but physicality is probably the last trait I would attribute to the SCSU defensive corps.
              Originally posted by SJHovey
              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
              Originally posted by Brenthoven
              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                I am not sure how much SCSU hockey you have watched, but physicality is probably the last trait I would attribute to the SCSU defensive corps.
                Outside of Borgen, I agree with this entirely.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I honestly don't know that much about Raboin, but Motzko has intimated that there will be more "toughness". Gophers have lacked some of that in recent seasons. I assume that involves the D as well.

Comment

Minnesota just got a commitment from Prior Lake native Matt Denman. '98 Offensive Dman who started the year in the NAHL but Cedar Rapids brought him up midway and he led the Roughriders in points from the blue line

Comment

Had to post a congrats to former Gophers Nate Schmidt and Eric Haula for helping the Vegas Golden Knights reach the Stanley Cup Finals in their inaugural season.

They are the first expansion team to reach the Finals in their debut season in 50 years since the St Louis Blues, who played in a division of nothing but expansion teams after the NHL grew from six to 12 teams prior to the 1967-68 season. Exciting stuff...

Interview with Nate: https://streamable.com/wcg54

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                        Had to post a congrats to former Gophers Nate Schmidt and Eric Haula for helping the Vegas Golden Knights reach the Stanley Cup Finals in their inaugural season.

They are the first expansion team to reach the Finals in their debut season in 50 years since the St Louis Blues, who played in a division of nothing but expansion teams after the NHL grew from six to 12 teams prior to the 1967-68 season. Exciting stuff...

Interview with Nate: https://streamable.com/wcg54

I am still not sure about how much of an opportunity the NHL gave this team and the fact they will have to do the same to Seattle. Vegas has a ton of depth so will likely suffer less in the next expansion draft than a lot of teams out there. I think they will likely be contenders for the next few years, while teams like the Wild that were close, took a step back in the Vegas draft and will likely do so again with the loss of another upper half player. As a Wild fan, I am conflicted about Vegas. I like the MN connection and they play a fun style of hockey. But I can't help but feel bitter that Haula and Tuch would have looked better in Green and helped the team be more of a contender. And that MN didn't have nearly the quality of players made available to them so had to build to this. (They had the one early run, but that was playing a very defensive style that required everything to fall their way. Not a team that was near the top in talent.)

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                          I am still not sure about how much of an opportunity the NHL gave this team and the fact they will have to do the same to Seattle. Vegas has a ton of depth so will likely suffer less in the next expansion draft than a lot of teams out there. I think they will likely be contenders for the next few years, while teams like the Wild that were close, took a step back in the Vegas draft and will likely do so again with the loss of another upper half player. As a Wild fan, I am conflicted about Vegas. I like the MN connection and they play a fun style of hockey. But I can't help but feel bitter that Haula and Tuch would have looked better in Green and helped the team be more of a contender. And that MN didn't have nearly the quality of players made available to them so had to build to this. (They had the one early run, but that was playing a very defensive style that required everything to fall their way. Not a team that was near the top in talent.)
                          It's frustrating to me hearing all the praise heaped upon the Vegas GM. He did make some nice moves, don't get me wrong, and he obviously chose the right mix of players that teams were exposing. I wasn't a huge fan of hockey back when the Wild came into the league, but from what I understand Vegas played by a very different set of rules than the Wild did back then. Not to mention they were the only team coming in while the Wild also had Columbus coming in that same year which took away from the talent pool they were choosing from. I'm not trying to take toooooooo much away from the guy because he obviously made some good decisions but I just feel like Vegas was set up for success.

And yes, the fact that Haula and Tuch are having such success there is very frustrating for me.
                          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Bryce Brodzinski flips his commitment to the Gophers.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Happy for the Gopher players, but yeah Vuck Fegas.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post

And yes, the fact that Haula and Tuch are having such success there is very frustrating for me.
                                I think the "and" part is the most frustrating part for me. It's the expansion draft, so you have to lose one player. But to protect someone (supposedly Dumba) we end up losing 2 guys. I think the GM deserves a lot of blame there.
                                Of course, he's gone now, so I guess he took his blame.

Comment

Working...
                                X