Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    That's nice, but there is (was?) an existing contract in place among the 4 schools that had UMTC & UW travelling to Northern NY in years 1 and 3 and Clarkson and St. Lawrence travelling to St. Paul or Madison in Years 2 and 4.

What happened to it?
    joe, my hope is that Minnesota asked/requested to swap their portion of years 3-4, for whatever reason. Atleast the BADgers are holding up their end of the bargain .

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
      Guentzel > Oshie
      You got that backwards son
      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
        That's going to be weird. Come in hot with the defending champs and then two exhibition games which, to me, are as good as 'off weeks'.
        Too bad they couldn't put 'em together in one weekend. I don't pay much attention to ex games either.

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Adding to this, my brother just told me that he and his wife dropped their season tickets that they've held for some 10 years because when they weren't able to attend some 7-8 games, they couldn't even give away the tickets to friends of family. They also spoke to the impact of the changes in tax law and the required Williams Fund donation to keep their seats.
        Earlier this year apparently AD Coyle formed a fan advisory board to collaborate on initiatives across athletics. He also put together a men’s hockey attendance committee to specifically collect actionable data from fans to improve the gameday experience. Some of the programs underway include an unused ticket exchange that allows season ticket holders to get extra seats for $4 if they missed an earlier game; Gophers Insiders, which allows pre-game interaction with coaches and alums; and incentives for perfect attendance for season ticket-holders. The marketing team also has turned to group sales involving youth hockey associations, first responders, military groups and Greek groups to try and provide unique experiences with discounted tickets. And I guess they’ll continue to refine the fan experience mixing together the band, video board content, lights, music, concessions....more cowbell, smoke and mirrors I guess.

When they realized parking receipts, and selling hot dogs, T-shirts and other junk wasn't going to put a dent in their corporate debt they moved from priority seating based upon seniority to a donation to the Williams Fund to keep your seats or improve your seating.

IMO that was a strategic marketing error and like your bro some fans got fed up and gave up tics they've held for decades. When you average the donation per ticket that makes for a very expensive night out. Those who sat next to others and became good friends over the years were inevitably separated based upon the donation scheme, which is not good for improving the overall fan experience for a financially loyal group of long time season ticket holders.

For me, lots of students at the games usually makes for an exciting college atmosphere. Years ago student season tickets used to be dirt cheap, but now it's a good chunk of cash for some students. What do students pay for a season pass at SCSU?

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Not Oshie?
          Oshie isn't from Minnesota.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            Oshie isn't from Minnesota.
            Washington
            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Said himself he probably wouldn't be playing hockey without the move to the State of Hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                For me, lots of students at the games usually makes for an exciting college atmosphere. Years ago student season tickets used to be dirt cheap, but now it's a good chunk of cash for some students. What do students pay for a season pass at SCSU?
                Nothing for the ticket. SCSU charges a sports fee to all students, something nominal, like $5 per course credit, which grants access to all sporting events by merely scanning your ID. I'm not positive of the exact fee, but it was all of $17.xx per term when I was there. Student sections were always general admin when I was in school (graduated May '99), with exception to UND and Gopher games - those games required students to get in line at the ticket box at 8:00AM on the Wednesday before the game to claim their seats.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Nothing for the ticket. SCSU charges a sports fee to all students, something nominal, like $5 per course credit, which grants access to all sporting events by merely scanning your ID. I'm not positive of the exact fee, but it was all of $17.xx per term when I was there. Student sections were always general admin when I was in school (graduated May '99), with exception to UND and Gopher games - those games required students to get in line at the ticket box at 8:00AM on the Wednesday before the game to claim their seats.
                  That's awesome and as it should be... The U introduced their "student package plan" last month. They're pushing the Gold Package as the BEST VALUE which includes: 1 Football Season Ticket, 1 Men’s Basketball Season Ticket & 1 Men’s Hockey Season Ticket for $260.

The kicker is you have to pick which night you want to see a hockey game, either Game 1 or Game 2, but not both. That's 11 games in the student section (excluding the EX with Trinity Western).

Not a fan of this strategy considering the fee structure for the avg. student is pretty steep per semester as it is.

Comment

Mankato did a similar deal for their student tickets when the Gophers came to town IIRC. It was still GA seating but you had to go wait in line to get a ticket.
                    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                      That's awesome and as it should be... The U introduced their "student package plan" last month. They're pushing the Gold Package as the BEST VALUE which includes: 1 Football Season Ticket, 1 Men’s Basketball Season Ticket & 1 Men’s Hockey Season Ticket for $260.

The kicker is you have to pick which night you want to see a hockey game, either Game 1 or Game 2, but not both. That's 11 games in the student section (excluding the EX with Trinity Western).

Not a fan of this strategy considering the fee structure for the avg. student is pretty steep per semester as it is.
                      I'm not disagreeing with you that it's probably on the expensive side for student tickets. But........

As of just a couple years ago men's hockey was selling out both nights I'm pretty sure. Saturdays were definitely sold out. So the U was selling out student tickets as of not that long ago and they were still having attendance issues. That means students were paying for tickets and still not showing up and/or not caring enough to sell or give to a friend the games that they couldn't go to. What makes you think free tickets will suddenly make attendance skyrocket? If they don't care enough to show up when they have money invested in tickets, I should think they'd have even less reason to show up if they have free tickets. JMHO.
                      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Super long article but some very interesting tidbits:

FROM GOLDEN GOPHERS TO GOLDEN KNIGHTS
                        http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...gn=GopherDaily
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post

That actually sounds like a really good deal.
                          Originally posted by SJHovey
                          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                          Originally posted by Brenthoven
                          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Super long article but some very interesting tidbits:

FROM GOLDEN GOPHERS TO GOLDEN KNIGHTS
                            http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...gn=GopherDaily
                            Somebody transfer to Clarkson??
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Hahaha
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                                Said himself he probably wouldn't be playing hockey without the move to the State of Hockey.
                                I dont know if I would call North Dakota the State of Hockey, but it is true that Oshie credits his success in the NHL to his time at UND.
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X