Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Mpls will always get more grads than other cites—a lot of friends and family there and a familiar culture overall. I think the second tier of Denver/LA is changing. Places like Charlotte, Atlanta, and Houston are attracting more midwesterners all the time. Denver still has the oil and gas connection, which affects a lot of Nodaks.
    I see a LOT of Mich Tech IDs also (bumper stickers, license plate frames).
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      UND is what, 12K? UM is 10K? Add those up, AND add the "hey let's make this a vacation!" You'd sell out.
      You're right.

Why do I even bother?
      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
        With Mariucci attendance down last season, it's hard to imagine hoards of Gopher fans making that trip.

In other news Will goal scoring increase for the Gophers in 2017-18 and which players will need to step up and do it? Sheehy had a down year in scoring last season.

Gopher ranked 36th out of 60 teams in goal scoring in 2017-18 (2016-17/7th, 2015-16/15th).

Top Ten Goal Scoring Teams in 2017-18 (GP, G, G/GP)

Minnesota State: 40, 153, 3.83
        St. Cloud State: 40, 144, 3.60
        Penn State: 38, 138. 3.63
        Michigan: 40, 136, 3.40
        Northeastern: 38, 136, 3.58
        Denver: 41, 135, 3.29
        Michigan Tech: 44, 134, 3.05
        Minnesota-Duluth:: 44, 132, 3.00
        Ohio State: 41, 131, 3.20
        Princeton: 36, 131, 3.64
        The kicker for what Motzko did at SCSU is that they were able to get pucks in the net while the top point getters for SCSU were ranked in the mid-30s. He figured out how to get his goal scorers to truly buy into the system, which had been an issue for Lucia, IMO.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Great article on Blake McLaughlin in this morning's Strib.

NHL draft prospect Blake McLaughlin demonstrates the power of families sticking together
          http://www.startribune.com/nhl-draft...her/485983991/
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Great article on Blake McLaughlin in this morning's Strib.

NHL draft prospect Blake McLaughlin demonstrates the power of families sticking together
            http://www.startribune.com/nhl-draft...her/485983991/
            And hopefully some FR goal scoring potential coming in with him, Walker, Wait, and maybe Burke (NAHL) too.

Comment

Romanko put up more goals per game in the NA than Burke and had two goals his first two college seasons. I wouldn't expect much from him this year.

Comment

Thanks, Debbie.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  Romanko put up more goals per game in the NA than Burke and had two goals his first two college seasons. I wouldn't expect much from him this year.
                  Well, therefore the "maybe" in my post. They both had 32 goals in their final NAHL season (Burke played 6 more RS games). It's a mistake to throw all NAHL players in one basket based upon one player's past performance in D1. Everyone's game is different. Having originally been a SCSU recruit, Nathan Burke may be a better fit for Motzko's playbook. We'll see how he adapts along with the rest of the FR recruits. I hope he excels.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Thanks, Debbie.
                    Do you expect anything different at this point?
                    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                      Maybe some of the SCSU fans can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Motzko's offensive coaching style centers on aggressively storming the net. That's something we desperately need.
                      Depends on your definition of storming the net. I wouldn't describe the majority of goals by SCSU as "greasy" goals.
                      Originally posted by SJHovey
                      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                      Originally posted by Brenthoven
                      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                        Depends on your definition of storming the net. I wouldn't describe the majority of goals by SCSU as "greasy" goals.
                        Sold.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Following in their brother's footsteps. And they can do pullups.

Make it two more Mittelstadt brothers who plan to play for the Gophers men’s hockey team.

Eden Prairie’s John Mittelstadt, who’ll be a high school junior this fall, and Luke Mittelstadt, who’ll be a sophomore, both announced via Twitter on Sunday that they have committed to play for the Gophers. They follow in the footsteps of their brother, Casey, who spent the 2017-18 season with the Gophers before signing with the Buffalo Sabres, who made him a first-round draft pick in 2017.

John, 16, is a forward who had seven goals and nine assists in 26 games for the Eagles last season. Luke, 15, is a defenseman who played bantam hockey last season. He was named to the all-tournament team of the World Selects Invitational Under-15 World Championships after scoring two goals and assisting on four in six games for the Minnesota Blades. - Star Tribune
                          Since Bob Motzko was hired as coach, three players have done a "switcharoo" on their verbal commitments and joined the Gophers. Holy Family forward Garrett Pinoniemi, who will be a junior next season, switched from SCSU to the Gophers in May. Pinoniemi joins Blaine forward Bryce Brodzinski, who’ll be a senior next season, and forward Ben Meyers, a former Delano standout who played for the USHL champion Fargo Force last season. Meyers originally gave a verbal commitment to Nebraska Omaha.

Bryce, the youngest of the Brodzinski brothers decided to follow in the footsteps of his one brother rather than his father, uncle, and other brothers. He had previously committed to SCSU, where his oldest brother, Los Angeles Kings forward Jonny Brodzinski, played his college hockey, where another brother, Easton Brodzinski, still plays, and where father Mike Brodzinski and uncle Steve Brodzinski played in the 80’s.

However, Bryce decided to changed course and commit to the Gophers where his brother Michael, now of the San Jose Sharks played D. Both Jonny and Michael were fifth round picks of their current NHL organizations. Already there is talk about NHL potential, so it'll be interesting to see how Bryce develops. He and Jonny have similar high school stats and nearly identical sizes and playing styles.

Of course this means that there are some very disappointed SCSU fans on Twitter:

tommyboy@huskyhockeyguy May 21
                          Replying to @CenterIceClub @bbrodzyy

Motzko is proving to be a fraud. I guess the gentleman’s agreement only matters when you are at small SCSU. Motzko had me fooled..
                          Chris Becker@TheRabidOne3 May 21

Loyalty to Bob. Not to the school. Whatever. Move on and let Larson work. I just hate how Motzko now has ZERO problems poaching players. Sickening.
                          Kurt@remick712 May 22

Isn't he poaching his own recruits?
                          Lidy@mnhockeynut85 May 22

What you expect when the coach who recruited him went over to the darkside.
                          Chris Becker@TheRabidOne3 May 22

Are they his or are they SCSU's? That's the question. Do kids commit to a school just because of the coach? No. Also...Meyers wasn't "his" recruit. It's more that he has said publically he doesn't keep recruiting once kids have committed...now he's at MN and that's out the window

Comment

Dude just edit your post. Stop reposting it every 20 minutes.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

It is an edit.

EDIT:

Take a deep breath...
                              Last edited by SteveO; 06-28-2018, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Edits don’t reset the post time or reset notifications. It’s annoying.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X