Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

But he credits playing hockey at all to Minnesota. Doubtful he has a house in the land of no trees, so he knows which state is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      But he credits playing hockey at all to Minnesota. Doubtful he has a house in the land of no trees, so he knows which state is better.
      You're right, he did say it > HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
        "the land of no trees"
        Did the one die?

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
          You're right, he did say it > HERE
          Im done hijacking your thread to talk about a Washington kid who played at North Dakota, but it is funny to watch you guys try to claim Oshie. Enjoy the offseason.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            Im done hijacking your thread to talk about a Washington kid who played at North Dakota, but it is funny to watch you guys try to claim Oshie. Enjoy the offseason.
            They can have him, I don't want him. He's the main reason I don't want Washington to win the Cup.
            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Re: Gopher attendance I see where students can buy either a 'Game 1' or a 'Game 2' season ticket package for $99 each. I do not know how this compares to 2017-18, but to me it seems very reasonable.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Re: Gopher attendance I see where students can buy either a 'Game 1' or a 'Game 2' season ticket package for $99 each. I do not know how this compares to 2017-18, but to me it seems very reasonable.
                That's about $10/game. For someone like me, who has full-time employment, and isn't paying college tuition, it's quite cheap. For a student paying tuition, likely works around 25hrs/week, paying $99 up front can look like a serious amount of money. Whatever the U is trying to do here, it's still going to be seen as a significant roadblock by many students.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  That's about $10/game. For someone like me, who has full-time employment, and isn't paying college tuition, it's quite cheap. For a student paying tuition, likely works around 25hrs/week, paying $99 up front can look like a serious amount of money. Whatever the U is trying to do here, it's still going to be seen as a significant roadblock by many students.
                  Again, they sold out student tickets out as of a couple years ago. Price clearly isn't an issue for these students. Getting them to actually show up consistently once they've purchased tickets is the current challenge.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Price isn't an issue for *some* students.
                    "Hey dad, some of my friends are getting hockey tickets so I need $100 to get them too."
                    "OK, here's $100."

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume some of these students aren't really all that invested in using all of their tickets.

Make the majority of student tickets available for walk-up purchase at $5 a pop, first come first serve. I'd wager student attendance would increase and be more energetic.
                    Just my $.02
                    Last edited by Stauber1; 05-31-2018, 07:44 PM.

Comment

The escalating cost of tuition and and student fees is a growing concern for students and parents. The avg. indebtedness of undergraduates at the U after they finish their degree program is close to $30,000. It could be higher for some and varies depending on the college. Just the "course fee" for Carlson School of Management ranks among the highest at almost $600 in addition to some 20 other student fees, some of which are directly related to paying off the U's facilities debt whether you use these facilities or not.

Depending on the degree program, every student enrolled for more than 6 credit units at the U currently pay anywhere from $800-$1000 total in fees per semester in addition to their tuition or nearly two grand an academic year.

The current proposal on the table that Kaler and the Board of Regents are discussing is another tuition inc. of 2% for the coming academic year to cover salary benefits. Every 1 percent increase in resident tuition means another $3.4 million in revenue. Non-resident tuition will go up 15% (huge spike here) and student fees 1%.

The U is not entirely to blame for this, since Minnesota State Legislature funding has decreased over recent years and is below the US average educ. funding and the future does not look good (ARTICLE).

You mentioned in a recent post the "activities fee" was something like $17.XX per semester at SCSU. The student activities fee at the U is currently $18.54 per academic year or $9.27/semester. If they increase this by $10 to 19.27 per semester to cover the cost of student season tickets, students at the University of Minnesota can attend ALL sporting events for FREE throughout the academic year.

Regarding student season ticket no-shows, there are probably several factors at work here. If Mariucci averages 30% no-shows per game (% students?), perhaps the students don't like the atmosphere either.

With free student season tickets at SCSU, I'm curious if you have ever noticed or heard of a consistent problem of student no-shows over the years?
                      Last edited by SteveO; 06-01-2018, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                        With free student season tickets at SCSU, I'm curious if you have ever noticed or heard of a consistent problem of student no-shows over the years?
                        I'd say that the student sections at SCSU are somewhere between 50-80% filled for most Friday games. SCSU's challenge here, though, is that it's a commuter school. Most students leave St. Cloud for the weekend, going home to work because of depressed wages in the St. Cloud area compared to the Twin Cities.

SCSU also has an issue where the administration started cracking down on the students. When I was in school, the student section was raucous, and belligerent to opponents. The student sections would be packed, and we'd do what we could to get under a goalie's skin. During my freshman year, DU's senior goalie, Wallinheimo, used to bathe in it, almost luxuriating in it, and then played with the crowd. Most goalies tried to ignore it, probably because the Huskies weren't that good despite having both Matt Cullen and Mark Parrish as freshmen. The entire building would in turn get really loud, and with it the natural use of profane language by the low-level college students attracted to schools like SCSU. We unofficially called the one student section "the Dog Pound," lacking creativity and all, and the school eventually duped the kids into creating a student organization for it, sometime during the '00s. So now the admins had more ways of putting pressure on the students to behave. This has hurt Friday game student attendance from when I was there.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                          Price isn't an issue for *some* students.
                          "Hey dad, some of my friends are getting hockey tickets so I need $100 to get them too."
                          "OK, here's $100."

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume some of these students aren't really all that invested in using all of their tickets.

Make the majority of student tickets available for walk-up purchase at $5 a pop, first come first serve. I'd wager student attendance would increase and be more energetic.
                          Just my $.02
                          Not disagreeing with what you are saying, just sharing. If you go on Facebook there is a U of M ticket exchange for students. Every home series weekend there are students saying they have a ticket available for the hockey games for face value. With as tech savvy and kids are these days it's not difficult to just email over the ticket and print it off after PayPal/Venmo has been received or to just meet up on campus and hand off a paper copy. Students, even students without season tickets, can find their way to hockey games if they want to. It just seems like hockey isn't a big draw on campus right now.

And I agree with your point about parents paying for tickets, I'm sure that happens quite often.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            I'd say that the student sections at SCSU are somewhere between 50-80% filled for most Friday games. SCSU's challenge here, though, is that it's a commuter school. Most students leave St. Cloud for the weekend, going home to work because of depressed wages in the St. Cloud area compared to the Twin Cities.

SCSU also has an issue where the administration started cracking down on the students. When I was in school, the student section was raucous, and belligerent to opponents. The student sections would be packed, and we'd do what we could to get under a goalie's skin. During my freshman year, DU's senior goalie, Wallinheimo, used to bathe in it, almost luxuriating in it, and then played with the crowd. Most goalies tried to ignore it, probably because the Huskies weren't that good despite having both Matt Cullen and Mark Parrish as freshmen. The entire building would in turn get really loud, and with it the natural use of profane language by the low-level college students attracted to schools like SCSU. We unofficially called the one student section "the Dog Pound," lacking creativity and all, and the school eventually duped the kids into creating a student organization for it, sometime during the '00s. So now the admins had more ways of putting pressure on the students to behave. This has hurt Friday game student attendance from when I was there.
                            Free tickets at Kato are generally a good thing, but there are so many exceptions (Thanksgiving weekend games, winter break games, spring break games) that it’s hard to get a consistently strong student section. And as Clown mentioned, the admins have pretty much killed the rowdy old days. I think it’s wise for a school not to put too many eggs in the student attendance basket.

Comment

The one thing that all us Dr Obvious's have noticed is that with a new arena, the more restrictions are in place, as for fan behavior. Now, I cuss ALL the time. Not at a game for chants or taunts. No F-bombs or sh* or b* or anything like that. "Sucks?" Yep. Maybe a dam.

And I've almost gotten kicked out for using "sucks" (at UND, and no, it wasn't a MN series).

Once you go corpie, there is no turning back.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                The one thing that all us Dr Obvious's have noticed is that with a new arena, the more restrictions are in place, as for fan behavior. Now, I cuss ALL the time. Not at a game for chants or taunts. No F-bombs or sh* or b* or anything like that. "Sucks?" Yep. Maybe a dam.

And I've almost gotten kicked out for using "sucks" (at UND, and no, it wasn't a MN series).

Once you go corpie, there is no turning back.
                                SCSU stopped playing the school song prior to games because we clever SCSU students figured out that HUSKIES is seven letters, the same as F---YOU. So when it came to our own spelling bee of a school song, we made the adjustment. The school then made an adjustment by my junior year.

Comment

Working...
                                X