Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Cool Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Well, lots of question marks to be resolved this off-season. Who will be the new coach? Will CM stay another season? Who are the new recruits who can score? With Lindgren departing for the NY Rangers, what will the D look like for next season?

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Well, lots of question marks to be resolved this off-season. Who will be the new coach? Will CM stay another season? Who are the new recruits who can score? With Lindgren departing for the NY Rangers, what will the D look like for next season?
    SteveO, I wish I was smart enough to answer all your questions. Right now things are so much up in the air....
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    SteveO, I wish I was smart enough to answer all your questions. Right now things are so much up in the air....
    Indeed. If CM stays that will calm the storm a bit.

FWIW: Chris Johnston (NHL Network) reports that CM may not join the Sabres next season. Will make a final decision in the next couple days (reported by Nate Wells - March 24).

Big decision coming for Casey. Excellent article on the pros and cons of CM staying in college or bolting for the NHL or AHL > HERE

Lucia Apologist

Subscribed

Lucia Apologist

Adios Middlestadt
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Adios Middlestadt
    Hate to see him leave after just one year, but best of luck to the young man.
    http://www.startribune.com/casey-mit...alo/477939393/

and I like to Party

Is there any word on others that may be leaving early? Pitlick and Sheehy are the ones I'm really curious on.

Ranks down there as one of the least impactful stars in the history of the Gopher program.
    Go Gophers!

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by PhatKroger10 View Post
    Is there any word on others that may be leaving early? Pitlick and Sheehy are the ones I'm really curious on.
    Lucia.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Depends what you mean by impact. This team is like 30th in the PWR without him.

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    With a different coaching staff? You keep crying about how much the program needs a change (and I don't necessarily disagree with you) but if that change had been made one season earlier are so so freaking sure the regression and/or lack of improvement seen for so many wouldn't have materialized different the past season?

I for one do not expect any drop off in results next year and fact am very confident they make the tournament.
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 03-26-2018 at 06:32 PM.

He's gonna defend Casey's performance until he's blue in the face, but what 5mn said was accurate.

Wish him the best of luck in the NHL and hope he dominates.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    100% agree

No question CM had a huge impact on the ice. I'm curious, however, how his presence might have affected some of his teammates in the locker room. Not saying it was necessarily negative, but I wonder if the tremendous publicity (and in some cases overblown) hype he received could have affected some of other players? Would this be possible? You look at several of the players whose performance declined compared to the year before and wonder how this could be, given the sheer brilliance CM sometimes displayed in setting up his teammates.

I hate to dwell on this, but losing Lindgren and CM early just makes it more frustrating they didn't make it this year, and yes, frustrated with people who thought it best they didn't make it. Gotta take every shot you can. I was hoping CM would give it one more year. would have been fun to see how much he improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    I hate to dwell on this, but losing Lindgren and CM early just makes it more frustrating they didn't make it this year, and yes, frustrated with people who thought it best they didn't make it. Gotta take every shot you can. I was hoping CM would give it one more year. would have been fun to see how much he improved.
    The more I think about it, CM left because of the new coach (whoever he may be). He might have regressed due to a different system. I have not looked at/seen the contract, but I'm guessing he's getting the max. Why risk that by sub-par stats, or injury?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    No question CM had a huge impact on the ice. I'm curious, however, how his presence might have affected some of his teammates in the locker room. Not saying it was necessarily negative, but I wonder if the tremendous publicity (and in some cases overblown) hype he received could have affected some of other players? Would this be possible? You look at several of the players whose performance declined compared to the year before and wonder how this could be, given the sheer brilliance CM sometimes displayed in setting up his teammates.
    Good question. CM's presence did change the team dynamic from the season before. A few thoughts:

The Pitlick-Kloos-Sheehy line had excellent chemistry, outstanding point production and some exciting GWGs. Sheehy had a career year as a 20 goal scorer and the Big Ten Player of the Year. There was more scoring by committee than a focus on one outstanding player. The PP was very good under that team identity as well.

Enter 2017-18 and the celebrity spotlight is all over CM. And Captain Sheehy's numbers fall of a cliff (-51%), the lowest in his Gopher career. Lucia tried to balance the lines as much as possible, but the focus was clearly on CM last season. That changed the dynamic of the team from the season before and created a different identity on and off the ice.

Sometimes it difficult for teams to adjust and make room for a high profile player who is constantly in the media spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Sometimes it difficult for teams to adjust and make room for a high profile player who is constantly in the media spotlight.
    Similar thought process.....when we switched goalies. Maybe the team isn't gonna take that extra chance, they will defend a little more....why? Dunno about that goalie. Unfamiliar. With CM...ok offensive superstar rep, right? They might go a little more aggressive. It's really situational.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Lol. You guys are worried.

Thread Information