Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Regarding your, "right the ship" remark - this wasn't a last minute decision by Bell nor Motzko so I don't think it needs to be viewed as a sign that things are shaky in Dinkeytown is what I'm getting at.
    Apparently Bell was given some time to land on his feet somewhere. The good news is that this has given Motzko the time needed to bring in the best available replacement. If the decision has in fact been made, we should see an announcement soon.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Apparently Bell was given some time to land on his feet somewhere. The good news is that this has given Motzko the time needed to bring in the best available replacement. If the decision has in fact been made, we should see an announcement soon.
    Seems like Guentzel would be available. While you always want the best available, I wonder if not having an alum could limit recruiting to some degree, given you wouldn't have the guy to talk about how the MN legacy makes the Gophers THE team to play for if you are from MN? I never had a problem with hiring the last two head coaches based on them not being MN alums, but not sure I like the possibility of not having a single one on the staff.

Dammit, Gorilla!!
    Hometown: Plymouth, MN Currently: Champlin, M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    Seems like Guentzel would be available.
    Still on the payroll too if I'm not mistaken
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    Seems like Guentzel would be available. While you always want the best available, I wonder if not having an alum could limit recruiting to some degree, given you wouldn't have the guy to talk about how the MN legacy makes the Gophers THE team to play for if you are from MN? I never had a problem with hiring the last two head coaches based on them not being MN alums, but not sure I like the possibility of not having a single one on the staff.
    Motzko's about a month out from the Fall semester, so he's got a bit time to mull over the possibilities for a Gopher alum.

Not sure about their interest in the job, but a couple Gopher alum/asst coach candidates come to mind. Ken Gernander was the AHL Hartford Wolfpack head coach for years up until two seasons ago. The Coleraine, Minnesota native played for the Gophers from 1987-1991. He has a ton of coaching experience.

In the spring of 1987, after playing four seasons for the Gophers, Gernander left before graduating to begin an NHL career with the Winnipeg Jets. After 30 years, he went back recently and finished his degree at the University of Minnesota.

Cory Laylin is a St. Cloud native who played for Minnesota 1988 to 1992 and is currently the head coach of the Hamline Pipers. Prior to Hamline he was the head coach for two seasons of the Brookings Blizzard of the NAHL and was a Hamline assistant to Scott Bell for two seasons.
    Last edited by SteveO; 08-04-2018 at 09:19 AM.

Gophers land Ryan Johnson!

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Gophers land Ryan Johnson!
    Tell us about him. Is this Craig's kid?

Thread Information