Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Regarding your, "right the ship" remark - this wasn't a last minute decision by Bell nor Motzko so I don't think it needs to be viewed as a sign that things are shaky in Dinkeytown is what I'm getting at.
    Apparently Bell was given some time to land on his feet somewhere. The good news is that this has given Motzko the time needed to bring in the best available replacement. If the decision has in fact been made, we should see an announcement soon.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Apparently Bell was given some time to land on his feet somewhere. The good news is that this has given Motzko the time needed to bring in the best available replacement. If the decision has in fact been made, we should see an announcement soon.
      Seems like Guentzel would be available. While you always want the best available, I wonder if not having an alum could limit recruiting to some degree, given you wouldn't have the guy to talk about how the MN legacy makes the Gophers THE team to play for if you are from MN? I never had a problem with hiring the last two head coaches based on them not being MN alums, but not sure I like the possibility of not having a single one on the staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        Seems like Guentzel would be available.
        Still on the payroll too if I'm not mistaken
        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Seems like Guentzel would be available. While you always want the best available, I wonder if not having an alum could limit recruiting to some degree, given you wouldn't have the guy to talk about how the MN legacy makes the Gophers THE team to play for if you are from MN? I never had a problem with hiring the last two head coaches based on them not being MN alums, but not sure I like the possibility of not having a single one on the staff.
          Motzko's about a month out from the Fall semester, so he's got a bit time to mull over the possibilities for a Gopher alum.

Not sure about their interest in the job, but a couple Gopher alum/asst coach candidates come to mind. Ken Gernander was the AHL Hartford Wolfpack head coach for years up until two seasons ago. The Coleraine, Minnesota native played for the Gophers from 1987-1991. He has a ton of coaching experience.

In the spring of 1987, after playing four seasons for the Gophers, Gernander left before graduating to begin an NHL career with the Winnipeg Jets. After 30 years, he went back recently and finished his degree at the University of Minnesota.

Cory Laylin is a St. Cloud native who played for Minnesota 1988 to 1992 and is currently the head coach of the Hamline Pipers. Prior to Hamline he was the head coach for two seasons of the Brookings Blizzard of the NAHL and was a Hamline assistant to Scott Bell for two seasons.
          Last edited by SteveO; 08-04-2018, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Gophers land Ryan Johnson!

Comment

Gophers land Ryan Johnson!
              Tell us about him. Is this Craig's kid?

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                Tell us about him. Is this Craig's kid?
                He is and from what I understand he's a rink rat.

Comment

Haven't looked at GPL yet. Any confirmation from MN on Sampo Ranta to the Gophs? Didn't seem likely they would have any money to offer him.

Comment

Haven't looked at GPL yet. Any confirmation from MN on Sampo Ranta to the Gophs? Didn't seem likely they would have any money to offer him.
                    They just lost Hurley. It's an amazing swap by the new staff.

Comment

Delicious!!

Comment

Mother****ing hell. *sigh*
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

He is and from what I understand he's a rink rat.
                          Not to many kids that aren't at this level
                          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Minnesota has apparently taken advantage of a Wisconsin loss this week. Finnish forward Sampo Ranta was a third round pick of the Colorado Avalanche in the NHL Draft this past June and was set to be an incoming forward for the Badgers this fall. However, apparently there was some issue with an English as a Foreign Language test score and he was having trouble getting admitted to Wisconsin. He asked for and was released from his letter of intent as Todd Milewski of the Wisconsin State Journal reports.

While nothing has been officiall confirmed by the U, several tweets yesterday indicated that Ranta has decided he wants to stay and play in the Big Ten and will be enrolling at Minnesota instead - SB Nation
                            Mark Divver @MarkDivver

Sampo Ranta to Minnesota, per NCAA source

4:38 AM - 17 Aug 2018

Jess Myers @JessRMyers

Newest @GopherHockey commit is Sampo Ranta, a Finnish LW who had picked Wisconsin but allegedly had admissions trouble in Madison. Third-round @Avalanche draft pick.

5:00 AM - Aug 17, 2018

“There’s a lot of guys who can skate fast, but there’s a big difference between guys who can skate fast and make plays at that pace with the puck. If you watch a NHL game you see a player like Connor McDavid. He skates fast, but is just as fast, if not faster, with the puck. He plays the game at a high pace. I think that is something that Sampo does from when we’ve played against him.” – Anthony Noreen/Tri-City Storm head coach

Comment

This is a pleasant surprise. Very pleasant, indeed.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                              Twenty red lights in his honor
                              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                                This is a pleasant surprise. Very pleasant, indeed.
                                A welcome addition to the pack. He has a cannon too.

Ranta and McLaughlin will be the highest ranking incoming Gopher recruits among the Top 50 NA skaters (2018 Draft Prospect Rankings).
                                Last edited by SteveO; 08-19-2018, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X