Northeastern 2018 Off-season: Dog Day Afternoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DieHardDog View Post
    Gaudette has officially signed with Vancouver. Three-year entry-level contract.
    well, not unexpected for sure. he did what he had to.. gotta sign when your stock is hot.
    with a few adjustments to his gm, will do fine at the nxt level. all the best adam!

diff team for sure next year
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Re: Northeastern 2018 Off-season: Dog Day Afternoon

Congrats to everyone who signed NHL contracts. Happy to see them all play as Huskies the last few years. Good luck at the next level!

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
        Huskies31, a couple of posters have tried to reason with you but you insist to keep on about how this is the worst loss ever. Yeah, you wanted an NCAA win - who didn't? This team didn't miss by much. A few shots off posts, a goal called back on a debatable penalty call, stuff happens. This was, essentially, a One Line Team. How many times have you seen a OLT go deep in the tournament? The '12 BC Hayes Arnold Gaudreau team also had Kreider Dumoulin and Carey, NHLers all. This NU team just didn't have the depth. Other than the First Line, Davies and Primeau will see the NHL. Solow/Jozefek/Filipe started out as the #2 Line. In the last game, they were #4. The D as a group I liked (Cecere and Owens developed tremendously), but they had their limitations. If this team had the Forward depth that the 2016 team had, I would have expected more in the NCAAs. But seeing how this team was shut down in games at times this season, It was evident that playing in the Tournament would bring the kind of opponents that NU was not well suited to deal with. So, don't take this one too hard. It was fun while it lasted. Next year will probably be a step back in the standings but it will still be interesting.
        The other thing that might help is to avoid cupcakes that might in the long run make your team tougher and ready to play in big games. York mentioned that recently when asked about playing weak teams to make the NCAA this year. I was impressed by his answer in that to be the best you must play the best.

BC as a result had no OCC wins this year and that really put the nail in their coffin for the NCAA this post season.✅
        Last edited by BCeagle; 03-26-2018, 01:31 PM.
        NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
          The other thing that might help is to avoid cupcakes that might in the long run make your team tougher and ready to play in big games. York mentioned that recently when asked about playing weak teams to make the NCAA this year. I was impressed by his answer in that to be the best you must play the best.
          agree to an extent.
          re mich, we didn't get blown out.. it was a good game. we hit a few posts early & who knows what might have been. we missed an open net in the 3rd. we took just 1 penalty the whole gm i believe. we battled best we could. we battled you guys pretty well all season as well.
          the ncaa outing.. it was a close gm. our top forwards did not have their best night for sure. the better team won that night. that's the long & short of it.

heck notre dame lost to sacred heart during the season.. all those cupcake teams you speak of.. (with all the parity now).. the games are pretty darn competitive & lord forbid you don't show up to play.. end up on the short end of things for sure.
          GO NU HOCKEY
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

So all I said is that this was the most disappointed I have ever been. You guys don't have to agree, sounds like a lot of you guys are not that disappointed. I thought it was NU time to take that step, I guess the disappointment comes as that next year they will be back into the middle of the pack. I know that there recruiting is light years ahead of where it was 10 years ago, and they will be back. There are guys on this team who let them down, no dount. They counted on Felipe, Jozefek, and Griffen to be more and they weren't. Maybe they weren't as good as I thought they were, or hopped they were.

Comment

Huskies31, a couple of posters have tried to reason with you but you insist to keep on about how this is the worst loss ever. Yeah, you wanted an NCAA win - who didn't? This team didn't miss by much. A few shots off posts, a goal called back on a debatable penalty call, stuff happens. This was, essentially, a One Line Team. How many times have you seen a OLT go deep in the tournament? The '12 BC Hayes Arnold Gaudreau team also had Kreider Dumoulin and Carey, NHLers all. This NU team just didn't have the depth.it lasted..
              PPGuru,
              You made an accurate summary of our situation. Our guys had to deal with one of the 3 or 4 programs which sell themselves to recruits as NHL farm teams. Michigan has 12 draft picks and 6 or 7 players from the USNDT, conveniently located in Ann Arbor. They don't recruit. They select. They are unlikely to have to offer a scholarship to a player in the NAHL or USPHL to fill out their roster. They have practically unlimited resources available to train their teams. Yet our guys were able to hang with them in a game where UM was playing its best. We were a couple of posts and a questionable penalty call away from ending their season and getting to play another NHL farm team. The coaches deserve a ton of credit for getting the maximum effort from the players. If they looked a bit slow, it was because UM was a bit fast. They simply ran into a talented team that was hot as a pistol and had the advantage of being the home team (by .0004 in the Pairwise), which allowed them the luxury of matching up as they wished vs. our first line.

As for next year: This team was not stripped bare. We lost five players who made a difference. There will be others who will work to develop a credible power play under Jerry Keefe's (I hope) tutelage. Part of the reason for their lack of overall production was the fact that the second unit saw just 30-40 seconds of each powerplay, if it lasted past the first team's shift. They will get more ice time. There will be development. Guys like Felipe and Solow will/must improve. One or two of the freshman forwards will contribute. The freshmen Ds will certainly contribute, especially if Harris is accelerated. Defense and Goaltending will be the backbone of the team. That is preferable to needing to score five goals to win a game.

A new cycle will begin. I expect we'll be back to the Garden by 2020 and in the NC$$s by 2020 or 2021 at the latest.

Comment

Originally posted by huskies31 View Post
                So all I said is that this was the most disappointed I have ever been. You guys don't have to agree, sounds like a lot of you guys are not that disappointed...Maybe they weren't as good as I thought they were, or hoped they were.
                Oh trust me, I haven't been this bummed since the 2009 debacle where we, in effect, passed up a free ticket to the FF by shortening the bench way, way, too early and letting an inferior Cornell team come back from the dead. I can't say NU passed up a free ticket to the FF this time around since Michigan was a formidable opponent but if they got just a little puck luck and got to the final, the ratdogs were there for the taking...again, along with a ticket to the FF. Yup, the hockey gods still hate us.

But as others have pointed out, the program overall is in much better shape than it was at this point in 2009. For one thing, NU has an actual pipeline with some quality players in it. You raise some valid points in raising the names that you did but they'll either become leaders or be replaced. It's not like they're the only shows in town. The aftertaste to this weekend is still bitter but there are things to look forward to.
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

sorry, changing topic a bit, back to Gaudette..
                  assuming he starts thurs night.. how cool (and nerve wracking!).. your 1st game in the show is against some guy named Connor McDavid.. cant dream this stuff up

don't need much to get psyched for that one
                  have fun kid
                  GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post

BC as a result had no OCC wins this year and that really put the nail in their coffin for the NCAA this post season.✅
                    BCeagle, the OOC schedule didn't happen entirely by choice. To schedule 'Premier opponents' for OOC games, it helps if you are an attractive scheduling partner. BC and BU have a leg up on most of the other Hockey East teams in drawing the top Western Teams to come East. Factor in Notre Dame leaving HE and the necessity of finding more OOC games on comparatively short order and you get NU's OOC schedule. Hopefully, NU continues to have success and that translates into stronger OOC scheduling.

Comment

Factor in Notre Dame leaving HE and the necessity of finding more OOC games on comparatively short order and you get NU's OOC schedule.
                      Not disagreeing with anything else you said, but ND leaving HE made it got from all HE teams playing 22 league games to the unbalanced 24 game schedule, which shrunk the number of OOC games by 2.

Comment

For the record NU has St. Cloud coming soon, in another BC scheduling partnership like the Minnesota one. So thats one very top team on deck for the next 3 years. Quinnipiac is being replaced by another ECAC team with recent success. The RIT, SHU, AIC, and Bentley contracts of the world need to be reduced for sure, but we just started quite a few of them and I suspect we were caught off guard when the non-conference schedule was reduced and we had to suddenly fit them all in, an unfortunate overreaction to the years when the conference schedule suddenly reduced and we had to play non-conference games against Vermont and UMass. Hopefully we can pay our way out of some of the more silly return dates (we apparently agreed to play 2 at SHU which is absurd) or at least delay some things until Holy Cross inevitably joins Hockey East and we pick up 2 open games again.
                        Last edited by TheRevengeance; 03-26-2018, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                          For the record NU has St. Cloud coming soon, in another BC scheduling partnership like the Minnesota one. So thats one very top team on deck for the next 3 years. Quinnipiac is being replaced by another ECAC team with recent success. The RIT, SHU, AIC, and Bentley contracts of the world need to be reduced for sure, but we just started quite a few of them and I suspect we were caught off guard when the non-conference schedule was reduced and we had to suddenly fit them all in, an unfortunate overreaction to the years when the conference schedule suddenly reduced and we had to play non-conference games against Vermont and UMass. Hopefully we can pay our way out of some of the more silly return dates (we apparently agreed to play 2 at SHU which is absurd) or at least delay some things until Holy Cross inevitably joins t
                          Hockey East and we pick up 2 open games again.
                          until holy cross inevitably joins what?.. sorry i did not understand.. edit: holy cross joining h.e.?? wouldnt Q or Bentley be a better option..
                          Last edited by northeastern; 03-26-2018, 05:20 PM.
                          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Their women's team is already in Hockey East and Quinnipiac isn't walking through that door. It's just a matter of time imo.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                              Their women's team is already in Hockey East and Quinnipiac isn't walking through that door. It's just a matter of time imo.
                              .. their rink is a high school gym. literally. they avg 200-300 odd fans for gms. as i already input/edit last msg.. Q or Bentley would be much better options for H.E for dam (n) sure. Especially Bentley now with their new (smartly build) facility. Did not realize H.E was looking at Holy Cross.. wow
                              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

oh well.. we gotta worry about nu hockey.
                                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                                X