Northeastern 2018 Off-season: Dog Day Afternoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northeastern 2018 Off-season: Dog Day Afternoon

Well, the 2017-18 season was one for the books but now it's in the books and the time has come to think of 2018-19. Two unanswered questions for starters:
    • Among the players: Who stays and who goes?
    • Behind the bench: Does Jerry Keefe take the bait and become Head Coach at Merrimack?

Within HEA, BC and BU should be solid and UMass seems to be on the cusp of becoming a force to be reckoned with. And UML isn't going to let itself get accustomed to finishing out of the money. The rest, including NU???
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Re: Northeastern 2018 Off-season: Dog Day Afternoon

Gaudette is gone. I don't think there's reason for anyone else to be. Davies would be the closest but I don't see it. Moving on.

G- They lose Theut but Primeau is still incumbent obviously. Nobody is committed to replace him, I've heard some speculation Curtis Frye might come back in to take that spot. Curious whether they redshirt Ruck.

D - Davies and Shea are obviously the top returnees. Cecere and Owens are big losses. Cercere was good all year, but Trevor really stepped up in a big way his last semester. Big shoes to fill. Villella and Kislin will need to be able to play, at least in a bottom four/bottom pairing role from day 1. Williams needs to finally take a step forward into a bigger role, he's been in the same one since he got here in 2015. Wonder if Jordan Harris or Jeremie Bucheler make it in for this year? Kind of feels like they need one of them.

F- So we lose the big three. Hawkins is probably our best forward. He looked really good with Schultz and Lerario yesterday, but is that really a top line? Yeesh. Griffin, Solow, Filipe, Jozefek really need to step 1000 feet forward. Picking and Goldstein seem respectable for what they are. Looking at recruits, will Liam Pecararo ever play for NU? Time will tell. Tyler Madden has an NLI signed and looks like a stud in the USHL. Matt Thomson and Neil Shea are potential contributors. But Thomson didn't have a fantastic USHL season (18 points) and Shea was in prep all year. Are either ready right off the bat? Probably not. Next year was always going to be a step back on scoring, but even without a true top line they need to have 3+ solid lines to turn to. We shall see. There's a lot that needs improving between now and October first.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
      Gaudette is gone..
      is this 100% confirmed?.. if yes, best to him with Vancouver this remaining season & beyond. He will be missed.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

100%? No, he hasn't physically signed anything. 99%? Yes. There's no good reason to stay unless his performance yesterday has him thinking about "unfinished business".

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
          100%? No, he hasn't physically signed anything. 99%? Yes. There's no good reason to stay unless his performance yesterday has him thinking about "unfinished business".
          gotcha. was hoping they'd ask him to stay put his senior yr & get stronger, hone skills some more versus Utica or some place, but fully understand if he signs given the financials/ wanting to compete at nxt level immediately.. assuming what, 10 odd gms remaining for the Canucks.

much like r. donato, these guys can always come back finish the edu, i guess.. but there is a 'vesey' model as well. a good one.
          in any case, each situation is unique. best to him & hoping there is sliver he stays. (as well best to sikura, stevens & all the seniors); they will be missed. thx for the highlights, b'pot, h.e. championship & all.
          GO NU HOCKEY
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

also.. re. keefe (& the 'mack hc position).. i hope he stays but fully understand if opportunity to be hc presented itself. he is 100% qualified.
            if he does go.. can we get dennehy as assoc coach to madigan? he is very good & decent recruiting skills as well. merrimack had their reasons to let him go i guess.. but given what he had to work with, he did a fine job there. he would be an asset behind the nu bench if we lose keefe. just thinking out loud. (pls stay put, jerry).
            GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

I feel confident with Primeau and 4, 5 and 20 back that we're going to be a pretty good defensive team. Davies and Shea are going to have to control the play from the back end. As TheRev said Filipe, Solow, Griffin, Jozy all need to be a lot better and a lot more consistent. We've seen flashes from all of them, but as we know, their play has been way too inconsistent. Can Schultz and Lerario continue to improve? I think a guy like Schultz has the potential to put up Dalen Hedges-like production, but he's obviously not there yet. I liked Bobby Hampton at times this year and I'm excited to see what Tyler Madden can do. Overall, there's just a ton of question marks in the forward group. My first thought is that we're a middle of the road Hockey East team next year but that can obviously change depending on surprising departures or arrivals.
              2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
              2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Recap on the game. This wasn't easy to write. http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/ga...rn-wolverines/
                "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

As my 35+ years as being a Husky fan this is the most disappointed I have ever been. This was the best team they have had in 30 years, they were the best team in this regional they just didn't show up. Great season by 8,9,21, but they were no shows yesterday. Teams like this don't come around often at NU, needed to do more with it. They fizzled out, semi's against prov and then last night. I will be sick if BU wins today. I have stayed away from TV, last I saw Michigan was up 2-1.

Incoming players, I know that Madden is supposed to be legit, after that I have not heard a thing. I thought Harris was a '19.

Keefe, If I were him, I would hold out for a better shot, other than an Atlantic job, merrimack is the bottom of the pile.

I am still hopeful that Felipe can bounce back from a down year, hopefully Jozefek can stay healthy next year. Griffen has been a dud, hopefully he can have a good senior year. Davies is so legit I am nervous he gets pressure to sign. I like Shea, will take sometime for me to get past him not picking up man in front who scored the winner. Just skated next to him. I am not sold on Solow.

Real disappointed.

Comment

actually merrimack is hockey east, but i still hope keefe stays put. and respectfully, i think on paper we may have been a stronger team, but michigan proved their mettle on the ice yesterday. they were seeded higher for a reason. they had a game plan for our top forwards; & executed perfectly. they might be the best team this wknd from what i am seeing today (thus far).

nu did well to stay with 'em for 2.9 periods.. just ran out of gas towards the end.
                    and really?.. this is the most disappointed you've been as a husky fan? this past season..? in 30+ odd years..? c'mon, it didnt end as we had hoped, but program accomplished some things. got some (inconsequential, i know) hardware & may have a hobey banner before all is said & done. have faith, we've had manson, kevin roy, zach aston, benning, (all nhlers now) come through the program recently. hopefully more there with gaudette, sikura & this class.. there will be more players. they see that the coaches develop these kids. there will be more. and hopefully more successful memories as well. let's keep the faith.
                    GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                      Recap on the game. This wasn't easy to write. http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/ga...rn-wolverines/
                      nicely done. i agree with your take on the successful player development of recent. listed some familiar names in my last post as well. hopefully the staff can keep finding the 'right players for our program & we keep it going.
                      GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

we battled michigan tough through 3 periods, but they obviously came with a strong game plan. if only couple those bounces.. ugh.
                        no eastern team (ecac or hockey east) representation in the ff.
                        GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

The most disappointed LOL! Are you serious...how about the 88 collapse down the stretch after the Beanpot and Hockey East wins when Racine after NU handily won the 1st game v Merrimack in the NCAA's and was spotted a 3 goal lead and then gave it away in a 7 -3 loss and we bow out on goals allowed 10 to 7! Remember that, after winning 25 games! Ok NCAA 1994 that over time crapper that gave the eventual national champion Lake Superior State the win on a blown call at center ice. Remember that one. The OT loss on a few years back in the Beanpot when JM lost his mind on the bench! We got beat yesterday. Jim said we didn't play our best hockey in the post game but he said that the root cause our performance was Michigan. CP was our best player yesterday yet he still let in a bad goal (2nd). The bottom line is you can't let in any bad goals in the tournament, you need to be nearly perfect and it was still a close game even though we were pretty much outplayed. Also their top line was far better than ours and today it skated circles around BU's best line. Now on to the original question, AG is gone expect him to be wearing a Vancouver Jersey next week and with the graduation of NS and DS the question, who also signed to a pro contract, the question we have to ask ourselves is where are we going to find 130 +/- pts? Let's face it next year barring a miracle it's going to be alot more difficult as none of the underclassman on the team can produce like that top line, they simply don't have the talent...so we will have to see who arrives and changes my math.
                          Last edited by RossiRules; 03-25-2018, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
                            The most disappointed LOL! Are you serious...how about the 88 collapse down the stretch after the Beanpot and Hockey East wins when Racine after NU handily won the 1st game v Merrimack in the NCAA's and was spotted a 3 goal lead and then gave it away in a 7 -3 loss and we bow out on goals allowed 10 to 7! Remember that, after winning 25 games! Ok NCAA 1994 that over time crapper that gave the eventual national champion Lake Superior State the win on a blown call at center ice. Remember that one. The OT loss on a few years back in the Beanpot when JM lost his mind on the bench! We got beat yesterday. Jim said we didn't play our best hockey in the post game but he said that the root cause our performance was Michigan. CP was our best player yesterday yet he still let in a bad goal (2nd). The bottom line is you can't let in any bad goals in the tournament, you need to be nearly perfect and it was still a close game even though we were pretty much outplayed. Also their top line was far better than ours and today it skated circles around BU's best line. Now on to the original question, AG is gone expect him to be wearing a Vancouver Jersey next week and with the graduation of NS and DS the question, who also signed to a pro contract, the question we have to ask ourselves is where are we going to find 130 +/- pts? Let's face it next year barring a miracle it's going to be alot more difficult as none of the underclassman on the team can produce like that top line, they simply don't have the talent...so we will have to see who arrives and changes my math.

I said this was the most disappointed I was, I was 11 years old in 88. I was at game 1 in that series against merrimack. Lake Superior, I know there was a blown call. For me this is most disappointing cause these was the best team that they have had, 5 good dman, the top line in the country and a good goalie. Any of those other games that you bring up can you say that? 88 they had the goalie and they had good players, but not like this. The 15 beanpot was the most angry I have ever been after a game, but they had no business being in that game. I am talking about complete expectations, I was expecting a win and trip to final 4. I wasn't in 95, or in 15.

Comment

Next years team will not be the same obviously but the coaches have put us in a place to rebuild and be successful. We are not a program yet that can lose that kind of firepower and be the same next year. I bet coach gets some replacement players pretty quick. Gonna be a fun off season for sure.
                              These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X