Attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    Meh, "dump" is a bit of an overstatement, IMO. A bit frayed around the edges maybe but not a dump. Arena staff was surprisingly courteous and security, while there, was not over-the-top-in-your-face.

If I had to complain about something it would be the lack of hotels and watering holes within walking distance of the arena. (As it was, all of the close-by hotels were sold out.) Probably would have been a logistical nightmare if the field included a team with a big road following.
    Off the top of my head there are 5 major chain hotels in fairly close walking distance... now that does not change that they were sold out, but do the other alternative regional locations have more? I don’t think Manchester does. Providence maybe? Albany.. no idea.

Comment

Re: Attendance

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Albany is nice, too. The arena is fine and Pearl St. is right there with many quality eats and drinks. And they always have a street fair right in front of the place, where the school bands play and vendors abound. We always have a really fun time there
      Providence was always my favorite. Been to Albany, but providence can't be beat in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        It definitely needs an "upgrade." Why it wasn't done when they "renovated" it (adding the balcony) a few years ago I imagine has to do with financial considerations.
        A few years ago?? They added those balconies in 1989!

They did do some kind of renovation recently adding a bar area overlooking one end of the lower bowl, some fresh (yellow) paint and exterior facelift. It’s really the same looking building I remember going to Ice Cat games in the 90’s as a kid.

I personally think the place is a dump. It's dated, the seats aren’t comfortable, it was built for basketball and I don’t consider it great for hockey viewing. They have ugly curtains covering upper sections. Food options are bad. Last time I went for the regionals they turned ladies rooms into temporary men’s rooms (actually not a bad idea). The XL center and Dunkin Donuts are similar age wise with similar dated concourses, but they have better seating and views for hockey in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post

They did do some kind of renovation recently adding a bar area overlooking one end of the lower bowl, some fresh (yellow) paint and exterior facelift. It’s really the same looking building I remember going to Ice Cat games in the 90’s as a kid.

I personally think the place is a dump. It's dated, the seats aren’t comfortable, it was built for basketball and I don’t consider it great for hockey viewing. They have ugly curtains covering upper sections. Food options are bad. Last time I went for the regionals they turned ladies rooms into temporary men’s rooms (actually not a bad idea). The XL center and Dunkin Donuts are similar age wise with similar dated concourses, but they have better seating and views for hockey in my opinion.
          They redid the Providence building in 2008....I am all about Providence over Worcester every day. Manchester is a better building to watch hockey of course.
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
            They redid the Providence building in 2008....I am all about Providence over Worcester every day. Manchester is a better building to watch hockey of course.
            Manchester has no atmosphere for college hockey.

They could care less. They are mostly into marathon races.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
              When you're my age, 29 years is a "few years."

Comment

Yes, Worcester has always had a bathroom problem. The Men's room in the section below me had two urinals. For the size of the crowd, I thought that the available bars and restaurants were OK but certainly not great (though the best beer bar in Mass. is only a couple of blocks away, so I am biased). Worcester and Providence are similar time distances for me, so I am fine with either (assuming I get a vote).
                "What about my asthma?"
                "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Comment

Has a regional ever been hosted in Atlantic City? I know the ECAC tried hosting their tournament there. As a westerner, it would be a fun destination for a regional if UND ever got placed there. Capacity about 10.5 K

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...08cc.image.jpg

I think Indiana could also be a good host site for the midwest regional. It could actually be within driving distance for Michigan and Minnesota fans, and it is a new, smaller arena for a regional that has trouble with attendance. Capacity about 7.5 K

https://1mmbq819gfjidca44ex4ilea-wpe...ckets-fuel.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by nodak651 View Post
                    I think Indiana could also be a good host site for the midwest regional. It could actually be within driving distance for Michigan and Minnesota fans, and it is a new, smaller arena for a regional that has trouble with attendance. Capacity about 7.5 K

https://1mmbq819gfjidca44ex4ilea-wpe...ckets-fuel.jpg
                    Looks like a nice, steep arena so even in the back you're not too far from the ice.

Why do you think a team from Indianapolis would have the nickname of "Fuel?"

Comment

• Re: Attendance

Originally posted by nodak651 View Post
                      Has a regional ever been hosted in Atlantic City? I know the ECAC tried hosting their tournament there. As a westerner, it would be a fun destination for a regional if UND ever got placed there. Capacity about 10.5 K
                      The ECAC tourney in AC was a complete failure. The arena was a dump and there was next to no local support for it. I was there twice and both times the staff didn't even know there were hockey games being played there. Absolutely no hockey feel at all. The focus on gambling also made it not family-friendly.
                      Quinnipiac Bobcats
                      2023 National Champions
                      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                      Northeast Regional:
                      West Regional: 2015, 2021
                      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                        The ECAC tourney in AC was a complete failure. The arena was a dump and there was next to no local support for it. I was there twice and both times the staff didn't even know there were hockey games being played there. Absolutely no hockey feel at all...
                        This is a very important factor to keep in mind. Some level of local support and interest is going to be essential for a successful regional. If the event is counting on travelers to be 100% of the crowd, it is very likely to fall short of expectations, just as you describe.

Perhaps tournaments held within New England are an exception, due to the shorter driving distances. Perhaps. But in the rest of the country, regionals need to be held where college hockey is at least on the radar screen.

Comment

We went to Allentown this year and it was the first time I stepped foot into the PPL center. Very nice building and the atmosphere surrounding it was fine as well. My only complaint is that the amenities didn't accommodate the capacity of the crowd. Bathroom lines were long, not many urinals or stalls in either room that frequented, the food lines were long but at least they didn't run out of food like one venue I was at. But my biggest plus was the Tim Horton's. The line was as long as the drive thru lines when you go to one in Canada, but they moved you along fairly quickly. Also, the NCAA merch table only had like three choices of shirts available toward the middle of the second game on night one. Is this poor planning or do they only put out so much each night? Seems that they didn't think the draw would be as heavy?? As a Hershey Bears fan, I would throw my hat in the ring for the Giant Center. Good building for hockey, easily accessible from major roadways, 15 drive from Harrisburg airport, plenty of hotels and you would have local support as well due to the hockey community. I know that Penn State played two games there 2-3 years ago, and I believe they drew well.

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
                            ...As a Hershey Bears fan, I would throw my hat in the ring for the Giant Center. Good building for hockey, easily accessible from major roadways, 15 drive from Harrisburg airport, plenty of hotels and you would have local support as well due to the hockey community. I know that Penn State played two games there 2-3 years ago, and I believe they drew well.
                            A good idea that's worth pursuing, IMHO.

Even though I didn't quote it, I also appreciate your eyewitness account from Allentown.

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
                              Also, the NCAA merch table only had like three choices of shirts available toward the middle of the second game on night one. Is this poor planning or do they only put out so much each night? Seems that they didn't think the draw would be as heavy??
                              It looked like the Penn State fans bought up everything with a Penn State logo on it. I think they also bought up everything WITHOUT a Penn State logo on it. On Sunday, all the apparel was gone and the souvenir stand just had a guy selling programs.
                              "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

It’s a cult.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X