Attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance

Not sure what the prices for 2-day passes were elsewhere but I think they were $70 dollars at Bridgeport. This is at least within the realm of reasonable pricing, although I find $70 a bit too high for casual fans. I'm not sure what it cost to get in for just Saturday's ND/PC final. It would be nice if the NCAA (or is it NC$$) would reduce the required financial guarantee host institutions must pay to the NCAA, and they'd likely reduce ticket prices to maximize attendance. The more people in the building the more they make from parking and food and other trinkets.

From the TV shots, it did look like the buildings were all a little better than some regionals in the recent years. Perhaps the nadir was reached and we've seen an uptick as we've seen a steadier (if not completely healthy) economy.

One thing I'd like to see is all conferences go to a home ice format for their conference tournaments. You eliminate the travel required for half the fan bases to see their team play the weekend before the NCAAs and that alone may make people more willing to make a drive, spend a night at a hotel and all of the other costs associated with traveling to see yor team.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      I think the committee got it right this year by putting a premium on maximizing attendance and minimizing travel. Hockey has always been somewhat unique among the team sports because it is and always has been bifurcated along east-west lines. So what we got this year were two eastern regionals with mostly eastern teams and two western regionals with mostly western teams. I have no problem with that.
      As long as there are no intra-conference match-ups in the first round, this is acceptable. You do need to have a little good luck with the tournament field. But this year was a pretty good result.

Ironically the formation of the B1G Hockey Conference has made it somewhat easier to have West vs. West match-ups that are nevertheless contests between two conferences.

As for Allentown, the name of a regional is just a label. Despite the fact that it's in PA, it's as good a location for most of the Midwest teams if places like Cincinnati choose not to bid.
      I'm sorry, but I have to call you out on this. From the Upper Midwest, the drive to Allentown is 15-20 hours or more. It's a better situation from the Central States. But it's still 7-8 Hours from Columbus to Allentown; 10 hours from Ann Arbor.

If you want to say that having a Midwest Regional in Allentown was the lesser of the available evils, I can agree with that. I'll even go so far as to say it was the right call for 2018. But to suggest it's a "good" location for most Midwestern teams is extremely inaccurate, and quite frankly insulting.

For a comparison, note that my friends from Boston grumble about driving to Albany (3 Hours) and complain bitterly about driving to Buffalo. (8 Hours)

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
        Lots of local SO-CT "Irish" ethnically hockey fans as well. Myself included. The ND band was a treat to hear. Still hate the helmets.
        I hear people compliment the Irish band all the time, and I'm not sure I know why. Don't get me wrong, I think they're great, but as they are MY band I'm supposed to think they are great. What about them sets them apart? Frankly, I find most of the college bands great and love the atmosphere they provide. I hate it when a team in a regional or the FF doesn't bring a band, and I wish the NCAA would also provide dedicated transportation and per diem SPECIFICALLY for bands. All they require is space in the arena.

Comment

My biggest complaint about the attendance is when they put the games in a building that is too big for the crowd. 8,000 fans in a 10,000 rink isn't bad. If that rink holds 15,000+, or if you have 4,000-5,000 in a rink that holds 10,000, then there is no atmosphere at all. I was at both WCHA Championship games on campus this year and last and nothing beats a full building even though the crowds were less than 4,500 each time. They don't have to move the NCAA onto campus, just "right-size" the venue. In my opinion if you fill a 10,000 seat arena and turn 2,000 fans away that is a good thing. Better than 12,000 in an NHL rink.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
            I hear people compliment the Irish band all the time, and I'm not sure I know why. Don't get me wrong, I think they're great, but as they are MY band I'm supposed to think they are great. What about them sets them apart? Frankly, I find most of the college bands great and love the atmosphere they provide. I hate it when a team in a regional or the FF doesn't bring a band, and I wish the NCAA would also provide dedicated transportation and per diem SPECIFICALLY for bands. All they require is space in the arena.
            Another funny thing after reading the host handbook was that the NCAA only allows 25 free seats for band members per team. I think the big "football" schools just seem to have large and well prepared bands with identifiable fight songs. The bands in the northeast that I am used to hearing are smaller and a little more rough around the edges.
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
              After many years of embarrassment and disaster, it was really nice to see respectable crowds at each of the venues. But for the same reason, it's WAY too early to be declaring victory on this.

In Sioux Falls, the West seems to have found a neutral site that actually works. First time in a long time. No, Fargo does not count. Fargo worked financially. For neutrality, it was hypocrisy on steroids.

The other part of the 2018 package was three Eastern Regionals. For truth-in-advertising, Allentown probably should have been called the Mid-East Regional. Again, I'm grateful for this year's success. But having three Eastern Regionals on a permanent basis would definitely raise a fairness question.

Let's see what happens for the next couple of years before getting too excited. Maybe this really is the start of a new, positive trend for the regionals. Or maybe it's a one year aberration.
              If North Dakota would have made the tournament, Sioux Falls would have been Fargo on steroids since the Denny Sanford Center is twice the size of the Scheels Center. Fighting Hawk fans had bought up a lot (most) of the early tickets knowing if the Hawks made it, they would be in Sioux Falls. When they were eliminated a lot of tickets hit the secondary market.
              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                For a comparison, note that my friends from Boston grumble about driving to Albany (3 Hours) and complain bitterly about driving to Buffalo. (8 Hours)
                8 hours from Boston to Buffalo? Good lord, what are they driving a 1980 Chevy Chevette? ... Doing 70 mph on a 65 mph highway you can do Boston to Buffalo easily in 6 hours and 15 minutes. Even quicker if you don't mind going faster than that. I think your friends might need to learn how to drive!
                Last edited by Saints#1; 03-25-2018, 11:44 AM.
                St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                  8 hours from Boston to Buffalo? Good lord, what are they driving a 1980 Chevy Chevette? ... Doing 70 mph on a 65 mph highway youthrecan do Boston to Buffalo easily in 6 hours and 15 minutes. Even quicker if you don't mind going faster than that. I think your friends might need to learn how to drive!
                  Can't speak for pgb, but at my age there's no way I make it to Buffalo without two, maybe three, potty breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                    8 hours from Boston to Buffalo? Good lord, what are they driving a 1980 Chevy Chevette? ... Doing 70 mph on a 65 mph highway you can do Boston to Buffalo easily in 6 hours and 15 minutes. Even quicker if you don't mind going faster than that. I think your friends might need to learn how to drive!
                    He's probably driving MY car...

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                      Not sure what the prices for 2-day passes were elsewhere but I think they were $70 dollars at Bridgeport. This is at least within the realm of reasonable pricing, although I find $70 a bit too high for casual fans. I'm not sure what it cost to get in for just Saturday's ND/PC final. It would be nice if the NCAA (or is it NC$$) would reduce the required financial guarantee host institutions must pay to the NCAA, and they'd likely reduce ticket prices to maximize attendance. The more people in the building the more they make from parking and food and other trinkets.

From the TV shots, it did look like the buildings were all a little better than some regionals in the recent years. Perhaps the nadir was reached and we've seen an uptick as we've seen a steadier (if not completely healthy) economy.

One thing I'd like to see is all conferences go to a home ice format for their conference tournaments. You eliminate the travel required for half the fan bases to see their team play the weekend before the NCAAs and that alone may make people more willing to make a drive, spend a night at a hotel and all of the other costs associated with traveling to see yor team.
                      I looked online for ticket pricing at Bridgeport. It was $70 for a 2 day pass (not sure if that price was for all seats). If that was the case you were able to watch 2 games per day at $35, although you had to buy the package deal. I think that is a fair price to be in the building.
                      MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                      2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                        Only single seats are available according to NCAA.com
                        That will be quite the atmosphere, with over 19,000 in the building. Especially good, given that Minnesota, St. Cloud, Mankato and UND all won't be there. The closest team geographically will be Minnesota-Duluth, located about 150 miles north.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Hearing UND did a great job hosting in Sioux Falls. Hopefully, that will be a frequent site in the West Regional rotation. Are attendance figures based on tickets sold or scanned? Sioux fans bought a lot of tickets ahead of time knowing they would be there if they got in. Many still went, despite crummy weather and roads. Many sold on the secondary market especially to Mankato fans who went through their school allotment quickly. Heard that Sioux Falls youth hockey and the Big Brother/Big Sister programs were gifted tickets as well. I don't understand the complaints on this board about Fargo. True, it's only 75 miles from Grand Forks. But there must be teams out east that are closer than that to Bridgeport and Worcester. Especially Worcester.

Comment

Originally posted by hky View Post
                            But there must be teams out east that are closer than that to Bridgeport and Worcester. Especially Worcester.
                            There are. But here’s the difference. There are a billion schools here and none have anywhere near the fan base that North Dakota does. None are capable of selling out the arena by themselves. UND is. That’s the difference.

Comment

Lots of empty seats at Worcester,MA for a Regional Championship game. Maybe some other city should host.
                              MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                              2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                There are. But here’s the difference. There are a billion schools here and none have anywhere near the fan base that North Dakota does. None are capable of selling out the arena by themselves. UND is. That’s the difference.
                                Is the problem then that none of them are willing or able to host?

Comment

Working...
                                X