Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2018-2019

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    ........... What else was she to do, just sit out? I certainly don't think this will be a trend, though Clarkson kinda does it already.
    She could have enrolled in one of the CEGEP Quebec colleges. And another cheap shot taken at Clarkson. Never seen someone so jealous over the Knights 3 championships.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
      She could have enrolled in one of the CEGEP Quebec colleges. And another cheap shot taken at Clarkson. Never seen someone so jealous over the Knights 3 championships.
      Jealous...haha. UW has more NCAA's and always will (yes, those are fightin words). I just like poking the tiger once and awhile, look at it as a compliment. Clarkson is a force and is set to be so for a long time. I do regret rooting for you against the rodents in 2017. The rodents had given UW a hard time and UW swept Clarkson that year @ Clarkson, so I rooted for the Knights. I'm just thankful it's Clarkson and not BC.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Here’s the thing, Wisco do the same with their recruits maybe on an even more frequent basis but it is not talked about. I believe Emily Clark was held back a year although not sure about that. They did it with Shirley last year and there are likely very valid reasons for doing so but this practice is not isolated to Clarkson. There are very few French speaking players leaving CÉGEP in Quebec to make their way to the US to play. They prefer staying closer to home and Clarkson has become an interesting option for some but not many. I have no issues with this practice as long as rules are being followed. It makes for a better product on the ice and we saw excellent hockey at the Frozen Four so something is working.

Comment

Both the Canadian Olympic team and the Badger's have had "Drive for Five" campaigns in the past couple of years or so. Methinks they need a new slogan. How about, "Let's just try to do better next time."
          It would be kind of funny if Clarkson did beat the Badgers to five. Not that I'd want that or anything, because it would not bode well for my favorite cute little rodent's team.

http://www.dailycardinal.com/article...-teams-players
          https://www.reuters.com/article/us-o...-idUSKBN1FR0OJ
          Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-28-2018, 08:29 PM. Reason: Eight Would Be Great!
          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
            I believe Emily Clark was held back a year although not sure about that.
            Clark was born on Nov 28, 1995. Her first season at Wisconsin was the 2014-2015 season. That means she turned 19 in the middle of her freshman year. In my experience, that is utterly usual, whether the freshman in question plays hockey or not.
            Last edited by robertearle; 03-28-2018, 08:26 PM.

Comment

As for Shirley and her NCAA eligibility, this article describes the process and restrictions, etc. It is the same thing that allows male players to play for teams like (the only two I can name) the Green Bay Gamblers and the Madison Capitals while retaining NCAA eligibility. Also how NCAA baseball players can play in the 'summer leagues' and retain eligibility.

https://www.theicegarden.com/2017/8/...algary-inferno

Comment

I think the situation is a fluky one. If we knew why she didn't come last year, I'm sure it would make sense. What else was she to do, just sit out? I certainly don't think this will be a trend, though Clarkson kinda does it already.
                She could have taken classes at UM-Madison similar to what Amy Potomak did, and take a redshirt. They ARE student athletes are they not?

BTW, Sarah Potomak, a true freshman, ended your season and put BC down 1 with how many seconds elapsed in the championship game? 13 I think it was
                I'll spare you the video.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                  As for Shirley and her NCAA eligibility, this article describes the process and restrictions, etc. It is the same thing that allows male players to play for teams like (the only two I can name) the Green Bay Gamblers and the Madison Capitals while retaining NCAA eligibility. Also how NCAA baseball players can play in the 'summer leagues' and retain eligibility.

https://www.theicegarden.com/2017/8/...algary-inferno
                  I hope you have that bookmarked, because you are going to have to refer to that for at least the next four years

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    I hope you have that bookmarked, because you are going to have to refer to that for at least the next four years
                    Don't believe it will matter if she is not an impact player.

Comment

Don't believe it will matter if she is not an impact player.
                      Surely Shirley will be a PK finalist at some point.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Surely Shirley will be a PK finalist at some point.
                        So we can call her Shirley?
                        Last edited by joecct; 03-29-2018, 01:15 PM.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Do we can call her Shirley?
                          I am serious.

Comment

Clark was born on Nov 28, 1995. Her first season at Wisconsin was the 2014-2015 season. That means she turned 19 in the middle of her freshman year. In my experience, that is utterly usual, whether the freshman in question plays hockey or not.
                            Thanks. Late 95. I would guess that +90% of freshmen that year were born in 1996. It doesn’t matter. The only reason I picked up on this is because I think she is the best player in the NCAA. I love watching her play and hopefully next year she gets recognized a little more. She plays both ends of the ice and makes anyone who plays with her a better player.

Comment

Thanks. Late 95. I would guess that +90% of freshmen that year were born in 1996.
                              I pulled up the list of freshmen on the WCHA stats page for 2014-15, intending to look them all up. But the farther down the list I went, the harder it got to find birthdates. So I quit after 25.

2 born in '94, 9 born in '95, 10 born in '96, and 4 that I couldn't (easily) find.

I don't know about other people and other places, but when I was a kid growing up in Wisconsin, 'standard procedure' was that the cut-off was during the summer; kids born after maybe July or so would start school later and be the oldest kids in class, while kids born before July would go earlier and be the youngest kids in class. So you might expect 50% or maybe a little more to be born in the 'next' year, and 50% or a little less to be born in the earlier year. Much like Clark, I was born in mid-December, and turned 18 as a senior in HS. As far as I know, that is utterly normal.
                              Last edited by robertearle; 03-29-2018, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I pulled up the list of freshmen on the WCHA stats page for 2014-15, intending to look them all up. But the farther down the list I went, the harder it got to find birthdates. So I quit after 25.

2 born in '94, 9 born in '95, 10 born in '96, and 4 that I couldn't (easily) find.

I don't know about other people and other places, but when I was a kid growing up in Wisconsin, 'standard procedure' was that the cut-off was during the summer; kids born after maybe July or so would start school later and be the oldest kids in class, while kids born before July would go earlier and be the youngest kids in class. So you might expect 50% or maybe a little more to be born in the 'next' year, and 50% or a little less to be born in the earlier year. Much like Clark, I was born in mid-December, and turned 18 as a senior in HS. As far as I know, that is utterly normal.
                                I think typical is starting college at anywhere from 17 years 8 months, to about 19 years. Multiple provinces in Canada, maybe the whole country, use calendar year cutoffs so a December birthdate, you would start Kindergarten at age 4 and 8 months. Ontario used to have grade 13 which made for older freshmen but ended it in I think 2003. So typically, it’s just the Quebec kids that would be older.

Comment

Working...
                                X