Wisconsin Badgers 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2018-2019

I think shelfit makes some very good points but there's another thought. Imagine if you will where you have a VERY young girl who verbals to the college she's dreamed of playing for and for the next several years she's walking on air that her dream is realized. But guess what? College coaches are looking at new prospects ALL THE TIME and by the time said young lady is old enough for that NLI she finds said coach has found a better catch and the interest for this girl is no longer there and she's left crushed. Or there's been a coaching change and interest in this girl left with the old coach. This does happen so I would agree that by only to be able to be in the pipeline at a later age may minimize this scenario.
    Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 11-14-2018, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Early verbals.....I can only speak for UW, but the fear of verballing then getting dumped seems overblown at least from a UW perspective. There's an awesome spreadsheet for the UW women's recruits that lists all the verbals 4 years out and I don't recall any player who has verballed (therefore on the list) not ending up on the team, unless there was an occasional issue getting into school which neither side would confirm. Johnson also runs a lean roster. Next year he has 12 F and 7 D on the team, the following year 12 F and 6 D. Yes, he does have a glut of G's - 4 on the roster now, but Soup was someone they always liked and when the sue locked the doors, they brought her in. What's the harm in verballing early? I don't think many 8th graders know where they want to go to school 5 years later, but these are not typical kids, they are driven, goal orientated kids, it kinda makes sense for them to be working outside the box of a typical 8th grader.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

It amazes me that coaches can tell who’s going to be good by 8th grade. Seems like a risk on both sides, but obviously it works out. Are there many kids that don’t verbally commit until 11th grade anymore?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
          It amazes me that coaches can tell who’s going to be good by 8th grade. Seems like a risk on both sides, but obviously it works out. Are there many kids that don’t verbally commit until 11th grade anymore?
          Lock em up so a competitor can't get them. Somewhere along the line the kid looks and sees 20 commitments for 5 open scholarship slots. Then the shuffle board starts.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
            Are there many kids that don’t verbally commit until 11th grade anymore?
            I would think that the European kids will decide later, but I don't know what age is typical.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Looks like the chart is off a year as Kaitlyn Kotlowski signed her LOI today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Looks like the chart is off a year as Kaitlyn Kotlowski signed her LOI today.
                Yeah, that one caught me off guard. I will update it in the morning.
                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  Early verbals.....I can only speak for UW, but the fear of verballing then getting dumped seems overblown at least from a UW perspective. There's an awesome spreadsheet for the UW women's recruits that lists all the verbals 4 years out and I don't recall any player who has verballed (therefore on the list) not ending up on the team, unless there was an occasional issue getting into school which neither side would confirm. Johnson also runs a lean roster. Next year he has 12 F and 7 D on the team, the following year 12 F and 6 D. Yes, he does have a glut of G's - 4 on the roster now, but Soup was someone they always liked and when the sue locked the doors, they brought her in. What's the harm in verballing early? I don't think many 8th graders know where they want to go to school 5 years later, but these are not typical kids, they are driven, goal orientated kids, it kinda makes sense for them to be working outside the box of a typical 8th grader.
                  Elite programs like UW, MN, BC, etc attract elite talent and even if they “dropped” a prospect, chances are that player would find another spot. But I personally know of a handful of girls (over the course of the last 5-6 years or so) who didn’t end up attending the school they originally committed to- either due to grades, sudden head coaching change, and, in one case, questionable behavior (social media can be a killer!) so it does happen, just not often at places like UW.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                    Elite programs like UW, MN, BC, etc attract elite talent and even if they “dropped” a prospect, chances are that player would find another spot. But I personally know of a handful of girls (over the course of the last 5-6 years or so) who didn’t end up attending the school they originally committed to- either due to grades, sudden head coaching change, and, in one case, questionable behavior (social media can be a killer!) so it does happen, just not often at places like UW.
                    I can see it happening at the non elite schools. A girl as you describe does get dropped by an elite school, then where they end up probably pushes another player out the door. That being said, I still think that coaches being unloyal to players who committed to them isn't as big of an issue as people think.

Chayla Edwards is on board with the LOI, just missing Grant and Greig now at least from what I have seen on twitter. And not every player is on twitter tweeting they signed their LOI, there's no reason to doubt they are not coming next year. I guy just feels a whole lot better when they do sign on the dotted line.

Comment

I'm not trying to be a critic and I'm certainly not implying there's anything wrong with Wisconsin recruiting but there is an overall problem with coaches going after the youngest girls and that's why the NCAA is going to try some changes. Also let's not be tunnel visioned on the hockey part of it and remember it's the education that's the true goal of going to college.
                      As the parent of a former collegiate athlete I can say with a high degree of certainty that a 14 year old is not firmly committed to their future path in life or decided on a career field.
                      There is a lot of factors that go into that part of the decision and until you know what your field of choice is you won't know if the school that offered to you even offers that degree or that their program in whatever that field is will give you a diploma that will give you a step up above the other thousands graduating across the country with degrees in that same field.
                      This is another reason that I personally feel that a no contact or even a verbal until the junior year of high school is a good thing as a clearer and better informed choice can be made by the young lady on her educational needs and desires than she would be capable of making several years earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                        I'm not trying to be a critic and I'm certainly not implying there's anything wrong with Wisconsin recruiting but there is an overall problem with coaches going after the youngest girls and that's why the NCAA is going to try some changes. Also let's not be tunnel visioned on the hockey part of it and remember it's the education that's the true goal of going to college.
                        As the parent of a former collegiate athlete I can say with a high degree of certainty that a 14 year old is not firmly committed to their future path in life or decided on a career field.
                        There is a lot of factors that go into that part of the decision and until you know what your field of choice is you won't know if the school that offered to you even offers that degree or that their program in whatever that field is will give you a diploma that will give you a step up above the other thousands graduating across the country with degrees in that same field.
                        This is another reason that I personally feel that a no contact or even a verbal until the junior year of high school is a good thing as a clearer and better informed choice can be made by the young lady on her educational needs and desires than she would be capable of making several years earlier.
                        At 14, you would expect the parents to be providing the daughter with sound advice and guidance. She can always change her mind later however it is their choice. My daughter committed when she was 15 and it worked out just fine for her as it did for many of her friends and former teammates.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                          At 14, you would expect the parents to be providing the daughter with sound advice and guidance. She can always change her mind later however it is their choice. My daughter committed when she was 15 and it worked out just fine for her as it did for many of her friends and former teammates.
                          I am glad it worked out for your daughter and her friends but there are many that the current way did not work out for.
                          I think the NCAA has a handle on the bigger picture and will attempt to do the right thing. Question remains what will the "RIGHT" thing be?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                            I am glad it worked out for your daughter and her friends but there are many that the current way did not work out for.
                            I think the NCAA has a handle on the bigger picture and will attempt to do the right thing. Question remains what will the "RIGHT" thing be?
                            Having just gone through the entire process, I agree that the early verbal issue is something to be discussed. However, I think the 9/1 of Junior year is a year late as it doesn't give players much time to get to know coaches and schools, nor does it give the schools much time to know if their targets will accept and then move on to the next target if necessary. It seems unnecessarily compressed under the new rules. Additionally, in hockey, you have players coming from all over North American (and Europe) to essentially the northeast/Midwest US. Its not always easy to work in those trips during a single hockey season to check out schools. It took us a couple of years to visit schools while working trips in around tournaments etc.

Comment

For those who don't already know, Emily Clark played tonight.

One might argue that she looked a little rusty, etc. But she played, and I didn't notice her taking any shifts off or anything like that. Good news.

(The 4th line played a bunch, but that had to do with the score, and the quick turnaround to a 2 PM start tomorrow.)

Comment

That was pretty much exactly what Wisconsin games against Bemidji State tend to look like.

Comment

Working...
                                X