Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2018-2019

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
    Having seen several games officiated by Eastern stripes I have to strongly disagree with your assessment.
    It was so bad that I ran into Greg Sheppard the other day & apologized to him
    Come on, they are worse out east? That's hard to imagine.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Come on, they are worse out east? That's hard to imagine.
      The only more inexplicable calling I have ever seen is for international games.
      Obvious penalties (even 1 or 2 committed by the good kids - hard to believe I know cuz they just never do wrong) in full view of gawd & ev'rebody are left uncalled & then some phantom call is made. It was just weird. 4 games and they were consistently obtuse.

The only - ONLY - thing that can be said is that they do call an equal number of penalties. Which really is only good if you assume equally fair play.
      Last edited by ne7minder; 12-15-2018, 04:57 PM. Reason: the positive spin t the end

Comment

I don't remember exactly which year it was, but a few years go, there was a sudden improvement in women's WCHA officiating.

They'd usually do their best, but there used to be a fairly large chunk of games (a quarter to a third, realistically) where they most certainly were not. I'm talking about the games where plenty of obvious infractions would happen and none of them would be called. I'm talking about plays someone lands a big punch to the head of an opponent, with the ref staring right at it (and no other obstructions/distractions). Those kinds of violent things. Or players getting blatantly bear-hugged as they beat the opponents across the blue line - not as physically dangerous, but insanely obvious.

I remember noticing that that nonsense suddenly stopped one year (we saw a few new combos of referees, too). They're far from perfect, but at least I can count on them looking like they're giving an honest effort and performing at a level that I'd realistically expect of women's college hockey referees.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
          I don't remember exactly which year it was, but a few years go, there was a sudden improvement in women's WCHA officiating.

I remember noticing that that nonsense suddenly stopped one year (we saw a few new combos of referees, too). They're far from perfect, but at least I can count on them looking like they're giving an honest effort and performing at a level that I'd realistically expect of women's college hockey referees.
          Yep. Mostly kidding but, the year when officiating may have gotten better might have been 2015 when Kristine Langely Morrison first started refereeing men's games. My problem with her was mostly that penalties she would ignore for 2 periods would suddenly be called in the 3rd period when she would pretty much take over the game with her whistle.

Since it's Sunday, I'll just say that referees like the poor (Mathew 26.11) "you will always have with you." Without them, it would be worse, I guess.
          Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 12-16-2018, 12:53 PM. Reason: Why does Ludwig always look so bored on the ice?
          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...fa74b6529.html

Comment

The way she is playing right now, yes I can see her going #1 oal. I was excited to see Shaver go where she did and rather bummed Clark went when she did.

Comment

I was excited to see Shaver go where she did and rather bummed Clark went when she did.
                For Clark, I'm sure it is more a matter of distance from Saskatoon or plans after graduation than talent. I imagine they have some conversation with prospects asking what they plan to do next year. Given they can't offer life-changing money, there is a limit to how drastically these women can change their lives.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  Given they can't offer life-changing money, there is a limit to how drastically these women can change their lives.
                  I am curious to see how well Amanda Kessel's clothing line sells. If it is successful, you may just see a line of leather helmets for sale on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                    you may just see a line of leather helmets for sale on the internet.
                    If they have that distressed, vintage look, something like what these folks have done, it could work...

https://silodrome.com/distressed-hel...y-dig-the-lid/
                    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

For Clark, I'm sure it is more a matter of distance from Saskatoon or plans after graduation than talent. I imagine they have some conversation with prospects asking what they plan to do next year. Given they can't offer life-changing money, there is a limit to how drastically these women can change their lives.
                      Right, this post college hockey deal is just basically a hobby for most and some live action to keep Olympic hopefuls sharp.

Comment

The U18's will be playing soon....There are 5 future Badgers playing. US has Webster, O'Brien and Harvey, Canadians have Wheeler and Grant. Grant is coming next year, Wheeler, O'Brien and Webster the next, and Harvey the following year.

Wheeler, O'Brien and Webster will be replacing Roque, Norby and Mauermann. That is quite the trade. Won't miss a beat.

Comment

Well, there's hockey this weekend, a tough match-up at OSU. It sucks OSU played last weekend and UW did not, that is certainly to OSU's advantage (it sure hurt the UW men last weekend). Anyway, MJ will have the team ready to roll, boy I sure wish I could watch the game, may have to give FLo or BTN plus a look Friday. Saturday it's not in the cards for me to see the game.

Also sucks there are only 6 home games left, I'd like UW to try and back load the home schedule next year. The last 2 seasons after the new year have been thin for homes games. Maybe FLo will soften the blow, though nothing beats being there.

Comment

Also sucks there are only 6 home games left, I'd like UW to try and back load the home schedule next year. The last 2 seasons after the new year have been thin for homes games. Maybe FLo will soften the blow, though nothing beats being there.
                            That means that you're playing half of your remaining games at home, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                              That means that you're playing half of your remaining games at home, just like everyone else.
                              Not quite - six of 14. UW fans were spoiled when they started the season playing seven of nine series at home, so this might seem like a drought.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Not quite - six of 14. UW fans were spoiled when they started the season playing seven of nine series at home, so this might seem like a drought.
                                Right, it just needs to be evened out more.

Comment

Working...
                                X