Up next, 19U Tier 1 Nationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Up next, 19U Tier 1 Nationals

i have less of an issue with Minnesota not going to Nationals then i do with USA hockey awarding them a tournament if they only support the concept of a National Championship if it is convenient. I was told many years ago that NAHA could not play as they don't follow USA hockey rules. not sure if still valid.

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
      This is a valid point!
      While I think it’s generally true that elite MN girls don’t “have to” go to big national tournaments to get scouted, many of the girls/parents that my daughter plays with off season have said what a great opportunity it is to play teams from all over the country & Canada throughout the season. They seem to get kind of “bored” playing the same teams/players over & over. So it goes both ways. Grass is always greener!

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
        While I think it’s generally true that elite MN girls don’t “have to” go to big national tournaments to get scouted, many of the girls/parents that my daughter plays with off season have said what a great opportunity it is to play teams from all over the country & Canada throughout the season. They seem to get kind of “bored” playing the same teams/players over & over. So it goes both ways. Grass is always greener!
        Agreed! I was speaking more specifically of the National Tournament and not having to pay for the travel, time away from school, etc... My daughter always got bored playing the same team over-and-over because they were close and convenient. It does, however, make for some interesting games when you get to 3 or 4 games deep in the "series". Girls get catty!

Comment

If the BK selects are elgible it would reason to have NAHA also be elgible. But, maybe Selects got a hold of a Tier One charter.

Comment

Looking at myhockeyrankings.com I see that the top four teams are Shattuck, Boston Jr. Eagles, Belle Tire and East Coast Wizards. I assume they are the top seeds in pool play and have to be the favorites to win it all. I wish I were savvy enough to create a poll to see who the group feels will be eventual champion, but I'm not. So, I'll just put it out there for reply. Who's going to win the title? One of these four teams, or will a dark-horse get hot and take it all?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
              Typical MN hockey parent (I've met a lot of them!). But in reality, they are largely correct - the scouts all go to MN and they can be seen there so they don't have to go to Nationals for that. That being said, the scouts all go to the New England prep school and club tournaments and they send teams to Nationals. There is something to be said for the thrill of winning a national championship and the level of play is generally very high (higher than MN HS hockey, but the MN Elite league is comparable or Nationals).
              There is another reason not to go if you are from MN. Typically they play for a high school team and while some of those teams are very good (Edina had 7 D-I recruits last year & 9 this year) they are not eliet from top to bottom. To compete they would really have to throw together an all-star team who would then be playing against similar talent playing with the team that they have played with all year (and maybe more than just a year).

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                There is another reason not to go if you are from MN. Typically they play for a high school team and while some of those teams are very good (Edina had 7 D-I recruits last year & 9 this year) they are not eliet from top to bottom. To compete they would really have to throw together an all-star team who would then be playing against similar talent playing with the team that they have played with all year (and maybe more than just a year).
                isn't that what the Minnesota Elite Red, Black and White teams are? Elite teams?

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                  isn't that what the Minnesota Elite Red, Black and White teams are? Elite teams?
                  What's in a name? I would say a more accurate description would be "temporary all star teams, mostly from the Twin Cities".
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    What's in a name? I would say a more accurate description would be "temporary all star teams, mostly from the Twin Cities".
                    Try fitting that on the front of a jersey!

Comment

I would say say that these "temporary all star teams" are only formal in design as they have rosters that are generally fixed unless they are short players in the MN elite league. Then they occasionally have players play with other teams if they are short. These teams are "coached" only in the sense that they have a coach on the bench. No practices, no systems, no PP or PK. Just get out there and play. They do have positions but a lot of the time they might need an extra F and a D will play or vice versa.

In 2016 the National Tourney was here so there was a more formal roster system with teams having to log players total games played before the HS season and after as there is some formal # of games needed to be played.

https://nationals.usahockey.com/page...6-girls-tier-i

There were 2 U16 and 3 U19 teams that entered the tourney. Elite Sky played SSM in the final for U16 (lost 2-1) and Elite Black played SSM (lost 2-1 OT). All 3 teams from MN were in the same side of bracket at U19 and White lost to Red in quarters who lost to Black in semis.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
                        Looking at myhockeyrankings.com I see that the top four teams are Shattuck, Boston Jr. Eagles, Belle Tire and East Coast Wizards. I assume they are the top seeds in pool play and have to be the favorites to win it all. I wish I were savvy enough to create a poll to see who the group feels will be eventual champion, but I'm not. So, I'll just put it out there for reply. Who's going to win the title? One of these four teams, or will a dark-horse get hot and take it all?
                        Nobody should bet against SSM winning this for a 3rd year in a row, but the top 5 teams (SSM, BT, ECW, Mission and BJE) are capable/strong enough to go all the way. After the top 5, there isn't a dark horse that can get through 3 playoff games now that quarterfinals are back in the tournament.

Comment

so back to my point...why was the National tournament in Minnesota if they had never travelled anywhere to play and only played then because it was convenient. Once again, i don't care what Minnesota does, my question is why would USA hockey put Nationals in Minnesota without them ever playing in Nationals?

Comment

so back to my point...why was the National tournament in Minnesota if they had never travelled anywhere to play and only played then because it was convenient. Once again, i don't care what Minnesota does, my question is why would USA hockey put Nationals in Minnesota without them ever playing in Nationals?
                            Are you mixing up the high school vs. the Tier I and Tier II nationals? They are separate tournaments broken down here:

https://nationals.usahockey.com/2018
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              Are you mixing up the high school vs. the Tier I and Tier II nationals? They are separate tournaments broken down here:

https://nationals.usahockey.com/2018
                              I think the poster is referring to 2016 which is mentioned by used2lurk in post #25.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Shattuck has always participated in the national tournament, even if many of the high school players weren't interested, so it isn't like Minnesota as a whole ignores it in other seasons.

Many large tournaments in both hockey and soccer wind up at the National Sports Center, just because they have a facility that was designed to handle such events.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X