Up next, 19U Tier 1 Nationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up next, 19U Tier 1 Nationals

All the scouts will be headed to Boston in 10 days to find the next fit for their teams. I'm certain at some point you have all seen the tournament, so you know how exciting it can be. I know this is a college board but with no hockey left at that level, these girls are next years incoming class. The favorite is probably Shattuck as they were number one from start to finish this season. Their roster is chock full of D1 commitments from top to bottom. It's hard to know how good the Boston Eagles will be as they had some impressive wins early on but don't play together after the new year. They list a dozen or so D1 commitments so certainly they are talented. Belle Tire is the defending 16U National Champions the basically moved up as a team to 19U and are continuing to have success. They were kind of a surprise last season but continue built on that and are certainly a threat to win again. Their roster shows that most of the team will be playing in the NCAA in the next two years split between D1 and D3. The East Coast Wizards are a team that has commitments for at least half the team to D1 programs and host of this years tournament. Maybe some of the East Coasters can elaborate on the Eagles and Wizards as they both only play together until Christmas then presumably play with their High School teams, much like Minnesota? Beyond the top four, Mission has a roster full of girls that will continue playing after this season also. They too have had a lot of success this season and can be a team that puts it all together and makes a nice run this year. I was surprised NAHA didn't make the tournament. I'd be interested to hear somebody's take on why they aren't going. The next four teams, CYA, Anaheim, Mass and Pitt are all very good too and could make a run in the tournament. These teams, on the American side, roster the frosh that we will be talking about next season so I for one am excited to see how this shakes out.

Re: Up next, 19U Tier 1 Nationals

Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
    I was surprised NAHA didn't make the tournament. I'd be interested to hear somebody's take on why they aren't going.
    To that point, I'd be interested in why all of the other Minnesota teams aren't going (Elite Red, White and Black). All are ranked in the top 6. Maybe they were asked and declined??? I understand location makes more sense for NAHA to be chosen. I don't know who the "at-large" teams are that got in without winning their District.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
      All the scouts will be headed to Boston in 10 days to find the next fit for their teams. I'm certain at some point you have all seen the tournament, so you know how exciting it can be. I know this is a college board but with no hockey left at that level, these girls are next years incoming class. The favorite is probably Shattuck as they were number one from start to finish this season. Their roster is chock full of D1 commitments from top to bottom. It's hard to know how good the Boston Eagles will be as they had some impressive wins early on but don't play together after the new year. They list a dozen or so D1 commitments so certainly they are talented. Belle Tire is the defending 16U National Champions the basically moved up as a team to 19U and are continuing to have success. They were kind of a surprise last season but continue built on that and are certainly a threat to win again. Their roster shows that most of the team will be playing in the NCAA in the next two years split between D1 and D3. The East Coast Wizards are a team that has commitments for at least half the team to D1 programs and host of this years tournament. Maybe some of the East Coasters can elaborate on the Eagles and Wizards as they both only play together until Christmas then presumably play with their High School teams, much like Minnesota? Beyond the top four, Mission has a roster full of girls that will continue playing after this season also. They too have had a lot of success this season and can be a team that puts it all together and makes a nice run this year. I was surprised NAHA didn't make the tournament. I'd be interested to hear somebody's take on why they aren't going. The next four teams, CYA, Anaheim, Mass and Pitt are all very good too and could make a run in the tournament. These teams, on the American side, roster the frosh that we will be talking about next season so I for one am excited to see how this shakes out.
      Any idea where I can find a list of teams participating?
      https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
      https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
      NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
      Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
        https://nationals.usahockey.com

Give them time.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
          You can also look here... The teams with the flags next to them are participating.

19U: http://www.myhockeyrankings.com/rank...017&a=d&v=2001

16U: http://www.myhockeyrankings.com/rank...017&a=d&v=2002

14U: http://www.myhockeyrankings.com/rank...017&a=c&v=2003

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
            Isn't 66 games (Mission 16u) a bit much? Heck, the National Collegiate Champs played 41 total.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Isn't 66 games (Mission 16u) a bit much? Heck, the National Collegiate Champs played 41 total.
              That is a lot, but the format for these teams is the issue. There are so few teams scattered across the country that there is no "league" so to speak, for a lot of them. They play showcase tournaments that have them playing 4-6 games in a weekend. The number of games adds up quickly over a 7 month season.

Comment

fyi...this is still 2 weeks out starting on April 5th (a week later because of Easter).

Last year i asked a Minnesota parent, why Minnesota was not sending teams to u19-Nationals the year after they had hosted the tournament. the response i got was "we don't have to. we can stay here and get the best competition". FWIW.
                Hope USA hockey does not award them another hosting slot until they put up the $$ for a trip themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                  fyi...this is still 2 weeks out starting on April 5th (a week later because of Easter).

Last year i asked a Minnesota parent, why Minnesota was not sending teams to u19-Nationals the year after they had hosted the tournament. the response i got was "we don't have to. we can stay here and get the best competition". FWIW.
                  Hope USA hockey does not award them another hosting slot until they put up the $$ for a trip themselves.
                  Well, the parent is right. Why drop $1,000 / kid when they've already been heavily scouted?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Last year i asked a Minnesota parent, why Minnesota was not sending teams to u19-Nationals the year after they had hosted the tournament. the response i got was "we don't have to. we can stay here and get the best competition". FWIW
                    This is a valid point!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Games can add up over tournament weekends. A dominant team like the Mission probably always made it to the championship game in every tournament- that can be as many as 5 or 6 games in a single weekend. NCAA teams play 2 games per weekend and have a shorter season.

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
                        To that point, I'd be interested in why all of the other Minnesota teams aren't going (Elite Red, White and Black). All are ranked in the top 6. Maybe they were asked and declined??? I understand location makes more sense for NAHA to be chosen. I don't know who the "at-large" teams are that got in without winning their District.
                        NAHA is not eligible. Its not a club team so it has never been allowed to go. That said, Shattuck is not either but I was told by Shattuck that they are grandfathered in. Doesn't make a lot of sense because there are other school teams that are eligible like Selects and Gilmour etc. I don't know what the exact criteria is but NAHA has never been eligible.

At large teams are CYA, Spitfires, Assabet and Madison.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                          NAHA is not eligible. Its not a club team so it has never been allowed to go. That said, Shattuck is not either but I was told by Shattuck that they are grandfathered in. Doesn't make a lot of sense because there are other school teams that are eligible like Selects and Gilmour etc. I don't know what the exact criteria is but NAHA has never been eligible.

At large teams are CYA, Spitfires, Assabet and Madison.
                          Historically, the individual districts make the decision on who is eligible as long as the team meets the basic USA Hockey roster and program requirements. The program requirements were redesigned to avoid "pop-up" teams like Team Pittsburgh a while back from forming 1 "super team" at 1 age level (usually by disgruntled parents with strong financial backing - Mario Lemeiux's daughter was on Pittsburgh initially) in favor of establishing long term stable more "professional" programs like the Mission, Wizards, Little Caesars, etc..

New England didn't like NAHA because the model wasn't prep school oriented (big deal in NE) so they wouldn't allow them to compete in the district tournament that all teams have to play in to qualify for Nationals. MN didn't really have any other eligible teams initially because the select/club/elite team approach wasn't their thing at the time so they allowed Shattuck to be eligible (I think there was one other MN program in the way back that was not very good).

Comment

Typical MN hockey parent (I've met a lot of them!). But in reality, they are largely correct - the scouts all go to MN and they can be seen there so they don't have to go to Nationals for that. That being said, the scouts all go to the New England prep school and club tournaments and they send teams to Nationals. There is something to be said for the thrill of winning a national championship and the level of play is generally very high (higher than MN HS hockey, but the MN Elite league is comparable or Nationals).

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                              Historically, the individual districts make the decision on who is eligible as long as the team meets the basic USA Hockey roster and program requirements. The program requirements were redesigned to avoid "pop-up" teams like Team Pittsburgh a while back from forming 1 "super team" at 1 age level (usually by disgruntled parents with strong financial backing - Mario Lemeiux's daughter was on Pittsburgh initially) in favor of establishing long term stable more "professional" programs like the Mission, Wizards, Little Caesars, etc..

New England didn't like NAHA because the model wasn't prep school oriented (big deal in NE) so they wouldn't allow them to compete in the district tournament that all teams have to play in to qualify for Nationals. MN didn't really have any other eligible teams initially because the select/club/elite team approach wasn't their thing at the time so they allowed Shattuck to be eligible (I think there was one other MN program in the way back that was not very good).

NAHA is not a full year school. Their season ends in late February and ALL girls return to their home schools to finish the school year. So, NAHA being eligible or not for USA Nationals is a moot point because their team has split up by then each season.

Comment

Working...
                              X