Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Up next, 19U Tier 1 Nationals

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    I think the poster is referring to 2016 which is mentioned by used2lurk in post #25.
    I think you are right! My mind right now is on my taxes...in the middle of TurboTax which is only slightly more confusing than this hockey board!
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
      so back to my point...why was the National tournament in Minnesota if they had never travelled anywhere to play and only played then because it was convenient. Once again, i don't care what Minnesota does, my question is why would USA hockey put Nationals in Minnesota without them ever playing in Nationals?
      Bigger crowds?

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        I think you are right! My mind right now is on my taxes...in the middle of TurboTax which is only slightly more confusing than this hockey board!
        I can relate to that...Turbo Tax is on my list of things to do this weekend.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
          so back to my point...why was the National tournament in Minnesota if they had never travelled anywhere to play and only played then because it was convenient. Once again, i don't care what Minnesota does, my question is why would USA hockey put Nationals in Minnesota without them ever playing in Nationals?
          That was the first year Minnesota Hockey sponsored Tier 1 hockey, so they didn't have teams that could play in nationals prior to that.
          Originally posted by dicaslover
          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            That was the first year Minnesota Hockey sponsored Tier 1 hockey, so they didn't have teams that could play in nationals prior to that.
            Not true - as has been mentioned numerous times, Shattuck has been MN Hockey's representative to the Nationals at the U16 and U19 level for many years. They had few if any other Tier 1 teams (to your point) and seem to have reverted to that now that the 1 year they hosted has gone by. So the question is still valid - why award the nationals to MN when they don't encourage/sponsor participation? Only two possible answers I can think of:

- USA Hockey incorrectly thought this would change MN thinking on participating annually beyond SSM - fat chance of that given the oft stated thinking by MN folks on this forum around the Nationals' lack of value and the inherent superiority of MN girls hockey in general.
            - This was the only facility that bid on the girls nationals that year. You have to bid to win and not a lot of facilities bid in general for girls nationals - the requirements are draconian because there is a money grab aspect to this for USA Hockey, few facilities meet the rink/hotelling requirements nationally, and the boys tournaments are way more attractive because they are better attended and the players are higher visibility.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
              Not true - as has been mentioned numerous times, Shattuck has been MN Hockey's representative to the Nationals at the U16 and U19 level for many years. They had few if any other Tier 1 teams (to your point) and seem to have reverted to that now that the 1 year they hosted has gone by.
              Shattuck-St. Mary's has always been given a special exception, but otherwise, there was no Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota until it was approved in the fall of 2015.
              Originally posted by dicaslover
              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

The reason MN hosted in 2016 was the Minnesota Women's Hockey League applied and was granted the host. The Nationals also include Adult divisions in A, B, C levels. The MN women are usually represented every year at Nationals wherever they are held. When the adult women hosted MN hockey then asked the the Elite league to do what was necessary to qualify to play. Lock in rosters, track games, player attendance and results and follow deadlines for participation in the nationals. Usually the Fall Elite league does not do this. To qualify they also needed to keep the teams together in the spring. The players enjoyed the experience, but remember 5 teams that would normally have played and count on getting to nationals to keep their programs viable did not get to go in 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by EPIC97 View Post
                  When the adult women hosted MN hockey then asked the the Elite league to do what was necessary to qualify to play. Lock in rosters, track games, player attendance and results and follow deadlines for participation in the nationals. Usually the Fall Elite league does not do this. To qualify they also needed to keep the teams together in the spring. The players enjoyed the experience, but remember 5 teams that would normally have played and count on getting to nationals to keep their programs viable did not get to go in 2016.
                  Confirmed my thinking that they bid and won - forgot about the adult division! USA Hockey asking the Elite to qualify is a bit ridiculous - sacrificed 5 programs participation that need the competition and exposure to include a bunch of MN girls who didn't even want to be there. Not very focused on increasing participation and growing the sport....

Comment

Working...
                  X