2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Penn State travels to Robert Morris this weekend for a Friday/Saturday CHA series, and it's going to be another big test for Penn State. Just as the Syracuse series was at the beginning of November, this series at Robert Morris will show where this team is, at the midway point of the season. This is the last series before the Christmas break, after which Penn State returns to action on December 30-31 at Boston University.

Robert Morris is led by Jaycee Gebhard, with 27 points after 18 games played. Penn State is led by Natalie Heising, with 18 points after 16 games played. There's a big scoring dropoff for both teams after Heising and Gebhard, but the next group of Robert Morris scorers aren't far from Natalie Heising's numbers, so they're going to be a defensive challenge for Penn State.

Last year, the big story at Robert Morris was Brittany Howard, but when Penn State shut Howard down they didn't lose to Robert Morris until the fourth game. It's tempting to think that will work this year with Gebhard, but Robert Morris has those few others who are scoring well, too. Penn State's defense is going to need to play smart, play disciplined, and be quick about moving the puck out of their defensive zone.

This series marks the return of Penn State sophomore Katie Rankin, who broke two fingers in the series against Syracuse and has been out since. She's a physical player who can score, but her real talent is in the faceoff circle when she's on, so hopefully she's coming back hungry.

One place where Penn State has an edge is in net, where Penn State's Jenna Brenneman has a 1.66 goals against average, and Robert Morris's Lauren Bailey has a 2.32 average. Robert Morris averages 2.39 goals per game, and Penn State averages 2.31, so both goalies will need to be on their game this weekend.

No free video for this series, but there is the pay stream...no thanks.

Comment

Sophomore forward Natalie Heising has been named the CHA Player of the Week, and junior goalie Jenna Brenneman has been named the CHA Goalie of the Week for the second consecutive week:

http://chawomenshockey.com/news/2018...any-lions.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
        Sophomore forward Natalie Heising has been named the CHA Player of the Week, and junior goalie Jenna Brenneman has been named the CHA Goalie of the Week for the second consecutive week:

http://chawomenshockey.com/news/2018...any-lions.aspx
        I noticed that the news release mistakenly shows Brenneman being from "Eagan, MI/Clarkson" - should be "Eagan, MN/Clarkson".
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
          I noticed that the news release mistakenly shows Brenneman being from "Eagan, MI/Clarkson" - should be "Eagan, MN/Clarkson".
          I don't believe Michigan has any towns named Eagan and the I and N on the keyboard aren't side by side so not too sure what might have happened there. Lol.

Comment

Penn State's look at the weekend series at Robert Morris:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2018/11...it-to-rmu.aspx

Comment

Really looking forward to this series. I am someone who thought Penn State would move into the top half the CHA this year, but so far they’ve been swept by Hurst and Cuse, so def need some points this weekend. I did not realize RMU was 0-3-3 in their last six so both teams should be hungry to win.

Comment

Game is at 705. If you pay the money to watch, do you have to watch it at 7 or can you watch it later. How long does the video stay in the able to watch area. What if I want to watch the game at 11? Does anybody know?

Considering Syracuse posted a donut in both games over Thanksgiving, that thumping is even looking worse. But, the second game against Mercyhurst was a bad beat. Kudos to Mercyhurst for coming back from 4-1. I guess we will see what the cupcake diet has done for State tonight?

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                  Game is at 705. If you pay the money to watch, do you have to watch it at 7 or can you watch it later. How long does the video stay in the able to watch area. What if I want to watch the game at 11? Does anybody know?

Considering Syracuse posted a donut in both games over Thanksgiving, that thumping is even looking worse. But, the second game against Mercyhurst was a bad beat. Kudos to Mercyhurst for coming back from 4-1. I guess we will see what the cupcake diet has done for State tonight?
                  I don’t think you have to watch at 7. I just logged in with my season pass and can watch old RMU home games. Worst case scenario for you, RMU posts detailed video recaps on their site with both teams goals.

Comment

Robert Morris takes the win over Penn State by a score of 3-2. I didn't watch the game, so I'll leave the recap up to anyone who watched it, but going by the stats it looks pretty even - shots on goal were 32-32, penalties were 5-4, power play goals were 1-1...it looks same-same on paper, but that doesn't always tell the story, so...

If you watched the game, how did it look?

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                      Robert Morris takes the win over Penn State by a score of 3-2. I didn't watch the game, so I'll leave the recap up to anyone who watched it, but going by the stats it looks pretty even - shots on goal were 32-32, penalties were 5-4, power play goals were 1-1...it looks same-same on paper, but that doesn't always tell the story, so...

If you watched the game, how did it look?
                      I watched most the game, but missed the first 8 minutes of the third. The last 12 minutes of the third were all Penn State. They pulled their goalie with three minutes left and never quit. Got a goal with a second left, a mad scramble in front of Bailey, various people took shots with #10 scoring the goal.

Overall, RMU looked like the better team, particularly as it pertains to speed, generating 5 on 5 chances in the first 2 periods, and executing at critical moments. The play of the game was in the 2nd period with about 8 minutes left. RMU on the PP, Brenneman badly shaken up on the play after making a save, right leg I think. Penn State really needed to win the ensuing faceoff and get a clear. They lost the faceoff, RMU moves the puck around and Gebhard got her second of the game, to make it 3-1 shortly after Penn State had just made it 2-1. It was a back breaker, kind of took the wind out Penn State’s sails a bit.

Penn State first goal was a pp goal by Heising, a one timer from the face off dot on her off side after being fed by I think 16 on the point. Real nice goal.

Freshman Gangarosa also stands out. Gets pp unit 1 time, pk time, was down at the net cracking away for that final goal at the end of the game. Slattery also stands out for Penn State, some nice moves. Penn State gives glimpses of how good they can be (and I imagine that’s how they earned the Providence and Colgate wins) but I think they would agree they don’t play full 60s yet (so few teams do).

Kirsten Welsh was out for RMU, they are going to need her for Minnesota next week!

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                        I watched most the game, but missed the first 8 minutes of the third. The last 12 minutes of the third were all Penn State. They pulled their goalie with three minutes left and never quit. Got a goal with a second left, a mad scramble in front of Bailey, various people took shots with #10 scoring the goal.

Overall, RMU looked like the better team, particularly as it pertains to speed, generating 5 on 5 chances in the first 2 periods, and executing at critical moments. The play of the game was in the 2nd period with about 8 minutes left. RMU on the PP, Brenneman badly shaken up on the play after making a save, right leg I think. Penn State really needed to win the ensuing faceoff and get a clear. They lost the faceoff, RMU moves the puck around and Gebhard got her second of the game, to make it 3-1 shortly after Penn State had just made it 2-1. It was a back breaker, kind of took the wind out Penn State’s sails a bit.

Penn State first goal was a pp goal by Heising, a one timer from the face off dot on her off side after being fed by I think 16 on the point. Real nice goal.

Freshman Gangarosa also stands out. Gets pp unit 1 time, pk time, was down at the net cracking away for that final goal at the end of the game. Slattery also stands out for Penn State, some nice moves. Penn State gives glimpses of how good they can be (and I imagine that’s how they earned the Providence and Colgate wins) but I think they would agree they don’t play full 60s yet (so few teams do).

Kirsten Welsh was out for RMU, they are going to need her for Minnesota next week!
                        Thanks for that great recap, Lindsay! I really agree with this point: "Penn State gives glimpses of how good they can be...". They have all the pieces, I think, but it's been a season so far of putting them together into the right mix. When they're on, they're really fun to watch, but that makes it frustrating when they're off, too, because you know how good they can be. Tomorrow's a new game, and Penn State is good for coming out for a game two, so we'll see what they adjust for tomorrow.

Comment

Penn State's game recap: https://gopsusports.com/news/2018/11...ss-at-rmu.aspx

And an earlier article about Jenna Brenneman that I forgot to post before tonight's game: https://gopsusports.com/news/2018/11...ng-moment.aspx

Comment

Predicting a win this afternoon. If Colgate can beat Clarkson, Penn State has it in them to win this afternoon. Team will just have to channel the same energy they had against Colgate.

On a more hockey strategy approach, playing weaker teams makes you worse, so it makes sense Lindsay would say Robert Morris looked faster because RIT and RPI are surely slow and it was probably a little bit of a shock to play another athletic team. So now Penn State will be up to the speed and it will hopefully show today.

Comment

Robert Morris finishes the sweep with a 4-1 win against Penn State. I didn't watch this one, either, so here's the game recap from Penn State:
                              https://gopsusports.com/news/2018/12...in-defeat.aspx

Comment

#whyIDon'tgamble. Next up BU.

Comment

Working...
                                X