2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
    A semicolon would accomplish the same thing without so many keystrokes.
    Lol, touché! Welcome to the spelling and grammar police!
    Last edited by shelfit; 10-23-2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Re: 2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Penn State freshman defenseman Jessica Adolfsson has been named to the Swedish Women's National Team roster for the upcoming Four Nations Cup, November 6-10 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2018/10...up-roster.aspx

Comment

Penn State freshman forward Loli Fidler (Edina, MN) has been named the 2017-18 Girls High School Athlete of the Year at the Minnesota Sports Awards show tonight:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqUL-LVU8AEWNg0.jpg

Comment

Penn State's write-up on Loli Fidler's award:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2018/10...-the-year.aspx

Comment

Here's a really nice article about junior forward Katie McMillan (Minnetonka, MN):

https://gopsusports.com/news/2018/10...f-the-ice.aspx

Comment

Penn State dropped the first game at Mercyhurst by a score of 2-1. I didn't watch the game, because I refuse to pay $11 to watch a game, so all I'm going by are the game stats.

Mercyhurst led the shots on goal by 33-25. Both teams took four penalties (an improvement for Mercyhurst, not so for Penn State) but neither team managed a power play goal. Mercyhurst led 2-0 until late in the third when Brooke Madsen scored the lone goal for Penn State.

Penn State led the blocked shots by 19-11, and everything else makes it look like it was a fairly even game, but stats are stats. I hope Lindsay got to watch the game and will have a much better post-game report on the Mercyhurst thread.

Edit to add: I see a tying goal with 4.8 seconds left was called off, so I'd love to hear what happened there.
              Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 10-26-2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=ZedLeppelinI hope Lindsay got to watch the game and will have a much better post-game report on the Mercyhurst thread.

Edit to add: I see a tying goal with 4.8 seconds left was called off, so I'd love to hear what happened there.[/QUOTE]

I haven’t even left work yet. Leaving now though and I may try to see if the game gets put on demand on the Portal. I would think that kind of an ending will fuel emotions for the rematch. Not at all surprised by the close game. Elsewhere RMU and Lindenwood tied. That’s surprising but not shocking given Lindemwood’s goalie in game 1 of a series, has shown her stuff time and time again. CHA race is going to be fun once again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                  I haven’t even left work yet. Leaving now though and I may try to see if the game gets put on demand on the Portal. I would think that kind of an ending will fuel emotions for the rematch. Not at all surprised by the close game. Elsewhere RMU and Lindenwood tied. That’s surprising but not shocking given Lindemwood’s goalie in game 1 of a series, has shown her stuff time and time again. CHA race is going to be fun once again this year.
                  I hope you're right, especially with the late goal being called off - that should have Penn State fired up. It's good to see Brooke Madsen score for Penn State. She takes a ton of shots, and good shots, too, and really drives the offense when she's on the ice, but she hasn't had the best of luck with getting many through. Have fun if you get to watch it!

Comment

Here's the Penn State recap:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2018/10...ercyhurst.aspx

Referees reviewed the potential tying goal (with five seconds left in the game) and then determined that Penn State was offside on the play. Not on a shot from just inside the zone...this was a shot during a scramble at the net, presumably chopping at a rebound. How long do they get to decide if a play was offside? I was expecting to hear something about interfering with the goalie or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                      How long do they get to decide if a play was offside?
                      If there is visual evidence that the play was not onside during zone entry or zone re-entry as the case may be, then it would not be a good goal no matter how much time had elapsed. I wonder if they are supposed to put time back on the clock in that case? For example, if there were 30 seconds left when the infraction was committed, then the play was essentially dead at that point. I'm too lazy to look up the rule, though.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        I wonder if they are supposed to put time back on the clock in that case? For example, if there were 30 seconds left when the infraction was committed, then the play was essentially dead at that point.
                        I was wondering the same thing last night, about time being put back on the clock, if they're going to wait that long to call a play offside. I wondered, too, why they even decided to recheck for offside in the first place (never seen that before), when the crew was apparently okay with things until a goal was scored. I don't understand that, and I don't want to sound like sour grapes for the loss, but I also don't like to see Penn State losing a game that way.

Comment

​I'm late to the game (no pun intended), but Penn State lost game two to Mercyhurst in OT by a score of 5-4.

Looking at stats, the first thing to jump off the page is seeing that sophomore goalie Chantal Burke was in net for this one in her first career start, instead of junior Jenna Brenneman.​ Talk about earning your wings in battle. Good for Burke - I'm glad to see her get playing time, and not playing time against a cupcake. The second thing to jump off the page is seeing that freshman Loli Fidler finally scored her first (and second) career goals, and ended up with a three-point game. Good for her, too. Junior Katie Rankin got her faceoff touch back this weekend, going 18-7 in the circle today after a 21-10 run in yesterday's game - that's good to see.

Penn State led in shots on goal by 36-29, and went 2-for-3 on the power play, too, so offensively it looks like they were on their game today, and were actually up 4-1 at one point. How that disappeared is something they're going to have to work on, says Captain Obvious. I would've loved to watch this series to see what happened defensively today, when Penn State is usually a very tough defensive team.

Overall, not a bad weekend to open conference play, especially playing at Mercyhurst.
                          Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 10-27-2018, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Emma Nuutinen is what happened.

Comment

Penn State freshman Loli Fidler (Edina, MN) has been named the CHA Rookie of the Week:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2018/10...-the-week.aspx

Comment

Here's a new video tour of the Penn State women's hockey facilities at Pegula Ice Arena:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5qiEYO2OvM

Comment

Working...
                                X