2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Uihleen, Lobdell, Zanon and Bothun to Camp 66. All Penn State verbal commits.
    Gangarosa just named Section 5 tournament MVP for girls lacrosse for the Brighton Barons for the Class B champions. Enters Penn State in the fall for hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
      Uihleen, Lobdell, Zanon and Bothun to Camp 66. All Penn State verbal commits.
      Gangarosa just named Section 5 tournament MVP for girls lacrosse for the Brighton Barons for the Class B champions. Enters Penn State in the fall for hockey.
      Rene Gangarosa is the only one on that list that I've looked up, and she sounds like a stud. She's been to the USA Hockey Development Camp every year since 2015 and comes with all kinds of accolades in hockey, and then follows that up with lacrosse, tennis, and even judo, where she's a junior national champ.

She's a 5-10 defender who can score a lot, too. I hate the word "potential", but she's got it in spades.

Comment

When Kampresal was at Princeton, he definitely preferred multi sport players. Fidler also fits that blueprint as she has played hockey, soccer and lax and won Edina's female sportster of the year award.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
          When Kampresal was at Princeton, he definitely preferred multi sport players. Fidler also fits that blueprint as she has played hockey, soccer and lax and won Edina's female sportster of the year award.
          I wonder what got Loli Fidler to decommit to Harvard and come to Penn State instead. She was a very late addition to the list of incoming freshmen, but she sounds like another "all go" athlete like Rene Gangarosa, so I'm glad to see her coming here, and focusing all that energy into hockey now. I always like to see Minnesota players come to Penn State, but I do like Kampersal's recruiting reach, too.

Back to the goalie issue - I'm just going to assume Kampersal has to get a third goalie for next season, so my questions would be these: does he go after a freshman who knows she will be a practice goalie for four years, or does he do whatever coaches do to get an experienced transfer who has a year or two left (with the two current goalies being a sophomore and redshirt freshman)? Does he put the season on the shoulders of the current sophomore goalie, Chantal Burke?

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
            I wonder what got Loli Fidler to decommit to Harvard and come to Penn State instead. She was a very late addition to the list of incoming freshmen, but she sounds like another "all go" athlete like Rene Gangarosa, so I'm glad to see her coming here, and focusing all that energy into hockey now. I always like to see Minnesota players come to Penn State, but I do like Kampersal's recruiting reach, too.

Back to the goalie issue - I'm just going to assume Kampersal has to get a third goalie for next season, so my questions would be these: does he go after a freshman who knows she will be a practice goalie for four years, or does he do whatever coaches do to get an experienced transfer who has a year or two left (with the two current goalies being a sophomore and redshirt freshman)? Does he put the season on the shoulders of the current sophomore goalie, Chantal Burke?
            So what do coaches do to get an experienced transfer?! Do they seriously do something proactive because if I'm not mistaken that would be against the rules?

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              So what do coaches do to get an experienced transfer?! Do they seriously do something proactive because if I'm not mistaken that would be against the rules?
              The advisor contacts a coach and asks "Would you be interested in a top 10 goalie/defenseman/forward transfer?", without mentioning names. The coach says yes and the advisor then tells the player that Coach Q would be amenable to her transfer.

A few days later, the ball rolls.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                The advisor contacts a coach and asks "Would you be interested in a top 10 goalie/defenseman/forward transfer?", without mentioning names. The coach says yes and the advisor then tells the player that Coach Q would be amenable to her transfer.

"The Advisor", coming soon to a movie theater near you.....if you're a potential transfer student.

Seriously though, who the heck is this advisor person you're talking about? If it's anybody at the school in question then that's against the rules to as far as I've heard.

Comment

"The Advisor", coming soon to a movie theater near you.....if you're a potential transfer student.

Seriously though, who the heck is this advisor person you're talking about? If it's anybody at the school in question then that's against the rules to as far as I've heard.
                  The family advisor. It seems a lot of hockey players have one.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Ahhh, that’s how it works. I wondered how that goalie made it over to Duluth from Hurst last season.

Comment

The family advisor. It seems a lot of hockey players have one.
                      You mean like those paid scouting and recruiting services like NCSA and NSR?

Comment

You mean like those paid scouting and recruiting services like NCSA and NSR?
                        No. A personal "unpaid" agentadvisor. Sometimes an attorney, sometimes someone who has contacts throughout the hockeyverse.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

No. A personal "unpaid" agentadvisor. Sometimes an attorney, sometimes someone who has contacts throughout the hockeyverse.
                          That sounds incredibly sketchy!

Comment

How does one become Kassidy Sauve's agent? Would I have to move to Ohio? And would I need a nice car I'm willing to...er...let go for a nominal fee?

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                              Does he put the season on the shoulders of the current sophomore goalie, Chantal Burke?
                              Nah. I think you just have a mentality like the position is up for grabs between Burke and the new freshman goalie. If you sign another goalie between now and the final NLI date great, but if not, find a walk on.

I don’t think it’s too rare for teams to be inexperienced in goal. Thinking off the top of my head, Mercyhurst split goaltender duties for a long time this year trying to find their number one; OSU had a walk on goalie... BC might have a freshman in net next year.I bet there’s more than a few programs with similar predicaments.

I bet every coach whose been around a while has dealt with this. No need for great concern!
                              Last edited by Lindsay; 06-03-2018, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                                Nah. I think you just have a mentality like the position is up for grabs between Burke and the new freshman goalie. If you sign another goalie between now and the final NLI date great, but if not, find a walk on.

I don’t think it’s too rare for teams to be inexperienced in goal. Thinking off the top of my head, Mercyhurst split goaltender duties for a long time this year trying to find their number one; OSU had a walk on goalie... BC might have a freshman in net next year.I bet there’s more than a few programs with similar predicaments.

I bet every coach whose been around a while has dealt with this. No need for great concern!
                                Looking back at this past season, it was a bit of surprise to see Kampersal put Chantal Burke in for almost 70 minutes of playing time as a freshman, including an entire third period (can't remember who she got playing time against). That seemed a bit odd, when senior Hannah Ehresmann and very solid sophomore goalie Daniela Paniccia usually split goalie time, with Paniccia primed to be the starter this season. Nobody in the stands knew Paniccia was dealing with concussions, though, but now that helps explain Burke's time in net last season (fellow freshman goalie Cam Leonard took a redshirt for her freshman season).

My curiosity is mostly whether Kampersal goes for a practice goalie, or does what he can to find a junior or senior somewhere who wants to transfer. I would think a third goalie is pretty much mandatory, as last season showed when Burke was needed. In the little time Burke was in a few games, I thought she looked good, and of course Kampersal has seen a lot more of her, so maybe he has her pegged for the starting job.

Comment

Working...
                                X