2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

I think you're right about Mercyhurst being positioned best for 2018-19. They weren't as reliant on one player as Robert Morris was on Brittany Howard, even though Robert Morris got scoring from others, too, like Jaycee Gebhard. But she had twice as many assists as she had goals, and I'm too lazy to look up whether or not she was on a line with Howard, but that would say a lot. I think there's also an intangible involved when you have a Brittany Howard on the team. Robert Morris also loses their starting goalie, and I think that's going to hurt them as much as losing Howard. Mercyhurst gets three more seasons with the very talented Kennedy Blair in net, along with good balanced scoring, and I think that gives them the definite edge.

Syracuse is hard to figure out. They're always a good team, but never quite finish off the season on top. They are always a pain in the pads for Penn State, though.

RIT...what's the fix for them? It's hard to believe they won back-to-back CHA championships just a few years ago. They've gone steadily downhill since then. I would think Scott McDonald is looking for work before long.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
      Robert Morris also loses their starting goalie, and I think that's going to hurt them as much as losing Howard.
      RMU graduates three senior D. I don't remember Carey, so maybe she didn't get as many shifts, but Murphy and Fraser have been stalwarts for years. We don't talk about defensemen as much, but once they are gone, a team tends to miss them. The Colonials will have to rely on seniors Lague and Welsh a lot, particularly early, and Curlett looks well on her way to being a star by the time her career is done.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        RMU graduates three senior D. I don't remember Carey, so maybe she didn't get as many shifts, but Murphy and Fraser have been stalwarts for years. We don't talk about defensemen as much, but once they are gone, a team tends to miss them. The Colonials will have to rely on seniors Lague and Welsh a lot, particularly early, and Curlett looks well on her way to being a star by the time her career is done.
        I know a team's defense doesn't get the press that scoring leaders get, and you're right - the good ones are sorely missed when they graduate. I don't remember any Robert Morris player names other than the usual, and those are players who are graduating. It's going to take a lot for them to repeat the success of this season, and I still think Mercyhurst is sitting in the best shape for 2018-19. Well, except for Penn State quietly sneaking up and grabbing the CHA championship next season, I mean.

Comment

Hockey season is over, and it's April - why am I waking up to fresh snow in central PA? I want a video review of the calendar flip.

Comment

Watching the men's semifinal Frozen Four between UMD and Ohio State - count me in with anyone else who thinks all these media timeouts are killing the game.

Comment

Watching the men's semifinal Frozen Four between UMD and Ohio State - count me in with anyone else who thinks all these media timeouts are killing the game.
              How many timeouts per game and for how long?

I watched the end of the second; crowd didn’t seem into it at all. We can hear the players yelling, the refs etc. Crowd was quiet. Kind of boring. Is that what you mean by media time outs killing the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

I watched the end of the second; crowd didn’t seem into it at all. We can hear the players yelling, the refs etc. Crowd was quiet. Kind of boring. Is that what you mean by media time outs killing the game?
                Third was much more interesting!

Comment

I just think additional timeouts kill the usual flow of a hockey game. Another thing I don't like is the camera angles they're using - it's hard to see plays develop when the cameras are at ice level. I was watching the feed from ESPN3, though, with nobody calling the game - maybe the regular ESPN stream was better.

Comment

I just think additional timeouts kill the usual flow of a hockey game. Another thing I don't like is the camera angles they're using - it's hard to see plays develop when the cameras are at ice level. I was watching the feed from ESPN3, though, with nobody calling the game - maybe the regular ESPN stream was better.
                    Got it. Yeah they do kill the flow and aid the team with less depth. Some unusual camera angles at times on ESPN2 as well, but not too bad.

Comment

Got it. Yeah they do kill the flow and aid the team with less depth. Some unusual camera angles at times on ESPN2 as well, but not too bad.
                      No complaints here, didn't seem any less disruptive than a typical men's college or NHL game. Then again I almost always record the games on the DVR and skip through all the commercials until I catch up to real time, usually in the 3rd period!
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        No complaints here, didn't seem any less disruptive than a typical men's college or NHL game. Then again I almost always record the games on the DVR and skip through all the commercials until I catch up to real time, usually in the 3rd period!
                        Who do you have in the men's championship? Notre Dame finished Michigan in an exciting way last night. Are they up for UMD?

Comment

Who do you have in the men's championship? Notre Dame finished Michigan in an exciting way last night. Are they up for UMD?
                          That's MDU according to the E$PN masterminds.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            That's MDU according to the E$PN masterminds.
                            For all they know it could be this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahars...and_University
                            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                              For all they know it could be this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahars...and_University
                              Haha. It says they have a hockey team... ;-)

It will be nuts if Notre Dame wins basketball and hockey a week or so apart.

Comment

I sometimes miss my hometown of Duluth, and then I see pictures like these of Duluth in mid-April...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/larsonfordu...type=3&theater

Comment

Working...
                                X