Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Not really. Easier recruiting because you are drawing from a much larger pool of kids who grew up watching the Gophers, better facilities was redundant and the result of a misread on my part, and more resources extends well beyond facilities. I thought my post was a rather level-headed reply and I stand by it (minus the clear misread on the one point).
    I was thinking more that
    facilities=facilities
    money=resources and
    tradition (is a key to) recruiting - maybe the biggest factor other than the staff itself.

Now, by "money" he may have meant just the coach's salary, which would be a different point than "resources" (I mean, what you don't have you can buy). But I think the main thing that ol' Tipsy didn't clearly point out as an advantage is PROGRAM PRESTIGE. I think it's the main advantage and will be the biggest draw to the next coach (although it also is closely tied to both tradition and recruiting advantages).
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
      How much of an influence will Don have in saying who replaces him? He's already said publicly that he thinks Guentzel would make a great head coach and that he's familiar with it there. The fact that he's a alumni and has public support from Don makes me think he's already been the chosen one.
      I was told he might not have the right personality. "He's a good player's coach", "Great guy!", "Nothing like Don". We will see but it wouldn't surprise me if he did land the position.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        I was thinking more that
        facilities=facilities
        money=resources and
        tradition (is a key to) recruiting - maybe the biggest factor other than the staff itself.

Now, by "money" he may have meant just the coach's salary, which would be a different point than "resources" (I mean, what you don't have you can buy). But I think the main thing that ol' Tipsy didn't clearly point out as an advantage is PROGRAM PRESTIGE. I think it's the main advantage and will be the biggest draw to the next coach (although it also is closely tied to both tradition and recruiting advantages).
        Tradition is prestige. Unless you think the name itself has prestige. If that's the case, Minnesota may as well be Ohio State.
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I was thinking more that
          facilities=facilities
          money=resources and

Well you've got the amount of program exposure too, that plays into recruiting.

And posting how the teams will be next year (one year out doesn't compare to what might happen for the rest of one's career) and comparing how the conferences were in past years (which for the B1G isn't likely to be the average going forward) is being a little selective under the CONS.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
            Tradition is prestige. Unless you think the name itself has prestige. If that's the case, Minnesota may as well be Ohio State.
            Since you like definitions:
            Tradition: the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation, or the fact of being passed on in this way
            Prestige: widespread respect and admiration felt for someone or something on the basis of a perception of their achievements or quality

Comment

Prestige: a movie starring Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman and Scarlett Johansson.

Comment

I was thinking more that
                facilities=facilities
                money=resources and

Fair enough. I would think that the recruiting advantages would be pretty big too, but clearly it hasn't stopped Motzko from doing a stellar job of recruiting at SCSU. Either the recruiting advantage that MN has isn't what it once was because of the coaching situation or other factors.

If the recruiting gap closed because of coaching, imagine what Motzko could do at Minnesota. If the recruiting gap has closed because of other factors like SCSU, UMD, MSU, and BSU upgrading facilities and investing more in their programs, then there just isn't as much inherent advantage as their used to be.

I am guessing it's a bit of both, but who knows.
                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

There is a difference between prestige and history. Being a cos h in the big ten has prestige (much due to other sports) but there isn’t much history.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    posting how the teams will be next year (one year out doesn't compare to what might happen for the rest of one's career)
                    One year doesn't compare to what might happen for the rest of ones career, but when you are in your late 50's, you are probably not trying to completely rebuild the roster to your liking.

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    and comparing how the conferences were in past years (which for the B1G isn't likely to be the average going forward) is being a little selective under the CONS.
                    Oh, so despite the NCHC getting WAY more teams into the tournament every year until now, and having 7 Frozen Four teams to 1 for the B1G, and having the last two national champs plus a good chance of having the national champ this year, the verdict is still out on which conference is better?

Still waiting for your argument of the Gopher job being the top one in college hockey.
                    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

• Re: Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post

Still waiting for your argument of the Gopher job being the top one in college hockey.
                      Not worth the time. Most people would agree, not just Gopher fans. Maybe 4 other schools nationally in the same level.

Comment

Pierce at Michigan and a coaching shakeup at Minnesota I think will really strengthen the programs. Even with more success for Minnesota, I still don’t see it helping their attendance too much. I predict the B1G will be a boon to programs like OSU, Notre Dame and Michigan (and Penn rising up from the ashes), but hurting Minnesota in the long run. The “which conference is better” argument is stupid so let’s just say Hockey East is the best. We’ll see come April whether a B1G team wins a championship, or all fail to make Frozen Four
                        Last edited by UMD21; 03-22-2018, 06:48 PM.
                        I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                          Fair enough. I would think that the recruiting advantages would be pretty big too, but clearly it hasn't stopped Motzko from doing a stellar job of recruiting at SCSU. Either the recruiting advantage that MN has isn't what it once was because of the coaching situation or other factors.
                          Other factors = trend for recruiting age is big factor in why MN doesn't have the edge in skilled players and why this is the first year since like 1968 since MN, UND, BC, WI are all not in the NCAA. All of these schools, like a handful of others, used to really have an edge when most kids committed at 18 or 19, when you had a better idea how they would do in college. It used to be they would announce the MR. Hockey winner and some time after that he usually committed to MN. Now the (formerly?) Power schools are getting the 15-16 yr olds that look like they will be the top players at 19, but way more of them plateau before college than do kids picked at 18. Schools that aren't getting as many 15 yr old commits are mixing in the older kids who were passed on when younger, but continued to improve and may now be a better player than the kid who was leading the state in points at 15. Hard to pass on that 15 yr old stud when you might be passing on the next Vanek or Boeser. But it also doesn't leave space for that late bloomer. The result is more parity. I think Gopher fans who think the right coach will put them back to making the NCAA 9 of 10 year and in the final four every few years need to accept this may be the new reality. And people who talk about the Defense's performance this year as evidence Guentzel maybe isn't as good as people used to think he was, should recognize that these kids committed fairly young and with high expectation (how many are drafted?). Maybe they just plateaued a little, regardless of what a coach does. Hard to judge a coach on the performance in one year.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                            Pierce at Michigan and a coaching shakeup at Minnesota I think will really strengthen the programs. Even with more success for Minnesota, I still don’t see it helping their attendance too much. I predict the B1G will be a boon to programs like OSU, Notre Dame (and Penn rising up from the ashes), but hurting Minnesota in the long run. The “which conference is better” argument is stupid so let’s just say Hockey East is the best. We’ll see come April whether a B1G team wins a championship, or all fail to make Frozen Four
                            In the short term I agree with you, a coaching change won't completely solve the attendance problems. But in the long term Minnesota will be fine. I've been a Gopher fan since the 70's and many of the programs in the B10 used to be among Minnesota's biggest rivals. It takes time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                              Other factors = trend for recruiting age is big factor in why MN doesn't have the edge in skilled players and why this is the first year since like 1968 since MN, UND, BC, WI are all not in the NCAA. All of these schools, like a handful of others, used to really have an edge when most kids committed at 18 or 19, when you had a better idea how they would do in college. It used to be they would announce the MR. Hockey winner and some time after that he usually committed to MN. Now the (formerly?) Power schools are getting the 15-16 yr olds that look like they will be the top players at 19, but way more of them plateau before college than do kids picked at 18. Schools that aren't getting as many 15 yr old commits are mixing in the older kids who were passed on when younger, but continued to improve and may now be a better player than the kid who was leading the state in points at 15. Hard to pass on that 15 yr old stud when you might be passing on the next Vanek or Boeser. But it also doesn't leave space for that late bloomer. The result is more parity. I think Gopher fans who think the right coach will put them back to making the NCAA 9 of 10 year and in the final four every few years need to accept this may be the new reality. And people who talk about the Defense's performance this year as evidence Guentzel maybe isn't as good as people used to think he was, should recognize that these kids committed fairly young and with high expectation (how many are drafted?). Maybe they just plateaued a little, regardless of what a coach does. Hard to judge a coach on the performance in one year.
                              Great post Koho. Completely agree with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                                Not worth the time. Most people would agree, not just Gopher fans. Maybe 4 other schools nationally in the same level.
                                Most people would not agree. See, I can do that too.

Comment

Working...
                                X