Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

http://www.startribune.com/don-lucia...ach/477418153/
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Re: Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

Arghh!

The value of my enormous stockpile of Lucia memes and hair jokes has just plummeted out of sight.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

At 8:25 ET Saturday night the Gophers were better than 90% to make the tournament. Then everything that could go wrong went wrong and less than 72 hours later the coach is out.

Existence advances towards one at an extreme velocity.

Comment

I thought this was a troll thread at first. Wow. And I thought there were expectations when we canned our coach last year...

Comment

Well, everyone who likes their coach is going to be very nervous for the next month or so.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
          -Blackadder
          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
          -Casablanca
          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
            Well, everyone who likes their coach is going to be very nervous for the next month or so.
            Reading that gives me the most Gopher hockey swagger I've felt in a long time. Sad but good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
              I think that's a stretch.

Anybody east of say Ohio isn't going to even be looked at in the college game. Hockey is too regional, especially when it comes to recruiting. Minnesota is going to pick someone with either U of M or state of Minnesota connections is my guess. Too important to connect to the alumni/boosters and the local hockey coaches.

Guys like Berry, Montgomery, Granato or Pearson aren't going anywhere. Minnesota is not going to take guys like Blasi.

If I were a Duluth, Mankato, SCSU or NMU fan, I'd be worried to varying degrees. Otherwise it's most likely going to be a current assistant or someone like Darby Hendrickson, Todd Richards, Rob Stauber or someone like that.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

He had a good run and his legacy is secure, but 19 years is a very long time for a coach to be in charge of a team. I believe that it was time for a change, just as it was for Michigan when Berenson finally stepped down.
                National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
                National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  I think that's a stretch.

Anybody east of say Ohio isn't going to even be looked at in the college game. Hockey is too regional, especially when it comes to recruiting. Minnesota is going to pick someone with either U of M or state of Minnesota connections is my guess. Too important to connect to the alumni/boosters and the local hockey coaches.

Guys like Berry, Montgomery, Granato or Pearson aren't going anywhere. Minnesota is not going to take guys like Blasi.

If I were a Duluth, Mankato, SCSU or NMU fan, I'd be worried to varying degrees. Otherwise it's most likely going to be a current assistant or someone like Darby Hendrickson, Todd Richards, Rob Stauber or someone like that.
                  I actually I believe he's correct. Depending on who Minnesota selects the domino's could fall all over the place.
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Nope. Nice to hear, not as true as we’d like to think.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

75% Guentzel
                      10% Motzko
                      5% Hastings
                      5% some other western school not named North Dakota, Denver, Wisconsin, or Michigan
                      2.5% some eastern school not named BC, BU
                      1% Brad Frost
                      1% AHL or fired NHL/AHL coach
                      0.5% the field

0% Potulny
                      0% Sandelin
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Odds makers would never put Potulny at 0%.

Comment

Hak?

You'd be much stronger in the handshake line.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                            Odds makers would never put Potulny at 0%.
                            Give you even money it’s not him.
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              Hak?

You'd be much stronger in the handshake line.
                              Why don’t you go shake hands with the second stage of a snowblower?

Code:

Comment

Working...
                              X