Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    You mean s handful of blowhard alums? Who cares what they think. I'd like to see the new coach have a state of MN connection, but mostly just hire the best coach.
    Well, apparently they have been a pain in Lucia's behind since he got there. Even after winning two titles. I am sure Motzko would love to experience that kind of crap if he took the job.
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
      Well, apparently they have been a pain in Lucia's behind since he got there. Even after winning two titles. I am sure Motzko would love to experience that kind of crap if he took the job.
      Hey, I'm just saying I don't give a crap what they think. And I don't think the school should be held hostage to their demands either.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Hey, I'm just saying I don't give a crap what they think. And I don't think the school should be held hostage to their demands either.
        It's a balancing act. Placate them just enough to keep the money flowing.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          It's a balancing act. Placate them just enough to keep the money flowing.
          Agreed

Comment

Odds are...their money talks...or at least they like to think it does. A new AD may not be wise in ignoring it.
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
              Odds are...their money talks...or at least they like to think it does. A new AD may not be wise in ignoring it.
              It's only a small group of alums. Ignoring is one thing and letting them force you into unwise decisions is another.

Besides, Motzko has ties to the school even if he isn't an alum. As does Hastings.
              Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 03-21-2018, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Those alums welcoming a St. Cloud State man with open arms would be like JDubbs moving to Milwaukee.
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  Yeah, the Canadiens did and look how much they have improved!!!
                  *do.

Might get better once they hire Monty in 2 years

r

Comment

Those alums welcoming a St. Cloud State man with open arms would be like JDubbs moving to Milwaukee.
                    Easy turbo. Motzko might not even be their choice. No need to get cranky.

Comment

It's only a small group of alums. Ignoring is one thing and letting them force you into unwise decisions is another.

Besides, Motzko has ties to the school even if he isn't an alum. As does Hastings.
                      They don't care that they have ties...they didn't play for the school which automatically makes them inferior. This group supposedly still hated Lucia after 2 national titles because he wasn't an "M" man.
                      I mean how much crap did he get when he was photographed wearing ND stuff in support of his son?
                      And small group or not...money talks.
                      Last edited by First Time, Long Time; 03-21-2018, 05:32 PM.
                      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                      Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

They don't care that they have ties...they didn't play for the school which automatically makes them inferior. This group supposedly still hated Lucia after 2 national titles because he wasn't an "M" man.
                        I mean how much crap did he get when he was photographed wearing ND stuff in support of his son?
                        And small group or not...money talks.
                        UMN didn't care when they hired Lucia, and doubtful they will now. They need to make the right hire or attendance will continue to decline. As you said, money talks. A small group of alums that are irrational hasn't and won't control the program.

And Motzko and Hastings have coached at Minnesota. They have ties to the state and school.

Not saying either will be the school's choice as there other great options, but the alums won't keep them from hiring the right person.

Comment

Well, if it hasn't been said: Congratulations, Coach Lucia. Coached back-to-backs. How many have done that (since Kennedy)? Coached through some very tough years when he had to deal with serious medical issues and didn't make excuses. We S'awks fans like to hate anything Gopher, but he can be proud of what he did at UMinn.

feeling a little faint . . . .

Comment

Easy turbo. Motzko might not even be their choice. No need to get cranky.
                            Why would I be cranky about Gopher fans admitting that the St. Cloud State hockey program is better than theirs?

Comment

UMN didn't care when they hired Lucia, and doubtful they will now. They need to make the right hire or attendance will continue to decline. As you said, money talks. A small group of alums that are irrational hasn't and won't control the program.

And Motzko and Hastings have coached at Minnesota. They have ties to the state and school.

Not saying either will be the school's choice as there other great options, but the alums won't keep them from hiring the right person.
                              Maybe I'm not articulating this correctly. I'm not saying Money Talks in terms of hiring, I'm saying money talks in terms of alumni influence. College hockey is a small community and these coaches talk a lot, in terms of Motzko Lucia at least once a week for the better part of a decade.
                              These issues with alumni are well known...so it's a no brainer that Motzko or Hastings would know them also.
                              If it's me...if I know a guy who has 2 national titles to his credit can't be accepted by some alumni because he isn't an "M" man...and I know I'm also not one...the choice would be easy...the money isn't worth the hassle.
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Why would I be cranky about Gopher fans admitting that the St. Cloud State hockey program is better than theirs?
                                lol

Comment

Working...
                                X