Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

Have to wonder if Potulny is thinking "what if" right now.
    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
      Have to wonder if Potulny is thinking "what if" right now.
      You don't think Lucia told Potulny that he was coming to the end?
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
        You don't think Lucia told Potulny that he was coming to the end?
        I don't think Lucia was thinking the end was quite so near when Potulny left. The slide at the end of the season this year really put a nail in the coffin. I'm not sure he would have been offered the job if he stayed. My guess is UM will look for a coach with more experience, and probably head coaching experience.
        Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

For a program like Minnesota it's probably better for Potulny to get HC experience elsewhere before stepping into such a high profile job. That being said the timing doesn't always work out perfectly with these things. If Mark Coyle thinks Potulny is a rising star, he'd be foolish not to give him a serious look right now.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Give you even money it’s not him.
            Per your 0% (absolutely no chance it's Potulny) you should be giving odds of at least 1,000 to 1. I'd be willing to risk losing a dollar on that bet.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
              I actually I believe he's correct. Depending on who Minnesota selects the domino's could fall all over the place.
              Never say never, but I almost have to say "never" here.

It's just not what happens in college hockey coaching.

Take a look back over the last 10 years or so when coaches have left or been fired. How much poaching of other head coaches has really gone on? Have any dominos really fallen after those hires? No

Major programs (Michigan, Wisconsin, DU, and UND) and some programs in pretty good situations (Mich St., CC, Omaha) have had their head coaching spots filled in probably the last half dozen years here out west. How many of them resulted in poaches of the head coach of another college program? You can only claim one (Michigan), and realistically pretty much everyone except for Tech fans understood that Pearson was just being sent to Tech to get some seasoning before taking over for Berenson, so I don't even consider that a poach.

Furthermore, once those positions were filled, was there a domino effect throughout the rest of college hockey as a result? No.

Even the hiring of Lucia, 20 years ago (which would certainly be considered a poach) didn't result in any sort of domino effect. CC didn't go poach the Tech coach or the Anchorage coach or something. They filled within.

This is my own opinion about hiring Lucia's replacement, but I think it's going to be a Minnesota guy. By that I mean, he's from Minnesota, he played at the U and maybe even coached at the U.

How often did we hear griping from people in the hockey community questioning Lucia's commitment to Minnesota, given his Notre Dame background? They would complain when he was at Notre Dame events or helping them raise money or participating in alma mater activities.

I don't think the athletic department is going to want to go through that again. Just my opinion.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Yes, I agree. Although it may be foolish to only consider hiring a Gopher alumni, in order to please the masses and the local hockey community of Gopher Nation (which includes donations), they will go with someone like Guentzel, Stauber, or Potulny.

Comment

Anastos

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    At 8:25 ET Saturday night the Gophers were better than 90% to make the tournament. Then everything that could go wrong went wrong and less than 72 hours later the coach is out.

Existence advances towards one at an extreme velocity.
                    Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                    I don't think Lucia was thinking the end was quite so near when Potulny left. The slide at the end of the season this year really put a nail in the coffin. I'm not sure he would have been offered the job if he stayed. My guess is UM will look for a coach with more experience, and probably head coaching experience.
                    If you believe what Lucia said in his presser, he said it wouldn't have changed his mind much about stepping down even if they had made the NCAAs and won a game or two.

Based on his comment about questioning why he was at a bantam game in August and how much longer did he want to do that kind of stuff, I'm inclined to think he was being truthful lol.
                    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

The Montreal Canadiens basically require that their coach can speak french. Just as dumb as requiring a coach to be an alum. Lucia mentioned how in the entire history of Gopher hockey they had three titles before him. He won 2 himself, so 40% in a 19 year period. Hiring a non alum seemed to work out pretty well. Just hire the best coach you can.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        The Montreal Canadiens basically require that their coach can speak french. Just as dumb as requiring a coach to be an alum. Lucia mentioned how in the entire history of Gopher hockey they had three titles before him. He won 2 himself, so 40% in a 19 year period. Hiring a non alum seemed to work out pretty well. Just hire the best coach you can.
                        Yeah, the Canadiens did and look how much they have improved!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                          Odds makers would never put Potulny at 0%.
                          Or Guentzel at 75%. He has no head coaching experience. He's in the running, but I doubt he's that prohibitive of a favorite. I'd say Motzko and Hastings are at a much higher percentage.
                          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
                            Yes, I agree. Although it may be foolish to only consider hiring a Gopher alumni, in order to please the masses and the local hockey community of Gopher Nation (which includes donations), they will go with someone like Guentzel, Stauber, or Potulny.
                            You mean s handful of blowhard alums? Who cares what they think. I'd like to see the new coach have a state of MN connection, but mostly just hire the best coach.
                            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

get the guy from Air Force.. Serratore. He's solid.
                              If he's good enough for AF.. (he gets a ton out of those men).. would do wonders for Minny, g'luck.
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                They don't require an alum, just a tie to the state's hockey history, like Lucia growing up and playing HS hockey here.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X