Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

Originally posted by omahasioux1 View Post
    Watched the 36 minute clip on you tube. Complete class act.
    I watched it "live" with my wife at home. It got so emotional that at one point I actually struggled to hold back the tears. I guess after going to the games for so many years his departure means more to me than I realized. And you are so right, omahasioux1, Lucia is a "complete class act". Only it's not an act at all, he's as genuine as a coach can be.

Don't take any of this to mean that I didn't think a change was needed. It just took me longer than most to come to this conclusion. In a weird sort of way I was happy to hear Coach Lucia say that in the past couple of months he came to understand that it was time for him to move on. I wish him nothing but the best.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      I watched it "live" with my wife at home. It got so emotional that at one point I actually struggled to hold back the tears. I guess after going to the games for so many years his departure means more to me than I realized. And you are so right, omahasioux1, Lucia is a "complete class act". Only it's not an act at all, he's as genuine as a coach can be.

Don't take any of this to mean that I didn't think a change was needed. It just took me longer than most to come to this conclusion. In a weird sort of way I was happy to hear Coach Lucia say that in the past couple of months he came to understand that it was time for him to move on. I wish him nothing but the best.
      ^^^^^^^^^^^

It took until this year to fully admit there needed to be a change. It does NOT detract from tDon as a coach. No way. Fresh air injected into an organization is needed at times, probably more often in sports where you have a constant rotation of personnel (players). This is one of those times.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
        It may be a no brainer to you...it's not for others. I know plenty of coaches who are extremely happy being in the smaller environment for less money yes but also a lot less BS.
        So you are good enough friends with multiple D1 Hockey coaches that you have beers while they talk about their aspirations and dreams, and what is important in their lives? Lots of people were pretty sure this was exactly how Mel felt about Tech too, up until the news broke he was moving to UMi.

We don't know what an individual coach is really thinking, so to give absolutes on what they will decide is foolish.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
          I would love to hear the argument that the Gopher hockey job is the to position in NCAA hockey.
          Really? You honestly think hockey experts wouldn't agree? There are other choices that are clearly heads above that position? Name them. (And note, I said 'arguably' - which maybe you don't understand isn't a definitive statement, but suggests it is one of the top few programs and arguments could be made that it is THE top one, depending on what ranking criteria you weight the highest.)

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
            Really? You honestly think hockey experts wouldn't agree? There are other choices that are clearly heads above that position? Name them. (And note, I said 'arguably' - which maybe you don't understand isn't a definitive statement, but suggests it is one of the top few programs and arguments could be made that it is THE top one, depending on what ranking criteria you weight the highest.)
            I suspect some would argue that either the Michigan or BC positions might be more attractive. Both are with Minnesota among the blue bloods of college hockey. Both are located in prime recruiting areas and are going to win many more recruiting battles than they lose, like Minnesota, just because of who they are and where they play.

But there has to be a lot less alumni pressure on the hockey coaches at Michigan or BC than there is at Minnesota. I'm not sure most of the Michigan and BC alumni even know they have a hockey program.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              I suspect some would argue that either the Michigan or BC positions might be more attractive. Both are with Minnesota among the blue bloods of college hockey. Both are located in prime recruiting areas and are going to win many more recruiting battles than they lose, like Minnesota, just because of who they are and where they play.
              I'm a "little" biased but I would throw BU in there. We have five national championships. BC has been more "dominant" recently (since 2000) but they are both still top-flight programs. The BU facilities are first-rate and relatively new. Construction and campus expansion is booming and the academic reputation is growing. Also, given that hockey is the #1 sport at BU (no football team anymore), it is squarely at the top of the list as far as recognition and visibility go.

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              But there has to be a lot less alumni pressure on the hockey coaches at Michigan or BC than there is at Minnesota. I'm not sure most of the Michigan and BC alumni even know they have a hockey program.
              Not a BC alum (obviously) but I'm guessing they would vehemently disagree with you. And I KNOW there is a lot of pressure with the BU position. OK, I get it that it's not the entire STATE like at Minnesota, but alumni are alumni...everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                That's clearly what I am saying. I don't agree. You made the statement, dopey. I asked you to defend your statement and make the argument that it is the top job.

I understand definitions. You said arguably it is the top job. So what ranking criteria are the Gophers first in, aside from blowhard fans?
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  I'm a "little" biased but I would throw BU in there. We have five national championships. BC has been more "dominant" recently (since 2000) but they are both still top-flight programs. The BU facilities are first-rate and relatively new. Construction and campus expansion is booming and the academic reputation is growing. Also, given that hockey is the #1 sport at BU (no football team anymore), it is squarely at the top of the list as far as recognition and visibility go.

Not a BC alum (obviously) but I'm guessing they would vehemently disagree with you. And I KNOW there is a lot of pressure with the BU position. OK, I get it that it's not the entire STATE like at Minnesota, but alumni are alumni...everywhere.
                  The alumni pressure at Minnesota is crazy and over-the-top, which I am not sure is 100% a good thing.
                  @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                  On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                  High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                    I have ZERO idea how that relates to what I said.

CC was a better team when Lucia left to take the job at Minnesota. It has to do with potential.

I love the Twins, but if I were coaching them and the NYY or Dodgers (with their considerably higher resources) offered me more money to coach them, I'd take the offer in a heartbeat.

Loose analogy, I know, but I think the money and resources to win are big factors.
                    Not a direct reply to you per se...

I would love to think Motzko would never leave given his deep roots at SCSU but there is also no denying the U job is a **** attractive position. Yes, it comes with many landmines and obstacles but also tons of upside and prestige. It will all come down to what he wants out of his career. Does he feel the need for another/different challenge? Does the money matter much at this point?

I won't pretend to have the first clue what Motzko or the U are thinking....but truth is I shudder at the idea of him leaving Cloud and winning a National Championship at the U. That would $%*@ hurt. Not as much as losing to effn Ferris State but awfully close!
                    "Today I do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't." - Unknown

Between autocorrect, touch typing and a lack of desire or time to proofread on the internet, there are likely errors in any text I post. If pointing these out will add to your sense of self worth and validate your life, knock yourself out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                      That's clearly what I am saying. I don't agree. You made the statement, dopey. I asked you to defend your statement and make the argument that it is the top job.

I understand definitions. You said arguably it is the top job. So what ranking criteria are the Gophers first in, aside from blowhard fans?
                      lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Bottles View Post
                        Not a direct reply to you per se...

I would love to think Motzko would never leave given his deep roots at SCSU but there is also no denying the U job is a **** attractive position. Yes, it comes with many landmines and obstacles but also tons of upside and prestige. It will all come down to what he wants out of his career. Does he feel the need for another/different challenge? Does the money matter much at this point?

I won't pretend to have the first clue what Motzko or the U are thinking....but truth is I shudder at the idea of him leaving Cloud and winning a National Championship at the U. That would $%*@ hurt. Not as much as losing to effn Ferris State but awfully close!
                        Yeah, I really have no idea either. I can totally see it going either way if he is offered the job. I do think that SCSU will be completely fine either way. It's a great program.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          The Montreal Canadiens basically require that their coach can speak french. Just as dumb as requiring a coach to be an alum. Lucia mentioned how in the entire history of Gopher hockey they had three titles before him. He won 2 himself, so 40% in a 19 year period. Hiring a non alum seemed to work out pretty well. Just hire the best coach you can.
                          Bingo. I think the connection to the state of Minnesota is far more important than being an alum, and that is so that they have a good relationship with local coaching and an understanding of the local hockey culture for recruiting. Even that isn't a necessity IMO if the coach is good enough. I really could care less if the next coach is an alum or if some alums get upset if he's not.

Comment

I’ve been one thinking Lucia’s days are numbered for the past few seasons and have been worried for SCSU. Motzko may have SCSU roots but he would be the ideal hire with all his national junior team connections. With St. Cloud’s financial difficulties, I’m sure the U could make an offer SCSU could just come nowhere to matching.
                            Not as concerned about Sandelin-if I were worried about him going anywhere else it’d be UND. He doesn’t like the Gophers and gets his team primed to beat them. Only concern is Shannon Miller really f’d the school leaving them in an even harder place so they couldn’t counter an offer either but I still think Motzko is 10x more likely. Sandelin built up UMD’s program and it took a while so I just don’t see him being as much of a recipe for instant success for Gophers.
                            Really hoping it goes Guentzel, Potulny or some other long shot. GWOZ!!! Think they’re looking for younger than Gwoz and Blais? I suppose Gwoz coaching HS hockey in Colorado isn’t exactly making him a recruiting tool. Guentzel/Blais could be a combo though but Blais may not last long. I’m surprised he’s still coaching thought he wantded to retire but maybe that was just his Minnesotan excuse to leave UNO
                            Last edited by UMD21; 03-22-2018, 10:32 AM.
                            I wanna go fast!

Comment

No way on Blais. He's not even going to be considered.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

How much of an influence will Don have in saying who replaces him? He's already said publicly that he thinks Guentzel would make a great head coach and that he's familiar with it there. The fact that he's a alumni and has public support from Don makes me think he's already been the chosen one.

Comment

Working...
                                X