Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

Fair enough. I respect what Don has done for this program and he seems like a great guy.

And I actually agree with you that big picture wise he’s cemented his legacy, a very successful one at that, the first 9 years they were on a mostly upward trajectory with some unlucky hiccups towards the end due to questionable goaltending. My main argument isn’t being made to trash his legacy, I just really disagree that we shouldn’t have been more successful over the past decade and that the right hire realistically should be expected to do better than that.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 03-24-2018, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
      Nothing wrong with being technical, put more simply I get that factoring that into the analysis would be tougher to do. But I’m not going to get too enamored with win percentage when we know a lot of it is propped up by other factors such as the B1G being horrible and the Gophers basically sneaking in with an autobid one of those years and straight up missing altogether despite winning a league title in another. Looking at those years individually you have 4 good ones and 3 pretty bad ones.

5 NCAA’s in ten years is awful for this program no matter how you slice it. Your analysis sorta cut out those 3 years too because Don was ill, I don’t think that necessarily is as deserving of a pass as some do I guess and I’m not just gonna throw that data out. If you include it I’d hazard our win % isn’t as impressive.
      Based on your response, it seems to me you missed the basic inferentials of my post. There is no "factoring in" with the procedure I suggested. Moreover, measuring conference differentials is redundant for the two reasons I've already mentioned. A researcher would need to determine the constant in the LS regression equation that's a ""best fit". I hinted at what that would be.

Secondly, your comment about Don Lucia's illness is a bit harsh and unwarranted. When a person's fandom clouds one's ability to empathize regarding a serious illness of this nature, it's probably time to take a good look inside.

Symptoms of his illness began to appear near the beginning of the 2008-09 season. He was officially diagnosed with the auto-immune disease sarcoidosis in Dec. 2008. The disease can last for years. Immune system dysfunction from sarcoidosis can cause serious damage to vital organs, such as the brain, lungs, or heart and can be fatal. Obviously this became a serious concern for Don and his family while under the pressure of the 2008-09 hockey season.

BTW severe stressors like coaching a high profile team like the Gophers is not recommended during recovery. In fact, continuing his coaching responsibilities most likely contributed to the longevity of his illness. During that time John Hill became the interim coach at times when Don was unable to perform his coaching duties.

Doctors at the Mayo Clinic prescribed a titration of steroids (most likely prednisone) several times per week. Don suffered adverse effects of the disease such as numbing of one side of his face, insomnia, lack of energy, loss of appetite and consistent psychological effects from the steroid medications.

Coach Lucia battled the disease for approximately two years from 2008-2010 which included the 2008-09 and 2009-10 seasons. He was cleared by his doctor in July 2010. INTERVIEW

Again, you misunderstood my post. My point was NOT to give Don Lucia "a pass", although coaching the Gophers under those adverse psychophysiological conditions most definitely deserves an asterisk. My post highlighted his body of work in the "recovery period" from his battle with the disease, during seasons 2011-2017. I didn't look at all NCAA teams, but only some of the major schools and coaches in D1. His winning % ranked third behind Jerry York and Hakstol/Berry during that period. All things considered, that's an "A" in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
        BTW severe stressors like coaching a high profile team like the Gophers is not recommended during recovery. In fact, continuing his coaching responsibilities most likely contributed to the longevity of his illness. During that time John Hill became the interim coach at times when Don was unable to perform his coaching duties.
        I’m not blaming him for getting sick obviously but he needed to have better assistants at the time than John Hill (alongside a very green Grant P) and there were other factors that contributed to the problems of that era, namely recruiting, giving Patterson more ice time when Kangas was struggling, and I forget what the deal with Nate Schmidt was that first year (barely played). I get that with the steroid treatment and the illness that he probably wasn’t all that easy going at the time and I certainly don’t blame him for any of that. I think it is fair to blame him for some of the things that occurred pre-illness though that lead to that era being as bleak as it was and that’s sorta why I don’t think you can just write that whole era off due to illness and just ignore it altogether like some people seem to do.

That said the illness thing was incredibly unlucky and unfortunate and I’m happy that he can now retire (or whatever he plans to do next) in full health. I hope and imagine that the next coach won’t have to go through that. Between him and Jerry Kill there’s been some terrible luck with our coaches’ health.
        Last edited by trixR4kids; 03-25-2018, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Update:

How the Gophers hockey job Don Lucia left behind has changed dramatically

http://www.startribune.com/how-the-g...m_mid=76400073
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post

Again, you misunderstood my post. My point was NOT to give Don Lucia "a pass", although coaching the Gophers under those adverse psychophysiological conditions most definitely deserves an asterisk. My post highlighted his body of work in the "recovery period" from his battle with the disease, during seasons 2011-2017. I didn't look at all NCAA teams, but only some of the major schools and coaches in D1. His winning % ranked third behind Jerry York and Hakstol/Berry during that period. All things considered, that's an "A" in my book.
            And how do you quantify how much Lucia and the program was hurt by the incessant harping of the alumni and the constant complaining of the fan base after the seating/pricing fiasco and the switch to the BigTen.

With so much of the recruiting base in the neighborhood, I bet it sent potential players elsewhere.

And certainly it was not all Lucia's fault.

Comment

I think its going to be Guentzel or Potulny. There's too much outside pressure from donating alumni to hire someone that isn't a former gopher. And the small chance that Motzko or Hastings had got flushed down the drain on Friday.

Comment

It will not be potulny.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
                  I think its going to be Guentzel or Potulny. There's too much outside pressure from donating alumni to hire someone that isn't a former gopher. And the small chance that Motzko or Hastings had got flushed down the drain on Friday.
                  A) Guentzel and Potulny aren't the only alums being considered and B) alums didn't stop donating during the Lucia years and only a small group was bent out of shape that a non-alum was hired.

Not saying it won't or shouldn't be Guentzel (it won't be Potulny), but I won't be surprised if they went with another candidate either.

And I'm not writing off Motzko and Hastings after their team's performances. Both have very solid resumes, as do other candidates.
                  @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                  On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                  High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                    And how do you quantify how much Lucia and the program was hurt by the incessant harping of the alumni and the constant complaining of the fan base after the seating/pricing fiasco and the switch to the BigTen.

With so much of the recruiting base in the neighborhood, I bet it sent potential players elsewhere.

And certainly it was not all Lucia's fault.
                    Based on what hammy said on GPL the athletic department deserves its share of grief. Not updating the world class weight room, not getting the ice surface changes, milking the hockey program to pay for b-ball/football, the seating re-alignment and I’m sure I’ve missed a few things. Hopefully Coyle can fix this mess because it seems like quite the undertaking.

Also I don’t have any interest in Hastings. Motzko or Guentzel would probably be ok but if there’s a younger assistant out there with some previous head coaching and recruiting experience with a modern take on the game that’s who I’d prefer. Idk if that guy exists though.
                    Last edited by trixR4kids; 03-25-2018, 05:48 PM.

Comment

I have nothing against Mike Guentzel. I think he’s a fine coach.

Just curious though: If Guentzel is head coach material why hasn’t he been considered, much less taken, a head coaching job by now?

And if you’re Mark Coyle do you really want to hire a 55(?) year old coach to run a highly visible program only to hire his replacement in 10 or less years?

Comment

If in ten years both Coyle and Guentzel are still here, that will have been an incredibly successful run for the both of them.

You don’t stick around ten years in any job without having major successes.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
                          I have nothing against Mike Guentzel. I think he’s a fine coach.

Just curious though: If Guentzel is head coach material why hasn’t he been considered, much less taken, a head coaching job by now?

And if you’re Mark Coyle do you really want to hire a 55(?) year old coach to run a highly visible program only to hire his replacement in 10 or less years?
                          Good questions. By comparison, after Hakstol took the job with the Flyers, Berry was named head coach on the UND website the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
                            I think its going to be Guentzel or Potulny. There's too much outside pressure from donating alumni to hire someone that isn't a former gopher.
                            Ya but Guentzel is FROM Minnesota. He wins by default

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              If tDon made the tourney this year, I bet he would have come back next year, just to finish out his contract, and the U would have been scouting out a replacement. How things turned out this year accelerated that, I think, and the extra noise that fence-sitting fans (like me) finally made may have or may have not added to that decision. Until this year, I was on the "keep tDon" bandwagon, but barely.
                              Well, Lucia said in his press conference that getting in to the tournament and/or winning a game or two wouldn't have changed his mind about stepping down after the season was over. Whether you want to believe that or not is up to you. But between that and Coyle wanting to see 'postseason success', I have to imagine that sneaking into the tourney and going one and done would have been the end of Lucia.
                              "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
                                Because he loves Minnesota? I like Mike and I'm all for him getting the job if it plays out that way, but I get the skepticism too. I think Mike was content here and he came back to Minnesota after his stint in Omaha under the pretense that the head coaching position would be his one day. Is it far fetched to believe that when things were going smoothly here that he turned down head coaching opportunities elsewhere to stay in Minnesota where (hopefully) his dream job would be one day?
                                "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X